Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Refunds/Cancellations Due to Illness/Death" Thread {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 8, 2024, 11:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is Consolidated "Refunds/Cancellations Due to Illness/Death" Thread [Merged]

The refund process
1) You cancel the trip prior to day of departure. You will receive a notice of cancellation and nothing else.

2) You have 1 year from the original purchase date to reschedule travel (the new trip has to start within that one year period). The new travel must be in the same name as the original ticket. Keep the record locator (PNR) and e-ticket number to reference when rescheduling. (This will be a FFC)

3) At the time of rescheduling you will need to paid in full with new money the change fee. You will be able to apply the full purchase price of the original trip toward the new trip. The rescheduling /credit is handled by modifying the canceled record (not by start a brand new reservation and applying a credit).

4) If the new trip is less expensive, you will receive an e-voucher good for future travel. The e-voucher is good for 1 year from when it was issued and can be used by anyone.

5) After paying the full change fee, If requesting a refund, you need to applied to UA for a medical waiver (E-Ticket refund). When applying for the refund you will need to provide documentation (there is a method for uploading documents)In the case of relative or traveling companion's death: Please provide a death certificate.
If you are sick: Please provide a doctors note advising you not to fly.
If you have an immediate family who is sick: Please provide the name, address and telephone number of the hospital where they are admitted and the name of their doctor.
If you have jury duty: Please provide a copy of your jury duty notice.
If approved, our change fee will be refunded minus a $50 processing charge.

Note: If the medical certification forbids travel in the one year period, a full refund to original method of payment (versus e-voucher) is possible. There will see be a $50 processing fee.
United Airlines drops $50 fee for hardship refunds Nov 2015

From UA's Contract of Carriage {13 Dec 2013}
If a Passenger is unable to commence or continue travel because of the death or serious illness of the Passenger, the Passengers immediate family member(s), or the Passengers traveling companion(s), UA may waive or refund any applicable change fees (less a processing fee) associated with changing the ticket(s).
Immediate Family Member means spouse, children, step-children, foster children, legally adopted wards, son/daughter-in-law, grandchildren, parents, step-parents, legal guardians, mother/father-in-law, grandparents, brother/sister, step-brother/sister, half-brother/sister, brother/sister-in-law, aunts/uncles and nieces/nephews.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Refunds/Cancellations Due to Illness/Death" Thread {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2007, 7:15 pm

Sorry again... musta had my "can't read it properly" hat on as well as the cynical one...

Didn't mean to be unsympathetic.. I was actually referring to the protocol 1Kpath was talking about.... not your specific situation... hope the little one recovers quickly!! I share your pain to a small extent.. I had to cancel that CNZ deal too... Pales into insignificance alongside the welfare of a child I know....but it still hurt!

To put the airlines in the position of being obliged to reschedule anyone without charge when "illness" intervenes would be problematic I reckon.... maybe the delay (and resistance from the airlines) is at least partly the result of an inability to come up with mutually acceptable parameters for both eligible conditions AND appropriate verification?

Surely, if introduced, the protocol would have to be limited to contagious (and I don't mean transmissable by sexual contact etc...) or relatively "serious" conditions.. not "I won't enjoy my holiday as much feeling like this"..... and call me a nasty untrusting type.. but do we really think airlines should have to waive standard (reasonable? industry wide?) change fees on their cheapest, most restricted fares on the word of, say, the family GP.. who the patient has been friends with for 25 years? (For example)

Tol' ya I was a nasty untrusting type didn't I???

As I implied earlier.. I work in an industry where absenteeism is a real problem..... so I probably have developed a deeply cynical attitude to such matters..... funny how so many of our people seem to only get sick on Monday or Friday for example......... a modern medical mystery indeed....

Last edited by trooper; Dec 7, 2007 at 7:23 pm
Old Dec 7, 2007, 7:58 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
what has transpired with your daughter and changing the flight w/o reprice ?
Old Dec 7, 2007, 9:26 pm

Programs: Former DL DM and UA 1k, now a J class free agent (UA Gold, AS MVP Gold)
Originally Posted by Sweet Willie
what has transpired with your daughter and changing the flight w/o reprice ?
Prior to calling UA, we took a look at our schedule to try and find a good time to ask to reschedule it to, but we couldn't find any time that worked with our schedule. So in the end, we just decided to cancel and refund the tickets, without trying to change them.

She's being doing better this evening, so maybe we could have made it. But her vomitting 10 times between 7am and 3pm today was enough to make the call to cancel.
Old Dec 8, 2007, 2:49 am

Programs: UA LT GS 4.12MM (4.08MM BIS), AA EXP 1.86MM ,DL DM 1.1MM, HH LT Diamond, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by trooper
Sorry again... musta had my "can't read it properly" hat on as well as the cynical one...

Didn't mean to be unsympathetic.. I was actually referring to the protocol 1Kpath was talking about.... not your specific situation... hope the little one recovers quickly!! I share your pain to a small extent.. I had to cancel that CNZ deal too... Pales into insignificance alongside the welfare of a child I know....but it still hurt!

To put the airlines in the position of being obliged to reschedule anyone without charge when "illness" intervenes would be problematic I reckon.... maybe the delay (and resistance from the airlines) is at least partly the result of an inability to come up with mutually acceptable parameters for both eligible conditions AND appropriate verification?

Surely, if introduced, the protocol would have to be limited to contagious (and I don't mean transmissable by sexual contact etc...) or relatively "serious" conditions.. not "I won't enjoy my holiday as much feeling like this"..... and call me a nasty untrusting type.. but do we really think airlines should have to waive standard (reasonable? industry wide?) change fees on their cheapest, most restricted fares on the word of, say, the family GP.. who the patient has been friends with for 25 years? (For example)

Tol' ya I was a nasty untrusting type didn't I???

As I implied earlier.. I work in an industry where absenteeism is a real problem..... so I probably have developed a deeply cynical attitude to such matters..... funny how so many of our people seem to only get sick on Monday or Friday for example......... a modern medical mystery indeed....

...and I work in an "industry" in which absenteeism is usually caused by hospitalization and death...and yes, I would choose to trust the family GP over a UA "its the bottom line" manager or heaven forbid an ICC agent reading a script!!...we are dealing with public health here and the lives and welfare of many people...one sick person on an airplane can have disasterous results...I know there has to be a balance but the airlines have not shown any concern for the health of the traveling public!!...Now off my soapbox!!
Old Dec 8, 2007, 5:33 pm

Programs: Former DL DM and UA 1k, now a J class free agent (UA Gold, AS MVP Gold)
Well, she's better now, and it looks like we could have done alright on the flight, if we had tried.

I'm glad she's better, but a little bummed that we missed out on this deal. Hopefully someone finds something similar soon, as I could really use a vacation.

If I had made this trip I'd make 1P for next year once you count my connecting flights and the EQM bonus. As it stands now, I'll fall just short of 2P and be subject to E-.
Old Dec 8, 2007, 6:20 pm

Programs: UA MM, AS MVPG75K, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by SEA-Flyer
If I had made this trip I'd make 1P for next year once you count my connecting flights and the EQM bonus. As it stands now, I'll fall just short of 2P and be subject to E-.
How short is just short of 2P? A quick MR to BOI from Seattle can be had for $150 and it nets 2400 EQM. Toss in an e-Cert and get ready to use up a Sunday... then you're at least 2P again for $50.
Old Dec 8, 2007, 7:34 pm

Couldn't agree more about the need for "balance"... which is why I am so concerned that it would be very, very, difficult to achieve...

One can only wish those involved the best of luck!
Old Dec 10, 2007, 10:33 pm

Programs: Marriott Ti, OW Ruby
Question Trying to help elderly lady with ticket refund

Hello.
An elderly neighbour of mine had to cancel a non refundable ticket (SFO-JFK) due to illness.
She has a note from her doctor so this was a real medical no-show.

Although the flight / journey had to be scrapped (september 11th), she would like to go this coming year.

The problem is, she booked the ticket so far in advance (jan.'07)that the "1 year from time of booking " to use the ticket would mean she would have to go to New York before jan 26th 2008. She doesn't want to go to NY in the winter!!

Q. Has anyone had any luck with the time to use the ticket being 1 year from the "Date of departure" and not "date of purchase"?

I have tried to see who would be the best person to contact at United reg. this and have the following list:-

Barbara Higgins- VP customer service
Graham Atkinson-Exc.VP and Chief Customer officer
Judith Bishop-VP customer contact center
Pamela Coslet GM-customer relations.

Q. If anyone has any thoughts as to the correct person listed above or suggestions for others at UA who may be helpful please let me know.

Lastly, she would love not to have to pay the $100 change fee ,but she is prepared to. However if United isn't flexible on the "1 year from Ticketing date " rule , she's left being penalized for booking too far in advance

Any input would be great^

Thanks.
Old Dec 10, 2007, 10:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Have you tried just contacting customer relations/a lower customer service level? I see no reason to escalate this to a VP immediately, seems like an overkill.
Old Dec 10, 2007, 11:18 pm

Hello Lucky9876coins and thanks for the reply.

With regards to your comment my neighbour sent a letter, doctors note, copy of e-ticket ,etc to UA's refund department on October 30th (certified mail) and has yet to get a reply. Nothing.

Being as "the clock is ticking" on the "1 year from ticketing date " problem, I'm trying to provide an address that might be more responsive to her request/situation.
Old Dec 10, 2007, 11:24 pm

Programs: Sixt Platinum, Avis Preferred Plus, Hertz President's Circle, Hilton Diamond
Wow, that's new to me. You try calling again to see if you can get a different agent?

I had no problem postponing my award tickets several years in advance and was told it's perfectly fine. I wasn't sick and did not come up with an excuse. Maybe it's different for paid tickets.
Old Dec 11, 2007, 12:08 am

[QUOTE
I had no problem postponing my award tickets several years in advance and was told it's perfectly fine. I wasn't sick and did not come up with an excuse. Maybe it's different for paid tickets.[/QUOTE]

Hello Wiggums and thanks for the reply.

It might well be different for award tix's ,as miles ,not cash are involved.
Still, you'd think UA would not ding folks who book well in advance for trips if their plans have to change due to illness.
Old Dec 11, 2007, 5:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
wiggums - you are 1K, so it might have been a refund and rebook for those award tickets to extend them so far. As fees are waived for you, the agent may have just left you in the dark as far as what they did in the background.

I don't know if they will waive the 1 year rule for the ticket, I'd actually be very surprised if they did. What your friend may want to attempt is a refund due to the medical issue. Read their fare rules and see if that is a possibility (less the $100 change fee)
Old Dec 11, 2007, 8:08 am

[QUOTE=GoingAway
I don't know if they will waive the 1 year rule for the ticket, I'd actually be very surprised if they did. What your friend may want to attempt is a refund due to the medical issue. Read their fare rules and see if that is a possibility (less the $100 change fee)[/QUOTE]

Hello GoingAway and thanks for the reply.

You might be on to something with the "refund due to medical reasons".
Has anyone had any success when this has happened to them, and if so who or how did you go about it?

Thanks in advance for any replies
Old Dec 11, 2007, 8:10 am

Programs: AA 'kettle', Marriott Gold, ICH Gld, Hertz 5*
IIRC, the new itinerary must be ticketed within a year of the previous ticket issue date, though not necessarily flown within that period. Has that changed? Most fare rules I've seen allow for waiving of change fees for medical reasons and some allow refunds. Only a perusal of the actual fare rules will give the answers. Someone with access to Apollo should be able to help (define her rights) if UA won't.

If nothing has changed (wrt ticketing), one strategy, if no definitive flights/trips present themselves, would be to buy a refundable/changeable ticket with the credit and then rebook later when something attractive appears. She's not getting any younger, ya know

Pat

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.