Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Refunds/Cancellations Due to Illness/Death" Thread {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 8, 2024, 11:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is Consolidated "Refunds/Cancellations Due to Illness/Death" Thread [Merged]

The refund process
1) You cancel the trip prior to day of departure. You will receive a notice of cancellation and nothing else.

2) You have 1 year from the original purchase date to reschedule travel (the new trip has to start within that one year period). The new travel must be in the same name as the original ticket. Keep the record locator (PNR) and e-ticket number to reference when rescheduling. (This will be a FFC)

3) At the time of rescheduling you will need to paid in full with new money the change fee. You will be able to apply the full purchase price of the original trip toward the new trip. The rescheduling /credit is handled by modifying the canceled record (not by start a brand new reservation and applying a credit).

4) If the new trip is less expensive, you will receive an e-voucher good for future travel. The e-voucher is good for 1 year from when it was issued and can be used by anyone.

5) After paying the full change fee, If requesting a refund, you need to applied to UA for a medical waiver (E-Ticket refund). When applying for the refund you will need to provide documentation (there is a method for uploading documents)In the case of relative or traveling companion's death: Please provide a death certificate.
If you are sick: Please provide a doctor’s note advising you not to fly.
If you have an immediate family who is sick: Please provide the name, address and telephone number of the hospital where they are admitted and the name of their doctor.
If you have jury duty: Please provide a copy of your jury duty notice.
If approved, our change fee will be refunded minus a $50 processing charge.

Note: If the medical certification forbids travel in the one year period, a full refund to original method of payment (versus e-voucher) is possible. There will see be a $50 processing fee.
United Airlines drops $50 fee for hardship refunds Nov 2015

From UA's Contract of Carriage {13 Dec 2013}
If a Passenger is unable to commence or continue travel because of the death or serious illness of the Passenger, the Passenger’s immediate family member(s), or the Passenger’s traveling companion(s), UA may waive or refund any applicable change fees (less a processing fee) associated with changing the ticket(s).
Immediate Family Member means spouse, children, step-children, foster children, legally adopted wards, son/daughter-in-law, grandchildren, parents, step-parents, legal guardians, mother/father-in-law, grandparents, brother/sister, step-brother/sister, half-brother/sister, brother/sister-in-law, aunts/uncles and nieces/nephews.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2005, 9:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM

I recently purchased tkts for my in-laws to take them to Hawaii in Feb. but now one of them is having more serious health problems and will most likely be unable to take the trip. What are the chances of UA refunding, not crediting, both fares? I'm sure we could get a letter from her doctor and I am a 1K who was planning on taking the trip with them. Anyone have any experience with this? Thanks.
Old Dec 18, 2005, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Jac747
I recently purchased tkts for my in-laws to take them to Hawaii in Feb. but now one of them is having more serious health problems and will most likely be unable to take the trip. What are the chances of UA refunding, not crediting, both fares? I'm sure we could get a letter from her doctor and I am a 1K who was planning on taking the trip with them. Anyone have any experience with this? Thanks.
0%
Old Dec 18, 2005, 9:51 am

Programs: United 1P, Delta GM, HH Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by lucky9876coins
0%
Not at all true. The OP's status plus verifiable health concerns that preclude the in-laws from flying should help the cause.
Old Dec 18, 2005, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 90minfromJFK-CDG
Not at all true. The OP's status plus verifiable health concerns that preclude the in-laws from flying should help the cause.
Well, maybe you are right, if you catch someone on a really good day. I have never heard of a case where a ticket could be cancelled for "health reasons". Anyway, please report back what happens.
Old Dec 18, 2005, 10:02 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, AC *S, Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Explorist
Well, maybe you are right, if you catch someone on a really good day. I have never heard of a case where a ticket could be cancelled for "health reasons". Anyway, please report back what happens.
Almost all the fare rules that i have seen say "non refundable. waived in case of serious illness / death of family member"

now it all depends on what "serious" is...

Cheers
Old Dec 18, 2005, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sadiqhassan
Almost all the fare rules that i have seen say "non refundable. waived in case of serious illness / death of family member"

now it all depends on what "serious" is...

Cheers
Never seen this...........
Old Dec 18, 2005, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nah.
Never seen this...........
Have you ever looked at the full fare rules for ... any UA fare? It's there.
Old Dec 18, 2005, 10:27 am

Programs: Sixt Platinum, Avis Preferred Plus, Hertz President's Circle, Hilton Diamond
I can't find anywhere where it says it's refundable due to illness, serious or not. I am looking at it now... it's a long list, did a search of "ill" or "sick" - nothing. I kept hitting "will" but absolutely no "ill" or "illness"
Old Dec 18, 2005, 10:34 am

Programs: *G, ow Saph
I was looking at tickets recently and reading the fare rules for the first time. It was definitely in there on an M fare. It was also ex-Int'l origin point, so there were a number of rules that I hadn't seen before on domestic fares.
But I've also rarely read through the complete domestic rules. I would be surprised if it's in there on a $200 S or T fare, but would be surprised if it isn't on some of the higher fare classes.
Old Dec 18, 2005, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Have read fare rules, and don't see it.
Old Dec 18, 2005, 11:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM
I will give it a try in any case, and even if they would credit the tkts to my account for a year, I'd be happy.
Old Dec 18, 2005, 11:04 am
In memoriam

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Starwood Platinum, a nothing in several others
Here is an example of the rules for my upcomming trip to SIN
16. PENALTIES
UNLESS OTHERWISE SPECIFIED
CANCELLATIONS
BEFORE DEPARTURE
TICKET IS NON-REFUNDABLE.
WAIVED FOR ILLNESS OR DEATH OF PASSENGER OR FAMILY
MEMBER.
NOTE -
THE CHARGE IS WAIVED IN CASE OF ILLNESS OF
PASSENGER OR TRAVELING COMPANION OR DEATH OF
PASSENGER/FAMILY MEMBER/TRAVELING COMPANION.
VALID MEDICAL/DEATH CERTIFICATE IS REQUIRED.
AFTER DEPARTURE
NOTE -
PASSENGER/FAMILY MEMBER/TRAVELING COMPANION. VALID
MEDICAL/DEATH CERTIFICATE IS REQUIRED.
Old Dec 18, 2005, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gfowler-ord-1k
Here is an example of the rules for my upcomming trip to SIN
16. PENALTIES
UNLESS OTHERWISE SPECIFIED
CANCELLATIONS
BEFORE DEPARTURE
WAIVED FOR ILLNESS OR DEATH OF PASSENGER OR FAMILY
MEMBER.
NOTE -
PASSENGER/FAMILY MEMBER/TRAVELING COMPANION.
VALID MEDICAL/DEATH CERTIFICATE IS REQUIRED.
AFTER DEPARTURE
NOTE -
PASSENGER/FAMILY MEMBER/TRAVELING COMPANION. VALID
MEDICAL/DEATH CERTIFICATE IS REQUIRED.
WOW! I stand corrected. My mistake.
Old Dec 18, 2005, 11:44 am
Suspended

WOW! I stand corrected. My mistake.
Yes. It was. Bad Lucky.
Old Dec 18, 2005, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BenjaminNYC
Yes. It was. Bad Lucky.
Good BJ

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.