Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Refunds/Cancellations Due to Illness/Death" Thread {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 8, 2024, 11:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is Consolidated "Refunds/Cancellations Due to Illness/Death" Thread [Merged]

The refund process
1) You cancel the trip prior to day of departure. You will receive a notice of cancellation and nothing else.

2) You have 1 year from the original purchase date to reschedule travel (the new trip has to start within that one year period). The new travel must be in the same name as the original ticket. Keep the record locator (PNR) and e-ticket number to reference when rescheduling. (This will be a FFC)

3) At the time of rescheduling you will need to paid in full with new money the change fee. You will be able to apply the full purchase price of the original trip toward the new trip. The rescheduling /credit is handled by modifying the canceled record (not by start a brand new reservation and applying a credit).

4) If the new trip is less expensive, you will receive an e-voucher good for future travel. The e-voucher is good for 1 year from when it was issued and can be used by anyone.

5) After paying the full change fee, If requesting a refund, you need to applied to UA for a medical waiver (E-Ticket refund). When applying for the refund you will need to provide documentation (there is a method for uploading documents)In the case of relative or traveling companion's death: Please provide a death certificate.
If you are sick: Please provide a doctors note advising you not to fly.
If you have an immediate family who is sick: Please provide the name, address and telephone number of the hospital where they are admitted and the name of their doctor.
If you have jury duty: Please provide a copy of your jury duty notice.
If approved, our change fee will be refunded minus a $50 processing charge.

Note: If the medical certification forbids travel in the one year period, a full refund to original method of payment (versus e-voucher) is possible. There will see be a $50 processing fee.
United Airlines drops $50 fee for hardship refunds Nov 2015

From UA's Contract of Carriage {13 Dec 2013}
If a Passenger is unable to commence or continue travel because of the death or serious illness of the Passenger, the Passengers immediate family member(s), or the Passengers traveling companion(s), UA may waive or refund any applicable change fees (less a processing fee) associated with changing the ticket(s).
Immediate Family Member means spouse, children, step-children, foster children, legally adopted wards, son/daughter-in-law, grandchildren, parents, step-parents, legal guardians, mother/father-in-law, grandparents, brother/sister, step-brother/sister, half-brother/sister, brother/sister-in-law, aunts/uncles and nieces/nephews.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Refunds/Cancellations Due to Illness/Death" Thread {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2006, 2:16 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Well, isn't this what travel insurance is for? Cancellation/delay in the case of sudden medical emergencies or sickness?
Old Dec 7, 2007, 10:47 am

Programs: Former DL DM and UA 1k, now a J class free agent (UA Gold, AS MVP Gold)
Exclamation Was took sick to fly, what happens?

We were scheduled to leave on the Auckland deal today . However, our daughter is sick this morning (having thrown up several times ), so it probably isn't the best idea to take her on the plane.

I know we can refund this ticket. However, is there anyway I can reschedule it due to medical reasons, without triggering a refare?
Old Dec 7, 2007, 11:22 am
In memoriam

Programs: Kimpton IC, Hyatt Diamond, Gold Marriott, Lifetime Platinum Starwood
Most likely not. I hope your daughter feels better and it's nothing serious.
Old Dec 7, 2007, 11:37 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM / AA PP, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Cross your fingers she gets better by departure time?

After that, I guess attempt to beg and plead... perhaps a doctors note will help? I really don't know, I've never been in a similar situation... tell us how it goes and hope shes better soon- whether you travel or not.
Old Dec 7, 2007, 11:46 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
IIRC the AKL deal booked in full C (not discounted)... so it should be changeable.
Old Dec 7, 2007, 11:51 am

Programs: Former DL DM and UA 1k, now a J class free agent (UA Gold, AS MVP Gold)
Originally Posted by jhayes_1780
IIRC the AKL deal booked in full C (not discounted)... so it should be changeable.
It is full C but changes to the first flight trigger a reprice - not a problem normally, but a huge problem ($$$) with these tickets because of how much the fare is now versus the time they were purchased.
Old Dec 7, 2007, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Agree with others that you may be out of luck, but I don't have any expeirence with this. If you do get anywhere, please let us know so we can learn from it.
Old Dec 7, 2007, 12:41 pm

Programs: United/Star Alliance - 1K
Show up at the gate, have her vomit, and then in front of all the pax tell them it's up to UA whether everyone else on the plane gets sick.
Old Dec 7, 2007, 1:20 pm

Programs: UA1K, IC RA, *wood Plt, AA EXP, LH Sen, HH Gold, Hyatt Diamond, EK Gold
Only vomiting? How old? Keep the food intake on the low side or no food at all for next 12 hrs. Give her some fluids and Reglan. Take it with you on the plane. Can be given every 6 hours. Take Imodium with you if diarrea develops.
Old Dec 7, 2007, 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by flying MD
Only vomiting? How old? Keep the food intake on the low side or no food at all for next 12 hrs. Give her some fluids and Reglan. Take it with you on the plane. Can be given every 6 hours. Take Imodium with you if diarrea develops.
23 months old. It appears that she has a cold and that the mucus / post nasal drip is irritating her stomach. She hasn't eaten at all today, just had some pedialyte, but she's already on her 5th outfit of the day. No way she's travelling anywhere.
Old Dec 7, 2007, 2:06 pm

Programs: UA1K, IC RA, *wood Plt, AA EXP, LH Sen, HH Gold, Hyatt Diamond, EK Gold
I agree. Too young. Thought she was older. Anyway, good luck with a change. Hope she feels better very soon.
Old Dec 7, 2007, 2:30 pm

Programs: UA LT GS 4.12MM (4.08MM BIS), AA EXP 1.86MM ,DL DM 1.1MM, HH LT Diamond, SPG Platinum
A doctor's note can help...I have written a number of them for family members who have been sick and they have been able to change flights without a penality from UA...it also probably helps if you get understanding agent...and as an epidemiologist/pathologist working with WHO, I would advise postponing...more so for the protection of your fellow travellers...For years WHO has been trying to develop a travel protocol that will allow sick travellers to postpone travel without penalty...needless to say, airlines have resisted this demonstrating that their bottom line is more important than public health!...you would be shocked at what we find on aircraft...on surfaces and in the air!...and, yes, on our beloved UA. We are fortunate that our immune systems is so effective!
Old Dec 7, 2007, 2:58 pm

I must be in a cynical mood.. sorry!

Isn't this what travel insurance is for??

I'm sorry to say but I can only imagine the abuses of such a system.... Buy the cheapest restricted ticket... then get "sick" when you decide to change it.......

A Doctors certificate? From which Doc? One YOU choose?

I could believe it would work if it was a Doc nominated by the airline (or preferably an independent third party) but I have seen too many abuses of sick leave provisions in my industry (ever heard of Doctor Days-off or Doctor How-long? Popular folks indeed...) to really blame the airlines for their stance....

Hmmmm.... tough one....
Old Dec 7, 2007, 3:15 pm

Unhappy

Originally Posted by trooper
I must be in a cynical mood.. sorry!

Isn't this what travel insurance is for??

I'm sorry to say but I can only imagine the abuses of such a system.... Buy the cheapest restricted ticket... then get "sick" when you decide to change it.......

A Doctors certificate? From which Doc? One YOU choose?

I could believe it would work if it was a Doc nominated by the airline (or preferably an independent third party) but I have seen too many abuses of sick leave provisions in my industry (ever heard of Doctor Days-off or Doctor How-long? Popular folks indeed...) to really blame the airlines for their stance....

Hmmmm.... tough one....
Travel insurance wouldn't have been much use in this case, as it is a refundable fare to begin with. What I was hoping to do was re-ticket without re-pricing - but travel insurance wouldn't cover that anyways.

We took a look at our schedule, and couldn't find any other time when it would have made sense to go, so we ended up just refunding the tickets without bothering to try to change them.

Thanks everyone for your help and suggestions.
Old Dec 7, 2007, 6:01 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
I booked Mom on a ticket on Airfare.com and saved $200. She needs to have a tumor taken out so I rescheduled the trip. Regardless of any reason for change, the fee is $350. So I'll go back to the bomb next time, no more airfare.com for me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.