Wiki Posts
Search

Snack Rules in Economy

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2024, 8:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: United Mileage Plus Premier Executive
Snack Rules in Economy

Does United have a rule for one free snack for person in economy? I usually never ask for more than one free snack, but decided to ask for a chocolate and savory mix from DEN to BOS. The FA gave me the two small snacks and then said we do not give out more than one small snack after she already gave the two snacks.

I asked if she would like one back as I was not aware of this rule and there is no sign or announcement made. She said no as I already touched it. If having more than one snack is not allowed she should have just said it before giving me two ( this was after United had already delayed thr flight more than 1.5). A simple request is an easy way to make a flight more comfortable.

On Delta I have asked offered more than one snack.

It was funny as I just flew ORD to LAX on United and a FA offered me more than one chocolate without even asking. She was great. It continues to amaze me how bad United is at basic service these days. United is also so inconsistent as the rules in service change from flight to flight. You can tell United spends very little money in actually training their FAs in how to provide service.
Old Feb 4, 2024, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Really depends on the FA. Some will offer you more even if you only ask for one.

My simple wish is FA paying attention. I should not have to say three times for a can of seltzer, and asking for no ice does not compute to a cup full of ice.
TXJeepGuy likes this.
Old Feb 4, 2024, 8:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Not a "rule" per se, but just remember that UA is the cheapest of the US majors and everything will make more sense.

Flying F on UA last year, my GF was refused a second item from the snack basket. The FA practically slapped her hand.

Last edited by Kacee; Feb 4, 2024 at 9:15 am
Old Feb 4, 2024, 9:27 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
You can always go back to the galley after they've completed their first round and get more. Never been questioned then.
Old Feb 4, 2024, 10:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: United Mileage Plus Premier Executive
That is true. They should just make an announcement or put a sign on the cart if it annoys them that much that someone asks for two snacks. I never would have asked if I knew she would scold me for doing so. She also could have just said no before she gave me two snacks. On Delta I have had FAs in coach make up a nice snack basket and offer people more snacks when they leave the bathroom. It was a very nice touch. Never have seen that on United. It was just so funny as my next flight after the one I was scolded for asking for two the FA ask the whole row if everyone wanted two snacks. It is very hard to know what to expect as a passenger on United.
Old Feb 4, 2024, 10:47 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Kacee
Not a "rule" per se, but just remember that UA is the cheapest of the US majors and everything will make more sense.

Flying F on UA last year, my GF was refused a second item from the snack basket. The FA practically slapped her hand.
This is YMMV on all carriers. The UA FA the other night practically forced me to try everything in the basket. Whereas I’ve been chastised on DL for taking two things.

There’s no rule to my knowledge, just an FA being weird
narvik likes this.
Old Feb 4, 2024, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
It could me just a power issue: small people, small rules.
Old Feb 4, 2024, 11:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Whenever they have a choice, I ask for one of each and have never been denied.
Old Feb 4, 2024, 11:39 am

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
now i read what happened to the OP differently...of course I was not there to hear tone or body language.

It seemed to me she was being nice, she wanted you to have 2, but she still was obligated to read you the letter of the "law". By giving them to you, then saying she couldn't take it back, it meant she wanted you to have it. Otherwise she would have told you up front "one per customer".
SPN Lifer, nancypants and ZenFlyer like this.
Old Feb 4, 2024, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
I think depends on the FAs. A little kindness goes a long way towards future goodwill. I've fortunately had more kindness than callousness on UA. If it was flipped, I would have changed carriers or would change.
United747 likes this.
Old Feb 4, 2024, 1:25 pm

Programs: UA1K
I think it’s usually to make sure everyone can have their first choice of snack. The only times I’ve been told no, they’ve always come back to me after the initial service with the additional snack I requested.

I usually sit closer to the front of the plane but a few weeks ago I was in the very last row and the FA gave me one of each of the three choices
bmwe92fan likes this.
Old Feb 4, 2024, 1:30 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by unitedwildcat
I think it’s usually to make sure everyone can have their first choice of snack. The only times I’ve been told no, they’ve always come back to me after the initial service with the additional snack I requested.

I usually sit closer to the front of the plane but a few weeks ago I was in the very last row and the FA gave me one of each of the three choices
For thirty-five years this has been my strategy -- even in F -- I always just say if there are any left over after you get done with the service I'd love one more / one of those... This strategy provided me with so many Bischoff's over the years....
SPN Lifer and hhdl like this.
Old Feb 4, 2024, 1:59 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
For thirty-five years this has been my strategy -- even in F -- I always just say if there are any left over after you get done with the service I'd love one more / one of those... This strategy provided me with so many Bischoff's over the years....
Yes, this strategy has netted me another sundae in Polaris on many a flight.
Old Feb 4, 2024, 8:07 pm

When sitting in Y and the FA comes around with the basket of the small snacks, I usually just grab two items myself. If they don't put the basket in front of me, I have not had any denial when asking for two.
Old Feb 4, 2024, 10:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by MHively
When sitting in Y and the FA comes around with the basket of the small snacks, I usually just grab two items myself. If they don't put the basket in front of me, I have not had any denial when asking for two.
yeah, I sometimes ask. Especially when I’m on my way home traveling alone and ask if it’s ok to grab a couple of extras for the kids. I won’t say I’ve never been denied, but it’s almost always not a problem.

I can see them being strict if they know they don’t have many left.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.