Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

How are "lifetime miles" calculated for MileagePlus? {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 3, 2024, 9:46 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is How are "lifetime miles" calculated for MileagePlus?

Million Miler Program
Mileage accrual for Million Miler qualification is based on the flight distance of United- and United Express-operated flights.
With United's change to PQPs and PQFs, UA no longer provides information on flight / "BIS" mile
United no longer shows the BIS mileage. For now, the app is showing segment miles during booking -- but united.com is not.
Presently using UA's timetable to research the flight, the flight miles are provided

Alternatively, you can use third-party tools like, gcmap to get a number. It may differ from UA's number by a few miles
Building a UA city pair BIS table
And finally, you can trust UA to track your miles (There have been very, very few instances of issues and less recently)
  • For elites, there is 500 lifetime mile minimum for UA/UX flights. (still true in 2020 and PQP/PQF era)
  • There is no elite bonus or class of service bonus.
  • BIS miles = PQMs for 100% fares
  • Bus operated land connections booked as UA flight numbers earn lifetime miles
  • No partner flights earn UA lifetime miles.
  • Flight number / codeshare / ticket stock does not matter -- as long as it is a United-operated flight that is being credited to UA MP program.
  • No credit card activity earns UA lifetime miles
  • Only paid flights (including BULK / most consolidator tickets), no credit for award flights
  • There is no method for purchasing lifetime miles
  • Basic Economy segments are non-mileage earning and do not earn lifetime miles In the second iteration of BE (2018Q4), LT mileage earning appears to have been restored (100% 50% of BIS)
  • Lapchild tickets are non-mileage earning including lifetime miles
There was a complicated adjustment of lifetime miles at the time of the UA/CO merger due to the different programs & earning rules, including that CO granted lifetime miles for partner flights, PQM bonuses, and some credit card activity. But the above are the present rules.

Post-merge, COPA flights also accumulated UA lifetime miles, that ceased in July 2015 when COPA left MileagePlus.

What if I use miles to purchase the trip? Does that earn Lifetime Miles?
Depends
If you are using just UA miles and only paying cash for the taxes, as an award trip, it does not qualify for Lifetime miles
However
If you are using points from a credit card to purchase a ticket on their site, then the trip qualifies
If you are booking an economy ticket but using miles to upgrade, then the trip qualifies
If you are using the Money+Miles payment option, then the trip qualifies (regardless of the amount paid by miles)
If you are purchasing with a Chase creditcard and then using miles as a statement credit, then the trip qualifies
What about purchasing with "Money+Miles"?
100% Lifetime Miles earning
see What is the "Book with Money and Miles" option ?

Related Threads
MileagePlus Million Mile (and Beyond) Flyer Benefits [2014 forward]
Million Miler companion benefit
Building a UA city pair BIS table
Print Wikipost

How are "lifetime miles" calculated for MileagePlus? {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2012, 8:17 am

Originally Posted by craz
If it was me Id go into my acct and 1stly get the MM # as of 12/31 (look for the statement that ended then). Then Id write up alist of all my flights and what the EQMs were suppose to be and see if all the EQMs flown on CO or UA metal in '12 added to the MM amount on 12/31 agrees with what CO is showing you are at today.
Although I'm not the OP, out of curiosity, I wanted to check my account. I don't see lifetime miles listed in any of the monthly statements available on-line (will need to check the old printouts from when I used to get them). Am I missing something, or is the lifetime miles total only available on the My Account summary page?
Old Oct 19, 2012, 8:40 am

Originally Posted by jpezaris
Although I'm not the OP, out of curiosity, I wanted to check my account. I don't see lifetime miles listed in any of the monthly statements available on-line (will need to check the old printouts from when I used to get them). Am I missing something, or is the lifetime miles total only available on the My Account summary page?
Where can I see my lifetime flight miles?
Lifetime flight miles
"Your lifetime flight miles balance is viewable on the My Account section of united.com, after you log in with your MileagePlus account number and password or PIN."

I can't find anywhere else that these Lifetime miles appear except on the "My Account" (FRONT) page either!
Old Oct 19, 2012, 8:44 am

Originally Posted by LilAbner
Where can I see my lifetime flight miles?
Lifetime flight miles
"Your lifetime flight miles balance is viewable on the My Account section of united.com, after you log in with your MileagePlus account number and password or PIN."

I can't find anywhere else that these Lifetime miles appear except on the "My Account" (FRONT) page either!
They don't exist anywhere except the front page + on the mobile app (Account page).
Old Oct 26, 2012, 11:45 pm

If I get pass million life time miles, say, in February, will I become a million miler immediately or have I got to wait till the next year?
Old Oct 27, 2012, 1:00 am

Programs: UA 1K-MM
Originally Posted by Wong1234
If I get pass million life time miles, say, in February, will I become a million miler immediately or have I got to wait till the next year?
Technically neither one - it will take (hopefully) a few days to become effective on your profile, but you definitely don't have to wait until the next year!
Old Apr 24, 2013, 7:54 am

Programs: UA 1K, IHG Platinum Ambassador, Marriott Gold
Lifetime miles - Do United Express flights operated by Skywest or Mesa count?

I know that flights booked through UA and flown with a different carrier, ie Lufthansa do not count toward your lifetime flight miles. Do United Express flights operated by Skywest or Mesa count? I would assume they do, but I was just curious.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Apr 24, 2013 at 8:14 am Reason: ask question in thread titles, please
Old Apr 24, 2013, 7:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Yes. Be careful - some UX carriers (Silver) are sometimes UX, sometimes not.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
United Express flights operated by other carriers count - but those same carriers doing their own branded flying do not.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 10:52 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
If the flight shows up as "xxx doing business as United Express" I believe they should count. The biggest area this appears to be a problem is w/r/t Silver Airways, where the flight shows a UA #, is listed as "Silver Airways dba UAX," and yet United denies credit for the miles altogether, won't allow for award redemptions on those flights, etc.; for whatever reason, these are being treated by UA as if they were partner flights on Silver, vs. Silver dba UA.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 2:32 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Nexus, GE
I just had a UX flight post as Republic Airlines, not as United Express in my mileage summary. That's the first time I've seen that.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 3:20 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by astroflyer
I just had a UX flight post as Republic Airlines, not as United Express in my mileage summary. That's the first time I've seen that.
I've seen that for several UX operators; they've always credited correctly though when it comes to the bottom line.
Old May 3, 2013, 2:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, DL Silver, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, HHonor Gold, Hertz President's Circle
Question on Million Miler

Does it have to be on UA's own metal?

What about those cross Atlantic revenue share flights with LH and CX?
Old May 3, 2013, 2:38 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Yes. United, United Express, and Copa only.

http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont.../lifetime.aspx

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; May 3, 2013 at 2:45 pm
Old May 3, 2013, 3:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K /2mm / Marriott Lifetime Titanium , Hilton Diamond
A couple of things come out of this thread...

1st, count me among the well warned but somehow oblivious to the drop off of partner flights. My US flights indeed show as EQMs (and not as an uptick in MM tallies). I hadn't noticed, but what are you gonna do? UA doesn't fly to some of these places.

2nd - the UAx flights that list as Republic or other. As they count for EQMs and RDMs, I never thought to assure that they were counting for MMs. Obviously they should.

Even after the merger and the mm adjustment, I have > 10 years as a 1K and right at 700k lifetime miles. While i have some fare bonus and a trace of double EQMs, the main reason for the gap is partner flights.
Old May 3, 2013, 3:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by cmculp
A couple of things come out of this thread...

1st, count me among the well warned but somehow oblivious to the drop off of partner flights. My US flights indeed show as EQMs (and not as an uptick in MM tallies). I hadn't noticed, but what are you gonna do? UA doesn't fly to some of these places.

2nd - the UAx flights that list as Republic or other. As they count for EQMs and RDMs, I never thought to assure that they were counting for MMs. Obviously they should.

Even after the merger and the mm adjustment, I have > 10 years as a 1K and right at 700k lifetime miles. While i have some fare bonus and a trace of double EQMs, the main reason for the gap is partner flights.
But the partner flights should've counted as part of the one-time adjustment.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.