Community
Wiki Posts
Search

My Observations As A GS Newbie

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2024, 10:59 am

Programs: UA 1 MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by Kmxu
It was amazing to read your post. Please keep documenting your newbie experience in the coming 12 months.
eightblack: Proof that a sense of humor goes a long way to helping HVFs endure Scott Kirby's airline.
SPN Lifer and eightblack like this.
Old Jan 21, 2024, 11:45 am

Programs: UA GS, UA 2MM, HH LT Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium
Nice one, mate.
cesco.g, SPN Lifer and eightblack like this.
Old Jan 21, 2024, 9:55 pm

Programs: United GS, MM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Best post Ive read in a while!
cesco.g likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2024, 1:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Great post -- I want to know what happened to your ANA trip. I presume yu neglected to cancel before departure and were marked as a no-show with the accompanying penalty.
Old Jan 22, 2024, 2:42 am
Moderator, Trip Reports
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS-2MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by Xyzzy
Great post -- I want to know what happened to your ANA trip. I presume yu neglected to cancel before departure and were marked as a no-show with the accompanying penalty.
@Xyzzy I tried to cancel it multiple times. Called 3 times. Was told in the most polite way to pound sand. In Japanese. And then I actually found the cancellation form online, filled it in and submitted it before flight departure time. Received an email a day later and said too bad, so sad. Or something to that effect. I have tried calling several times and resigned myself to the fact that I will have to actually fly to NRT for a sushi lunch and to take care of this!
SPN Lifer, Xyzzy and Dublin_rfk like this.
Old Jan 22, 2024, 2:48 am

Programs: LH SEN
That OP post was so Aussie that I was kind of disappointed there was no strewth nor flaming galahs dropped.
eightblack and hhdl like this.
Old Jan 22, 2024, 2:53 am

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by eightblack
@Xyzzy I tried to cancel it multiple times. Called 3 times. Was told in the most polite way to pound sand. In Japanese. And then I actually found the cancellation form online, filled it in and submitted it before flight departure time. Received an email a day later and said too bad, so sad. Or something to that effect. I have tried calling several times and resigned myself to the fact that I will have to actually fly to NRT for a sushi lunch and to take care of this!
Let me guess -- these were separate tickets (UA/NH)? If so -- to NH you no-showed -- and as you know the Japanese love their rules.... Keep pushing back -- you might get lucky.... Check out the following page for details: ANA Award Ticket -- Changes & Refunds

Two key issues you have:

1) "If the reserved flight was not canceled prior to its departure time, the unused award will not be eligible for refunds."
2) You can't cancel online "When the itinerary contains flights departing within 24 hours." - I found this out the hard way too...

I would suggest to NH that according to the rules you have to cancel during normal business hours -- but it was the middle of the night in Japan -- so you could not comply...
Xyzzy likes this.

Last edited by bmwe92fan; Jan 22, 2024 at 3:02 am
Old Jan 22, 2024, 3:07 am
Moderator, Trip Reports
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
Let me guess -- these were separate tickets (UA/NH)? If so -- to NH you no-showed -- and as you know the Japanese love their rules.... Keep pushing back -- you might get lucky.... Check out the following page for details: ANA Award Ticket -- Changes & Refunds

Two key issues you have:

1) "If the reserved flight was not canceled prior to its departure time, the unused award will not be eligible for refunds."
2) You can't cancel online "When the itinerary contains flights departing within 24 hours." - I found this out the hard way too...

I would suggest to NH that according to the rules you have to cancel during normal business hours -- but it was the middle of the night in Japan -- so you could not comply...
Thanks for the insight bmwe92fan I appreciate it. I'm not going to lose too much sleep over it. It just makes me appreciate UA's website and how easy it is to cancel and change tickets. ANA's website literally makes you want to shove your head in a microwave and yell "crikey" out loud.
Xyzzy likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2024, 3:09 am

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Thanks for the insight bmwe92fan I appreciate it. I'm not going to lose too much sleep over it. It just makes me appreciate UA's website and how easy it is to cancel and change tickets. ANA's website literally makes you want to shove your head in a microwave and yell "crikey" out loud.
Honestly -- it helps to be Japanese when dealing with their website -- to my wife it is extremely logical and follows the same structure as many Japanese websites... To me just trying to check in on the NH website is enough to make one drink heavily....

We are here in Tokyo heading to our other home in NYC this week -- will miss the weather here!

And yes we can slam UA for many things -- but the App and web interfaces are better than anything else I've used...
Old Jan 22, 2024, 11:02 am

Love reading such posts - Ill never be GS (or even Gold) - do dip into Silver now and again - but its good to dream! Thank you for allowing folks like me a peek behind the curtain 🙃
eightblack likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2024, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
I just want to say your business gets mentioned all the time in various Facebook groups geared towards parents with kids at a large school near you.
Old Jan 22, 2024, 12:52 pm
Moderator, Trip Reports
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pseudoswede
I just want to say your business gets mentioned all the time in various Facebook groups geared towards parents with kids at a large school near you.
I hate the Bookface! And yes, apparently it does

Thankfully that part of the business is run by some much smarter people than me and who have a lot more patience!
pseudoswede likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2024, 5:39 pm
Moderator, Trip Reports
Original Poster

Honestly -- it helps to be Japanese when dealing with their website -- to my wife it is extremely logical and follows the same structure as many Japanese websites... To me just trying to check in on the NH website is enough to make one drink heavily....
You would be proud of me bmwe92fan as I persisted and persisted and persisted.

Finally got thru to the lovely Vanessa (after 40 mins on hold) this morning who was based in LAX. After explaining my predicament and trying my best to convey that my bottom lip was quivering, she was able to coax the ANA system in giving me back my miles with zero penalty. And I didnt even have to use the F word once.

Sometimes my greatness scares even me
Old Jan 24, 2024, 7:23 am

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
You would be proud of me bmwe92fan as I persisted and persisted and persisted.

Finally got thru to the lovely Vanessa (after 40 mins on hold) this morning who was based in LAX. After explaining my predicament and trying my best to convey that my bottom lip was quivering, she was able to coax the ANA system in giving me back my miles with zero penalty. And I didnt even have to use the F word once.

Sometimes my greatness scares even me
Were you at least in your underwear prancing around the kitchen when you made the successful call?

I've never tried this tactic but based on your postings seems to work. I'll have to keep it in mind next time I have a difficult ticket to change on UA. Really have difficulty seeing how this worked with NH though. Your poor children.
Old Jan 24, 2024, 7:51 am

Programs: Hyatt Glob; UA 1K; BonVoyage LTT (RIP SPG); HH Dia; JX Insighter
to my wife it is extremely logical and follows the same structure as many Japanese websites
This says more about the structure of Japanese websites broadly than anything else...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.