Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Luggage monetization

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2024, 7:46 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by Lux Flyer
Keeping in mind, packaged as such it would appear to fall under UA's fragile item policy and they'd have no liability for failing to deliver or completely smashing it (within the US) or giving you the cost of a banana (international)..

https://www.united.com/en/us/fly/bag...ble-items.html
Yes! And the traveler needs to sign a waiver confirming that fact.
Old Jan 8, 2024, 12:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K
There were some startups which aimed to monetize unused luggage allowances -- marketplaces like "I need someone flying from SFO to PVG in the next 72 hours to bring 3 bags up to 70lb, we'll meet you at both airports and give you $50, of course you are free to look through the contents of the bag before and after". I don't think any of them survived the 2020 cull of travel but it was an interesting market for sure.

You could do this yourself by getting to the airport a little early, standing at the front of the checkin queue, asking people where they're going, and offering to sell your baggage allowance to anyone who's on the same flight as you and doesn't otherwise get free bags.
Old Jan 8, 2024, 8:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
United gave out bonus miles for checking bags in late '22 (if I recall correctly on the period). I checked in an empty bag
Old Jan 8, 2024, 9:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Repooc17
United gave out bonus miles for checking bags in late '22 (if I recall correctly on the period). I checked in an empty bag
I dont get it. Why would they?
Old Jan 8, 2024, 10:14 pm

Originally Posted by mherdeg
There were some startups which aimed to monetize unused luggage allowances -- marketplaces like "I need someone flying from SFO to PVG in the next 72 hours to bring 3 bags up to 70lb, we'll meet you at both airports and give you $50, of course you are free to look through the contents of the bag before and after". I don't think any of them survived the 2020 cull of travel but it was an interesting market for sure.

You could do this yourself by getting to the airport a little early, standing at the front of the checkin queue, asking people where they're going, and offering to sell your baggage allowance to anyone who's on the same flight as you and doesn't otherwise get free bags.
This is a good way to get imprisoned or, depending on which country you are traveling to, executed.
Old Jan 8, 2024, 10:15 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Believe it was one of those MilePlay options.
Old Jan 8, 2024, 10:18 pm

On the flip side to checked luggage... I wonder how much boarding time United could save by incentivizing people to not bring carry-on luggage. If they could save 10 minutes per flight then I imagine that'd translate into a significant amount of money from the increased schedule flexibility. Other (foreign) airlines can board large planes in significantly less time.
Old Jan 8, 2024, 10:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by mherdeg (Post # 32)
Originally Posted by blackllotus (Post # 35)
This is a good way to get imprisoned or, depending on which country you are traveling to, executed.
In other words, even if you inspect the luggage you would be carrying, there could be illegal drugs hidden inside.
Old Jan 8, 2024, 11:20 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by blackllotus
On the flip side to checked luggage... I wonder how much boarding time United could save by incentivizing people to not bring carry-on luggage. If they could save 10 minutes per flight then I imagine that'd translate into a significant amount of money from the increased schedule flexibility. Other (foreign) airlines can board large planes in significantly less time.
As a many year 1K and now a nobody on UA but now flying Southwest which doesnt charge for luggage it wouldnt change passenger behavior. People dont like to check baggage even if free, and I totally understand. We recently got screwed by Southwest and waited 45 minutes for luggage at LAS, would have been fine as we had A boarding passes in hindsight. Doesnt matter, UA has screwed me to, although always taken care of me. Point being free luggage doesnt equal fast exit and in Vegas no less. UA have failed as as well iMO.

I rarely checked luggage as a 1K, and never had a desire to even think about money back. Despite the faults I might think, UA has been good to me over the decades. Close to million miler and this 1,00,000 on my improvement list.
SPN Lifer and Silver Fox like this.

Last edited by COSPILOT; Jan 8, 2024 at 11:29 pm
Old Jan 9, 2024, 7:03 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by chavala
I dont get it. Why would they?
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Believe it was one of those MilePlay options.
Yes - one week promotion to use the baggage drop shortcut, amongst other tasks.
drewguy likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2024, 7:08 am

Originally Posted by PTahCha
Check a banana on your next trip to fully utilize all of your benefits.

forget a like button! I just spewed coffee onto my tablet as I laughed.

in terms of the OP wanting serious concrete answers - maybe, just supposition on my part, you are getting the answers you are due to the inane characteristics of your question. On a different airline I also get 3x70. I sometimes have two and other times three bags. But my TOTAL weight never exceeds 30-35 Kilo! (66- 77 lbs) Its just easier for me to handle! I would never dream to ask for anything back! My ticket and my status includes the POTENTIAL for 210 lbs (95 kilo). It is my choice not to use it!
Old Jan 9, 2024, 8:57 am

If congress/regulator required airlines to refund the unused free quota, the obvious result would be that airlines would no longer give a free luggage quota. Besides that, people have trouble getting refunds for cancelled flights, so more refunds is not going to make the system work better.
Old Jan 9, 2024, 9:03 am

Originally Posted by PTahCha
Check a banana on your next trip to fully utilize all of your benefits.

No. No. It has to be in a case to check it. The cases are called "banana guards"
Old Jan 9, 2024, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Ok! I got it now. I am slow today and It took a while to digest.

A restaurant that offers me free unlimited water and bread or if I order a dish that comes with vegetables or any other side dishes, salad dressing or sauce etc,. When I decide not to eat/drink or decline the side dish, dressing, salt/pepper, etc, I should be entitled for a refund or find a party that will be willing to drink the free water, eat the free bread and willing to pay for the dressing/salt/pepper/sauce or even the napkins I dont use.

The suggestion by OP has wider implications than just the airlines. How about hotel stays? If I dont use the gym/pool, use the shampoo, soap, or the computer terminal to print the board passes, do I get a refund or can I ask someone to enjoy the benefits?

I buy a car that offers warranty and free oil change for three years, can I get a refund for not wanting them? The list goes on
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2024, 9:32 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
^ I have had hotels offer a $1 credit (or something) if I decline the morning newspaper . . . though I think that was when newspapers were more of a thing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.