Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2024 Let's Eat - Polaris Business

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2024, 7:06 am

Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
Thanks for posting the menu. How was the meal?

I am flying this route later this month.
Good! See my thoughts in post 720
UA_Flyer likes this.
Old May 13, 2024, 7:08 am

Taiwan > USA - May 2024

Old May 13, 2024, 7:13 am

Originally Posted by fumje
SIN-SFO menu:

Will report later this week if there's anything worth reporting (good or bad).

From the way over, cheese plate apparently is back on this route. Cheese was not good, and I'd have preferred a ziplock from the LHR UC.
Slightly confused, what is a ziplock from the LHR UC?
Old May 13, 2024, 7:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by kmersh
Slightly confused, what is a ziplock from the LHR UC?
Bit of an inside joke from a different thread where a lady was taking items out of the United Club (UC) in a ziplock bag.

Do you take stuff from United Club? or seen others do that?
HadesNL and WheelsUpGal like this.
Old May 13, 2024, 10:25 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
MUC-IAH, goat cheesecake was good as advertised, my SO told the FA to tell me they were out of it
Both the fish and beef were excellent. They DID have the grilled cheese sandwich available mid-flight as well!
Excellent flight overall, lone downside was that only a single bottle of Whispering Angel was loaded.
narvik, HadesNL and VRFast like this.
Old May 13, 2024, 10:30 am

Programs: AA PP, UA 1K/MM, WoH Globalist, HH Gold
Originally Posted by FlightNurse
We are talking long haul flights not domestic flights, FA's get some training, but they can also learn.
Yes, we are talking about long haul flights.

And the inconsistent service does reflect the some training they receive. If they had regular/better training, the service could be at least better even with the mediocre items that United provides.
Old May 13, 2024, 11:25 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by kirkwoodj
MUC-IAH, goat cheesecake was good as advertised, my SO told the FA to tell me they were out of it

Originally Posted by kirkwoodj
They DID have the grilled cheese sandwich available mid-flight as well!
I had an interesting "grilled cheese sandwich" experience recently: I asked FA if I could have the sandwich to which he replied yes, but it would take about 20 minutes. Yet he immediately came back with the sandwich, which turned out to be awful, as it was likely a leftover from someone else's order from hours ago.
Lesson learned: if the grilled cheese sandwich comes out too fast, reject!
HadesNL and VRFast like this.
Old May 13, 2024, 4:00 pm
formerly a193991
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG, SBB-CFF-FFS First Class GA
Originally Posted by HadesNL
Adding my contribution to the group,
it was a full flight this time but service was still well meaning.

Service as others have noted have returned to normal prepandemic style.
No more 1 tray plonked to fit all....
Now 1st stage : salad + choice of appetizer
~ after finishing
2nd stage : main dish
* 2x pass from the bread basket
3rd stage : dessert trolly presentation

Offtopic:
Overheard on the PA system,
the inflight supervisor making the announcement due to the high amount of transfer passengers with onwards connecting flights:
- if you have in IAH an UA to UA international connection : luggage is now automatic forwarded, no need to wait at the belt to collect luggage and recheck again
- if you have in IAH an UA to NH (ANA: Al Nippon Airways) international connection : luggage is now automatic forwarded, no need to wait at the belt and recheck again
- if you have in IAH an UA to UA domestic connection : one must collect luggage at the belt, proceed through customs and recheck again

So you know....there is still the unpredicatable joy of transit immigration passport control though

UA 21
AMS - IAH
11.15 - 14.50

Menu : AMS - EWR on Thursday 9 May 2024

Salad
House salad with carrot, sweet corn, red pepper and mixed leaves

APPETIZER 2 Goat cheese cheesecake with roasted figs, dill sprigs and red onion marmalade

APPETIZER 1 Lemongrass confit king prawns with vegetable slaw, semi-dried tomato and chervil

Entre Main dish

Roast chicken breast with garlic potatoes, grilled asparagus, tomatoes, Cajun corn and Memphis barbecue sauce

Grilled salmon

with garlic mashed potatoes, asparagus, roasted lemon and herb butter sauce

DESSERT

Ice cream sundae

Vanilla ice cream scoop with assorted toppings

Lemon meringue

Assorted cheese plate with grapes and crackers

=====
Inbetween meal snack basket in the galley was a bit sad this time:
- fruits
- left over dessert
- lily o brien salted dark chocolate
- cream onion chive chips
- spiced corn

=====
2nd meal service before arrival
(About 1H 15 min before landing)

Wellington burger with Cheddar cheese on a brioche bun
(declined ketchup to go for mustard)

Or opt for

Vegetarian chili with braised wild rice

And that concludes my brief pictorial of the meal service.
It won't win any awards but it was sufficient and tasty enough.

Passport control took about 30-40 minutes at 14.50 H arrival on Thursday 9 May 2024

same menu on todays ZRH-ORD flight 12.

goat cheese was substituted by Caprese Salad.
i had the vegetarian, which was pretty good.
HadesNL and VRFast like this.
Old May 14, 2024, 7:55 am

Originally Posted by DiminishedSeventh

Food pics below.

Served in courses again. Id say Im at about 50/50 with FAs clearing the app and salad before bringing the main. This time it was cleared.

I went with the shrimp app - the creamy cocktail sauce was literally just thousand island dressing. Tasty though, no complaints. For the main I had the steak which was overcooked and pretty bland considering it was covered in sauce. There was no rapini as advertised, just some sad soggy over-steamed broccoli and wilty green onions. Yuck.

Oreo cheesecake was delightful as are most desserts in Polaris. Luckily I ate quite a bit in the Infinity lounge before leaving and then again in the Polaris lounge upon arrival so the IFMs werent a huge deal. Mostly got it for the FT review lol.

Got the congee again for pre-arrival. This one was seasoned much better and also the croissant was warm, flaky, and buttery; what a surprise!

HadesNL likes this.
Old May 14, 2024, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DiminishedSeventh
Food pics below.

Served in courses again. Id say Im at about 50/50 with FAs clearing the app and salad before bringing the main. This time it was cleared.

I went with the shrimp app - the creamy cocktail sauce was literally just thousand island dressing. Tasty though, no complaints. For the main I had the steak which was overcooked and pretty bland considering it was covered in sauce. There was no rapini as advertised, just some sad soggy over-steamed broccoli and wilty green onions. Yuck.

Oreo cheesecake was delightful as are most desserts in Polaris. Luckily I ate quite a bit in the Infinity lounge before leaving and then again in the Polaris lounge upon arrival so the IFMs werent a huge deal. Mostly got it for the FT review lol.

Got the congee again for pre-arrival. This one was seasoned much better and also the croissant was warm, flaky, and buttery; what a surprise!imgimgimgimgimg
Congee departing US always tastes like nothing. I think they make it with water instead of broth and don't add any salt at all.

Congee departing Asia usually tastes decent.
UA_Flyer and jd2000 like this.
Old May 14, 2024, 8:33 am

Originally Posted by fumje
Congee departing US always tastes like nothing. I think they make it with water instead of broth and don't add any salt at all.

Congee departing Asia usually tastes decent.
Agreed!!
jd2000 likes this.
Old May 14, 2024, 11:20 am

Programs: UA Global Services 3.2 MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, AA Exec Plat
HKG-SFO 9 May 1115 am 773 seat 9L

PDB of water or sparkling wine.

Slippers at seat; asked for PJs and got them.

Hot towel followed by nuts and choice of beverage.

Salad and shrimp appetizer that saw the shrimp cut into mm-sized cross sections instead of whole shrimp. Memories of the split cashews! No bread basket.

My fish main was really good!

Chocolate dessert cake was dry but whipped cream helped.

Asked for the cheese toastie mid-flight and it arrived about a minute later and hard as a rock. Just look how appetizing the photo looks. Another data point for the quick arrival means someone elses unwanted one theory. I would say it was inedible except I still managed to choke down about 80% of it. Celery soup was very bland.

Cheese plate helped save the day.

Pre-arrival congee was fine but would have preferred an egg option.

Very lethargic crew, a far cry from the amazing SFO-HKG crew from a few days earlier.

Infinite1K, narvik and VRFast like this.
Old May 14, 2024, 12:02 pm

Programs: AA PP, UA 1K/MM, WoH Globalist, HH Gold
Originally Posted by st530
That chocolate cake looks like a brownie…
VRFast likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 14, 2024 at 2:38 pm Reason: Avoid quoting multiple non-relevant images for the sake of those with small screens
Old May 15, 2024, 4:46 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Avoid quoting multiple non-relevant images for the sake of those with small screens
Can we make this a rule for this thread?
It's REALLY difficult to sift through a dozen huge pictures only to see a simple, one-line reply at the very bottom.
ijgordon, SPN Lifer, wrp96 and 5 others like this.
Old May 15, 2024, 6:20 am

Programs: UA GS 2MM
Originally Posted by narvik
Can we make this a rule for this thread?
It's REALLY difficult to sift through a dozen huge pictures only to see a simple, one-line reply at the very bottom.
Can we also make a rule that you dont need to post photos of the ramekin of nuts (it hasnt changed in decades), your Coke Zero (seen them before), or your sundae (its the same on every flight, except ex-USA you can get chocolate chips).

Just kiddingkeep them coming, food photographers! Maybe one day we can document an improvement in meal quality.
UA_Flyer, HadesNL and WheelsUpGal like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.