Wiki Posts
Search

2024 Let's Eat - Polaris Business

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2024, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by kirkwoodj
The shrimp stir fry is already out of stock 4 days before flight local time (SIN-SFO preorder pic above)! I'm gonna risk the steak
The chicken thigh dish (from December pre-order menu) was gone during the first day of the pre-order process. It was available when I logged in and when I clicked it, it was no longer available.
I wonder what is the point of pre-ordering. The whole point was to give the airlines time to prepare, but it seems they only loaded a few despite having the pre-order feature.
narvik likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2024, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
The chicken thigh dish (from December pre-order menu) was gone during the first day of the pre-order process. It was available when I logged in and when I clicked it, it was no longer available.
I wonder what is the point of pre-ordering. The whole point was to give the airlines time to prepare, but it seems they only loaded a few despite having the pre-order feature.
Very disappointing - UA is aware of the discontent over it. I hope it moves to a system more like AA/DL.
Old Jan 9, 2024, 1:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by Infinite1K
That lemon proportionally looks like the biggest piece of garnish I’ve seen. And a good way for United to fill up the dish and save some money in the process by not filling the plate with additional edible ingredient or larger portions of the existing items.
There must have been a sale on lemons.
Had a baked, half-lemon on EWR-HND with the salmon dish.
Infinite1K likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2024, 1:05 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
Curious to see if it's available to us GSs on-board in a few days...
Old Jan 9, 2024, 1:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kirkwoodj
Curious to see if it's available to us GSs on-board in a few days...
From my experience, don't count on it. The preorders get priority over all others. The crew might be able to free one up - I have had that happen - but they might not be able to do.

The preorder implementation is terrible.
Old Jan 9, 2024, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fumje
The preorder implementation is terrible.
That pretty much sums up every thing United does.
MatthewLAX and frutabell like this.
Old Jan 9, 2024, 2:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP. Hilton Diamond
UA 951 BRU-IAD 6 Jan

Went with the Roast Chicken Breast in BBQ sauce pre-order. Other options were the standard beef, a Salmon dish, and a pasta of some sort. Presentation was good so I had high hopes when they brought it to me, but the chicken was somewhat dry and the BBQ sauce not all that good. Veggies were ok, but meal was a little heavy on asparagus since the tomato pesto appetizer had it as well as the entree. Salad was pretty much a run of the mill greens and veggie salad.

Arrival entree was the Chicken sandwich with caramelized onions. Vegetarian chili was the other option. Despite how it looks, the sandwich was impossible to eat a sandwich, the bottom bun was glued to the dish and was completely soggy. Top bun crumbled. I had to eat it with a fork. You can't tell but it was very heavy on onions and they overwhelmed it flavor-wise. Fries were served very hot and mostly flavorless. They definitely needed some salt and ketchup.

I forgot to get a pic of the menu.

Old Jan 10, 2024, 2:04 am

Programs: United MP 1K, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by blackllotus
SFO - KIX Dec 25, 2023

I pre-ordered the Japanese-style meal. All-in-all pretty tasty and better than I expected.
The Japanese Chicken meal I had from EWR to HND on Jan 5 was single handedly the worst meal I had on a United flight. Shrimp salad was ice cold, rice was total mush and the grilled chicken was so chewy. The miso soup tasted like water. Yours looked way better prepared than mine was. There was one meatball thing in my miso soup and the salad was way different.

Luckily the crew was great and swapped mine out with the beef meal.
bmwe92fan likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 10, 2024 at 4:08 pm Reason: Please do not quote unneeded photos
Old Jan 11, 2024, 10:43 am

Programs: United, Southwest
An old UA menu from 2015:

Old Jan 11, 2024, 10:45 am

The rest of 2015. No wines listed. Only teasing!

Old Jan 11, 2024, 10:46 am

Menu from 2017:

Old Jan 11, 2024, 5:19 pm

Programs: -=- UA: GS + 3.9 Million Miler; Hilton: Diamond; Marriott: Gold; Hertz: President's Circle
Bad experience on UA882 HND-ORD today for meal service in Polaris. Specifically asked for Express Dining, indicating I wanted to get to sleep ASAP, and the FA wrote it down on the paper when she came around to confirm my pre-selection. More than 1hr after take off and the FAs were totally disorganized and doing drinks + nuts for the entire cabin. I asked, "could you check the status of my Express meal?" -- FA looked insulted that I asked and gave me some attitude. A few minutes later the excuses started -- (A) didn't turn the oven on in time; (B) didn't relay that a passenger wanted Express; (C.) unclear who is on first.

The Purser only made excuses. Failed to utter the important words of "We're sorry. We messed up." that is customer service 101.

Finally served about 1hr 20min after take-off. Hardly "Express".

The cabin was mostly full but only 3 GSs on the flight, including me, and a bunch of Y-to-C upgrades due to oversold Y.
SPN Lifer and bmwe92fan like this.
Old Jan 12, 2024, 3:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

IAD-FRA Jan 11

I have not posted UA meals for awhile because the quality of onboard meals have been subpar and not worth my time to take photos.

This is my first Polaris flight of the year, so I decided to take photos and post them as a benchmark for 2024, and we can judge whether improvement or deterioration for the coming year regardless waht UA’s marketing/PR are telling us.

Pre departure sparkling wine

Buffalo Trace is still the one!

Shrimp appetizer was excellent but salad was not worth taking the photo.

Pre ordered salmon entree

Skip the sugar (sundae) and went for the cheese plate

Pre-arrival breakfast - scramble eggs with kale/potatoes/chicken sausage
cesco.g, narvik, jasonp622 and 1 others like this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 12, 2024 at 1:09 pm
Old Jan 13, 2024, 4:35 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: UA GS; Marriott Titanium / LT Plat
Just an FYI - Here is the January EWR-DXB menu.

Anyone tried the Beef Tagine?
Old Jan 13, 2024, 7:35 am

This is the westbound UK transatlantic menu, LHR-ORD 958 11Jan. I had the beef appetizer with the preordered halibut, which was a fairly large chunky piece and tasted fine. The ice cream was a reasonable temperature, not too cold nor melted. My flight attendant was friendly and proactively offered a mattress pad which I appreciated, since I slept for a lot of the somewhat choppy flight. The Polaris cabin was only half full, although when someone tried to chance their luck by moving from their assigned middle to the window seat behind me, he got moved on, albeit to another window further back. The hemispheres magazine was dated from November 2023, but was unsigned.

menu food

menu wines

halibut

sundae
goodeats21 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.