Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2024 Let’s Eat — United First, United Business, & Premium Transcon Service

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2024 Let’s Eat — United First, United Business, & Premium Transcon Service

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2024, 8:30 am

Originally Posted by kirkwoodj
But it will be a sealed plastic tray with cheese & crackers, aka "Lunchable for grownups"
Then I will be expecting a culinary delight! :-)
kirkwoodj likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2024, 1:24 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Starbucks Gold, PF Chang's Warrior, Wine Century 100
UA 554 LAX-CLE Jan 25
1:25 pm departure
737-900ER seat 2B

PDB of water or mimosa
Jackets hung
Hot towels
Warm nuts served w/cocktail before lunch (I ordered the OF)
I chose the beef brisket based on reviews here, and the beef/gravy was tasty. Texture and flavor of the mashed potatoes similar to those that come out of a box. Not a fan of the spinach. Salad was fresh, and I liked the dessert.
FA walked the aisle with bottle of red and white wine after lunch was delivered.
Mid flight FA came through with a snack basket.
Really great crew, smiling, friendly and attentive.

Old Jan 26, 2024, 5:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by cricketer
All you people on page 1 who raved over the brisket, I want some of what you're having. I tried it out of SFO earlier this week based on this thread, and it was one of the worst things I have eaten on United. Possibly I went in expecting a bit too much, but I've selected the chili/polenta (which was good when I had it twice last year) for my next flight, and will do the ravioli (untested) for the one after. Not risking that brisket again, and my seatmate was really unhappy with the updated asian noodle salad. At least the dessert was decent and the bread was warm. Stale nuts before the meal to round it off.
Can you describe what the "worst thing" was? I've had it and it was quite good. I'm curious what made it so bad.
chavala likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2024, 5:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by paule123
...Warm nuts served w/cocktail before lunch (I ordered the OF)....
What's "OF"? "Offal" appropriately came to mind, but I don't think that's it.

Edit - "Old Fashioned" - figured it out in context
choch345, BlueZebra and hhdl like this.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Jan 26, 2024 at 5:47 pm
Old Jan 26, 2024, 11:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, Bonvoy Titanium & LTP, HH Gold, Accor Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by WIRunner
Can you describe what the "worst thing" was? I've had it and it was quite good. I'm curious what made it so bad.
The beef was utterly devoid of flavour, even with the sauce. Tasted like someone had put a lump of meat on a pan with nothing else and then cut it up. It wasn't the chewiest/rubberiest thing I've ever eaten, but there was nothing tender about it either. I emptied the entire salt and pepper packet on it to try and get some flavour in. The potato was firm in a way that mashed potato should never be. The spinach was the best of the three and it wasn't good - completely the opposite of everyone else's experience on here. Honestly, it seems like I probably just had really bad luck, but it's hard to give something that was genuinely bad a second chance.
Old Jan 27, 2024, 6:28 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by cricketer
All you people on page 1 who raved over the brisket, I want some of what you're having. I tried it out of SFO earlier this week based on this thread, and it was one of the worst things I have eaten on United. Possibly I went in expecting a bit too much, but I've selected the chili/polenta (which was good when I had it twice last year) for my next flight, and will do the ravioli (untested) for the one after. Not risking that brisket again, and my seatmate was really unhappy with the updated asian noodle salad. At least the dessert was decent and the bread was warm. Stale nuts before the meal to round it off.

That does not look the same as what I had (twice). It looks “shrunk”. And what’s that yellow stuff around the edges? grease?
(compare your photo with post#107)
Old Jan 27, 2024, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy LT Titanium, HH Gold, National Executive
Originally Posted by chavala
That does not look the same as what I had (twice). It looks “shrunk”. And what’s that yellow stuff around the edges? grease?
(compare your photo with post#107)
I think the issue is catering is not consistent, if you look at those who have posted the Brisket the plating is different in all the photos. AA has this issue too.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Jan 27, 2024, 5:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlightNurse
I think the issue is catering is not consistent, if you look at those who have posted the Brisket the plating is different in all the photos. AA has this issue too.
Most likely; out of IAH it was great like out of LAX and IAH as reported above.
Looks like ex-SFO seems to be no good.
Old Jan 28, 2024, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy LT Titanium, HH Gold, National Executive
Originally Posted by cesco.g
Most likely; out of IAH it was great like out of LAX and IAH as reported above.
Looks like ex-SFO seems to be no good.
Doesn't that make Catering Inconsistent?
Old Jan 28, 2024, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlightNurse
Doesn't that make Catering Inconsistent?
Seems that way. I read the quoted post as agreement ("most likely [yes]").
Old Jan 28, 2024, 2:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
1/19 UA221 SFO-MCO 10:50pm departure

The Asian noodle salad with beef is still my favorite dish up front. Had a little extra room so tried the brisket as well as over half the cabin was asleep and plenty of choices for first or second. Brisket looked good but flavor profile was definitely not quite there with no smoky or bold flavors. Mashed potatoes were gloopy and creamed spinach was pasty.

Old Jan 28, 2024, 2:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
1/20 UA1148 EWR-SFO 6pm departure Kosher Meal

After I heard the usual menu options of chicken with polenta or pasta, I knew I made the right choice. Kosher meal hasn't changed in ages either but at least it's still good out of EWR. A large chunk of beef short rib and quite tender as well. The root veggie side is nice and refreshing.

Old Jan 28, 2024, 8:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 1MM/AA ExecPlat & 1MM/DL Plat/HH Diamond/Marriott Titanium
Lunch on IAD-AUS operated by Republic E170

Turkey sandwich with grapes, salad and pie in the sky. Other option was a cheese plate.

Old Jan 28, 2024, 8:57 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, QR Silver, DL Silver
Any thoughts on the mochiko chicken ex HNL?

Old Jan 29, 2024, 2:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .59 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by VWang1111
1/19 UA221 SFO-MCO 10:50pm departure

Had a little extra room so tried the brisket as well as over half the cabin was asleep and plenty of choices for first or second. Brisket looked good but flavor profile was definitely not quite there with no smoky or bold flavors. Mashed potatoes were gloopy and creamed spinach was pasty.

The thought of delicious, easy-to-eat, gloopy mashed potatoes and delightfully textured, pasty creamed spinach is almost enough to get me to rush out and book a night flight to Orlando!

Bon appétit.

Fly the Friendly Skies!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.