Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2024 Letís Eat ó United First, United Business, & Premium Transcon Service

2024 Letís Eat ó United First, United Business, & Premium Transcon Service

Old Feb 4, 2024, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Tried the Asian noodle salad with beef on the side (LAX-BOS) - pretty bad. Did not touch the pie (desert), nor the rock hard bread.

Alaska has a noodle dish with beef (photo below)...tastes like what you would be served at a Chinese restaurant, with a lot of flavor. The United's version is simply a mess.

Old Feb 4, 2024, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Repooc17
Tried the Asian noodle salad with beef on the side (LAX-BOS) - pretty bad. Did not touch the pie (desert), nor the rock hard bread.

Alaska has a noodle dish with beef (photo below)...tastes like what you would be served at a Chinese restaurant, with a lot of flavor. The United's version is simply a mess.

I saw the picture first and thought UA was stepping up. Then I read post and saw Alaska salt/pepper packets. Cruel.
Just occurred to me - United cuts corners figuratively (cost/time) and literally (serving ware, which helps them in the figurative sense)
Repooc17 likes this.
Old Feb 4, 2024, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
You're getting pre-flight options on a widebody?

Nothing for us on LAX-HNL next week on the 772.
Preorder should be open on most flights now, including widebody. If you didn't get the email notification, the preorder link is kinda hidden away (not really hidden, but in a bad position of the reservation).

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
I saw the picture first and thought UA was stepping up. Then I read post and saw Alaska salt/pepper packets. Cruel.
Even the photo version (for the UA noodle salad) look bad
Old Feb 4, 2024, 7:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Trying to eat healthy and reduce sodium and sugar intake, my choices for the upcoming flight are:
  • Ropa vieja beef enchiladas
  • Tomato and burrata manicotti
  • Asian noodle salad
  • Vegetarian chili polenta cake
  • Fruit and cheese plate
There are pros and cons with each of the the above (there is the cheeseburger option is not included for obvious reasons),

Been seeing Chili and Asian Noodle salad getting bad reviews. The enchiladas and manicotti may be loaded with sodium.

which one would you recommend?
Old Feb 4, 2024, 9:26 pm

Programs: United 1K, *wood LT Plat
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
Trying to eat healthy and reduce sodium and sugar intake, my choices for the upcoming flight are:
  • Asian noodle salad
  • Fruit and cheese plate
There are pros and cons with each of the the above (there is the cheeseburger option is not included for obvious reasons),

Been seeing Chili and Asian Noodle salad getting bad reviews. The enchiladas and manicotti may be loaded with sodium.

Iím a vegetarian, so i normally stick to the chili or manicotti. But Iíve always really enjoyed the chili. May have less sodium since it has other spicesÖalways found it very flavorful.
UA_Flyer and as219 like this.
Old Feb 5, 2024, 1:46 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum Ambassador
Originally Posted by KabAir

Based on mostly positive reviews, I tried the brisket yesterday. I found it to be pretty good, maybe ever so slightly bland, but with a little salt and pepper it was quite nice. I actually really liked the spinach which surprised me. Potatoes were fine. Salad was great, roll was warm. We did get nuts before the meal was served. Service was excellent overall.

The dessert surprised me, it was an apple pie. And it was really, really good. Maybe my favorite desert Iíve had on a UA domestic flight. Which Iím sure means Iíll never see it again.

Iíd definitely recommend the brisket, even if it did need a touch of the salt and pepper. Especially for a transcon. Itís very filling/ satisfying. I boarded very hungry, and still felt quite full 5 hours later when we landed.
Yes to that apple pie. Its definitely better than you'd expect from looking at it. It is made by Eli's Cheesecake (the same manufacturer as the pie in the sky), and you can buy it by the case if you want https://www.foodservicedirect.com/el...se-145716.html
KabAir likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2024, 5:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .59 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by KabAir (Post #163)

Based on mostly positive reviews, I tried the brisket yesterday. I found it to be pretty good, maybe ever so slightly bland, but with a little salt and pepper it was quite nice. I actually really liked the spinach which surprised me. Potatoes were fine. Salad was great, roll was warm. We did get nuts before the meal was served. Service was excellent overall.
Hear, hear! Spinach is one of the best items on the UA catering menu. It is hard to prepare it incorrectly.
Old Feb 5, 2024, 6:39 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
  • Asian noodle salad
  • Fruit and cheese plate

The manicotti was pretty good on my recent flight. Did not taste like it was loaded with sodium.

Originally Posted by SPN Lifer
Hear, hear! Spinach is one of the best items on the UA catering menu. It is hard to prepare it incorrectly.
Well, technically it's creamed spinach. That makes all the difference.
SPN Lifer, UA_Flyer and ZenFlyer like this.
Old Feb 5, 2024, 11:23 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Does anyone know what kind of food I can expect in United First YYC-IAH (breakfast) and DEN-YYC (snack)?
Old Feb 5, 2024, 3:08 pm

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
I had the manicotti last night EWR-FLL and it was an ok change, as noted two posts above. Ignore the presentation, the pasta was pretty tender and the tomato/burrata filling pretty decent.

ZenFlyer likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2024, 8:18 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by SPN Lifer
Oh, they'll find a way ...
wrp96, Dyce and hhdl like this.
Old Feb 5, 2024, 8:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K and MM.
This was my morning TPA to SFO breakfast. My Brie French Toast meal also included yogurt. The fruit was quite good this round...

breakie.
Spoiler

Old Feb 6, 2024, 12:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
  • Asian noodle salad
  • Fruit and cheese plate

Enchiladas. That's what I went with this weekend. They were edible. See below.

Last edited by CApreppie; Feb 6, 2024 at 12:15 am
Old Feb 6, 2024, 12:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
IAD-SFO, 773, Dinner flight

United sent the order in advance options email. I chose the enchiladas. For those that didn't preorder, they had 3 choices: enchiladas, beef noodle salad, and manicotti.

No PDB. Perhaps they were trying to get the flight out on time due to late arrival+cleaning. They nuts came out with my drinks. There was hot towel service as well. Food was fine. I do like this new peach blueberry custard cake better than the blueberry crumble cake being served. This one at least doesn't taste overly sweet and manufactured from the first bite.

Lovely service from Yvonne. She noted that this was my 1 million miler flight (made sure to fly in a Polaris suite) and had then gave me a nice handwritten card later in the flight. I did not get a medallion, but I think I missed out on that due to a reroute earlier in my journey. I think it was on the first flight I was supposed to take. I have some photos and will give the details in the million miler thread that we already have going.

choch345, benjymessner and tstauck like this.
Old Feb 6, 2024, 5:55 pm

02/04 | SFOĖSAT | 08:50 dep | Skywest E175

Being UX there was no pre-order, choice, or description. Simply, “Do you want breakfast?” after the initial round of drinks. Appears to be the same Yogurt Granola Bowl recently shown in mainline pre-order options. As an egg-averse pescatarian, I found the entree fine. Significantly better than the cold cereal on UX prior to the pandemic. Yogurt wasn’t overwhelming sweet so it must have been plain given the large amount of honey holding the pumpkin-seed granola and berries in place. Fresh fruit bowl was also welcome. But the croissant-shaped roll with strawberry jam, cinnamon streusel biscotti, and banana-walnut breakfast cookie were just too much sugar load. I wish I’d limited myself to just the roll with butter and taken the packaged cookies for later.

First-class FA was perfunctory at best. No PDB despite a nearly 1-hour gate hold thanks to high winds that reduced SFO operations to a single runway for both arrivals and departures. It was particularly irritating given the captain pointed out the seatbelt sign would be off when announcing the hold. No hot towels. And an hour prior to landing when I asked for another black coffee, I got an eye roll and reply that she’d just thrown it out so I’d have to wait while another pot brewed.

Can anyone explain why a breakfast tray got a wine glass yet cold beverages were served in the hefty plastic tumblers used for Polaris PDB?

Last edited by markedcw; Feb 6, 2024 at 6:00 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.