Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

LX/ZRH or LH/MUC for connecting to TATL UA flight?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2023, 8:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold; AA Dirt; HH Diamond; National Emerald; CONTROL SecretAgent Platinum; KAOS EvilFlyer Gold

Looking at a BOM-(ZRH or MUC)-IAD-ORF trip in coach (L-class), trying to decide which is the better connection option, ZRH or MUC.

Ive connected through both before (many times at MUC, once at ZRH), but close to 20 years back, and never to a UA flight.

Layover times are similar (~4 hours) so choice will be down to things like ease of connection (any terminal changes involved?), and lounge options for *A.

Another deciding factor will be seat selection, will both LX or LH allow me to make an advance seat assignment, would there be fees involved, etc.

LX flight is an A330, LH flight is an A350, if there are any aspects there to consider.
Old Oct 16, 2023, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I like ZRH E lounge better than the MUC ones. Both are fairly easy connections, though. I believe both allow seat assignment on L fare.

Also, the in flight chocolates that LX give in Y taste nicer than the ones LH do.
Kacee, tcdtcd, WheelsUpGal and 3 others like this.
Old Oct 16, 2023, 8:53 am

Programs: UA-1K MM, AA-Gold, DL-Silver, AS-MVP
Originally Posted by Maxwell Smart
Ive connected through both before (many times at MUC, once at ZRH), but close to 20 years back, and never to a UA flight.

Layover times are similar (~4 hours) so choice will be down to things like ease of connection (any terminal changes involved?), and lounge options for *A.
Both are easy to connect and will be in same terminal. You will need to re-clear security at MUC or ZRH. MUC may require a short train ride if you arrive at the satellite gates. I would prefer ZRH with better lounge.

Originally Posted by Maxwell Smart
Another deciding factor will be seat selection, will both LX or LH allow me to make an advance seat assignment, would there be fees involved, etc.
There may be fees depending on fare you booked for advance seat selection (but not sure if they sell basic economy to/from India).
Old Oct 16, 2023, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
I pick ZHR for the whisky lounge and better *A lounge.
Both airports are equal in terms of ease of connections.

A350 is a much aircraft than A330, especially LX's A330 has shown its age.
Old Oct 16, 2023, 9:29 am

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
I pick ZHR for the whisky lounge and better *A lounge.
Both airports are equal in terms of ease of connections.

A350 is a much aircraft than A330, especially LX's A330 has shown its age.
Yes, though in Y the sides on the 2-4-2 are more passenger friendly. My vote would go to LX for this one.
Kacee and abaheti like this.
Old Oct 16, 2023, 12:13 pm

I randomly end on one or another for my Europe trips, and I doubt you will see any meanigful difference of service on the plane (given that they are actually a single company).

Both airports are super smooth hubs, and connecting would be smooth in both. You may end up taking a train in both, which runs every couple of minutes.

In Zurich, they will show you a small movie through train windows - they literally put frames on the tunnel wall, so when the trains passes them, they form a several seconds long movie. Kinda nice.

In ZRH you will find a lot of Swiss-focused merch - mostly chocolates, bottles and knifes.

Beer is better in MUC.
Old Oct 16, 2023, 1:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K - 1 MM, Marriott LT-Plt, Hyatt Glb
ZRH Senator lounge (access as *G) has an outdoor deck with amazing plane spotting.
A350 significant improvement over A330 - Lower cabin pressure, higher humidity among other things
+1 ZRH

Last edited by The Man in Seat 9A; Oct 16, 2023 at 1:18 pm
Old Oct 16, 2023, 1:21 pm

Programs: too many
A bit of coin flip, as others have said. Both are good options.

I do quite like the ZRH E Senator Lounge. (I have nothing against the MUC lounges though).
Old Oct 16, 2023, 4:27 pm

Programs: United, Southwest
I LOVE that movie through the train windows in ZRH. No idea how they do it but its very cool.
appenzeller likes this.
Old Oct 16, 2023, 4:39 pm

Originally Posted by WheelsUpGal
I LOVE that movie through the train windows in ZRH. No idea how they do it but its very cool.
From what I can tell, the same way they showed movies in the cinemas pre-digital era. Frames are on the tunnel wall, and train passing by them creates an illusion of movement.
tcdtcd, ty97, WheelsUpGal and 1 others like this.
Old Oct 16, 2023, 6:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
IMHO ZRH is the superior connecting airport for lounge reasons. When flying in Y, seat configuration matters above all else, so that also points in favor of LX because of the 2-4-2 configuration on the A330 vs 3-3-3 on the A350.
bmwe92fan, Kacee and cesco.g like this.
Old Oct 19, 2023, 7:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold; AA Dirt; HH Diamond; National Emerald; CONTROL SecretAgent Platinum; KAOS EvilFlyer Gold
Originally Posted by The Man in Seat 9A
ZRH Senator lounge (access as *G) has an outdoor deck with amazing plane spotting.
Being an aeronautical engineer and a private pilot, that pretty much drives the decision. ZRH it is!

Originally Posted by dkc192
IMHO ZRH is the superior connecting airport for lounge reasons. When flying in Y, seat configuration matters above all else, so that also points in favor of LX because of the 2-4-2 configuration on the A330 vs 3-3-3 on the A350.
A350 would be a better/newer aircraft, but 2-4-2 on the A330 wins out as I'll be in a starboard window seat no matter the airplane.
Old Oct 19, 2023, 7:51 pm

Munich Senator longe is very crowed an un pleasant. Zurich is excellent

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.