Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Some "ANA" flights are now operated by "Air Japan", impact / options for UA flyers?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Some "ANA" flights are now operated by "Air Japan", impact / options for UA flyers?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2023, 6:22 pm
Original Poster

Hi there,

I have a situation that I need to escalate past the offshore agents I think. Here's the situation.

We booked a code share with ANA for business class to Singapore next March. When i booked it it was a 787 to NRT, then same to Singapore. I just happened to look at the reservation, and noticed two things. 1. The SFO NRT flight is now on a 777, and the NRT SIN flight is a 787 but on Air Japan, which I've never heard of. I looked at all the options, and the only way to get a 787 all the way is United's nonstop.

So I called, and the agent said they'd change us for roughly 3000, which is the current fare difference. I spoke to her supervisor who said the non stops were more expensive and they couldn't change us for free. I tried to explain that I wanted the better flight experience, which was what I booked, and at the time I didn't book on an airline I've never heard of. He told me to talk to customer care, but that's only for past flights. Is there a better escalation path?

I had a similar situation two months ago, where we had premium economy to Newark, and they changed the equipment. Would only give us a same day change to a later flight, not the next morning, which had the seats we wanted. I tried customer care, but all I got was a we're sorry, we'll pass this along note.
Any help would be appreciated. We feel like it was bait and switch.

Thanks much
Old Oct 9, 2023, 6:29 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Air Japan is a part of ANA. That may have been what you originally booked. Have the flight numbers changed. If anyone made a change it was ANA, not UA

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 25, 2023 at 2:17 pm
Old Oct 9, 2023, 6:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K 25 years/2MM, Honors LT Diamond, AVIS & Hertz Prez Club
Air Japan is an operating name for ANA. You will still be on ANA. Are you saying that you object to the 777 from SFO-NRT and prefer the 787? If this is an ANA 777 the onboard experience will be very comparable, save for the humidity/cabin pressure being a little bit more comfortable on 787. The 777 is a larger airplane and the seats will be a little more comfortable in Business Class.
Old Oct 9, 2023, 6:37 pm

You can find "management" emails (goes to their executive assistants) with a little bit of googling. The more important question is what do you expect to happen by going to management that reservations isn't addressing already following policy?

An equipment change doesn't entitle to schedule change levels of protection unless your purchased product isn't available any longer (ie prem econ that was changed to non-PE equipment). Unless you've had a change of operating carrier (which others have mentioned regarding Air Japan being NH, which is frequently disclosed as the "operating carrier" on TYO-SIN NH flights from the outset) or a change in departure/arrival time by more than 30 minutes, you're unlikely to get treated like a schedule change, even by going the "management" route.
Old Oct 9, 2023, 6:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
“Air Japan” is arm of ANA that operates some less “business-oriented” routes. It is probably what you booked. I’m pretty sure the operator has not changed on the final leg there. Before complaining about that leg, you probably want to be sure you just didn’t overlook it - which is common - it’s disclosed in fine print when booking. A change of a/c type to Japan from U.S. is not unheard of and can change once or twice in the 11 months a particular flight is available for booking.

if you want an exact type of plane to be on, best wait until within a month of departure, but even then it can change.

A note to management is useless, because what you’re complaining about is not unusual in today’s flying. It’s not limited to United. Sometimes flying can be overwhelming, but there probably isn’t anything in your perceived issues that are really problematic.

Air Japan is most likely what you booked in the first place and a/c changes happen all the time.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Oct 9, 2023 at 7:06 pm
Old Oct 9, 2023, 6:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
With all due respect, you will be hugely disappointed trying to get a hold of management. It is a waste of your time and energy because they won't help you.

As mentioned, your original itinerary is/was operated by an United partner. Any schedule/equipment change is not something United can control.
SPN Lifer, Adam1222 and frutabell like this.
Old Oct 9, 2023, 7:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SFO 1K
Air Japan is an operating name for ANA. You will still be on ANA. Are you saying that you object to the 777 from SFO-NRT and prefer the 787? If this is an ANA 777 the onboard experience will be very comparable, save for the humidity/cabin pressure being a little bit more comfortable on 787. The 777 is a larger airplane and the seats will be a little more comfortable in Business Class.
Thanks, we llike the cabin of the 787. DH worked on the 777 and he prefers the 787. So I guess the in flight experience will be the same between ANA and Air Japan? That's very helpful.
Old Oct 9, 2023, 7:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by abbydancer
So I guess the in flight experience will be the same between ANA and Air Japan?
Yes. Indistinguishable.
frutabell likes this.
Old Oct 9, 2023, 7:23 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
As mentioned a switch between 787 to 777 does not make you eligible for a free change to the UA nonstop. Suggest spending some time in the ANA forum and better understand the role of "Air Japan" in ANA operations.

Seems like you are not the first to notice the change -- Air Japan
Old Oct 9, 2023, 7:23 pm

Thanks, we llike the cabin of the 787. DH worked on the 777 and he prefers the 787. So I guess the in flight experience will be the same between ANA and Air Japan? That's very helpful.
yes, they're basically the same crew/meals

you can preview the meal plan here for Nov, need to wait for your march flight (pic for Y, no pic for J unfortunately)
https://www.ana.co.jp/en/us/travel-information/meals/

that said, you can keep an eye out on SFO-SIN (nonstop) for the fare bucket to open if you want the nonstop, or switch to UA (on the SFO-NRT segment for purposes of United Millionmiler)

(all of the UA SFO-SIN J fare rules I've seen, allow routing via nonstop, or via NRT, or choose NH or UA)
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Oct 9, 2023, 7:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by paperwastage

that said, you can keep an eye out on SFO-SIN (nonstop) for the fare bucket to open if you want the nonstop, or switch to UA (on the SFO-NRT segment for purposes of United Millionmiler)
Noting that the UA inflight experience (service, meals, cleanliness of lavs) will be significantly inferior. But the time savings and million mile credit may be relevant considerations.
Old Oct 9, 2023, 7:46 pm

We booked a code share with ANA for business class to Singapore next March. When i booked it it was a 787 to NRT, then same to Singapore.
Originally Posted by Kacee
Noting that the UA inflight experience (service, meals, cleanliness of lavs) will be significantly inferior. But the time savings and million mile credit may be relevant considerations.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/34767302-post823.html
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/35593148-post1087.html

looks like you missed out on 787. the current plane is a 77W old config (not TheRoom. ymmv if you'll get TheRoom, probably not)
Old Oct 9, 2023, 8:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by paperwastage
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/34767302-post823.html
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/35593148-post1087.html

looks like you missed out on 787. the current plane is a 77W old config (not TheRoom. ymmv if you'll get TheRoom, probably not)
I have no idea what the Room is, but will we get layflat seats?

Thanks,
Abby
Old Oct 9, 2023, 8:19 pm

Programs: UA-1K MM, AA-Gold, DL-Silver, AS-MVP
The Room is just another variant of the NH J seat that's wider and has doors. Only select routes have that business seat (primarily to JFK and LHR). You will get a lie-flat J seat on your North America route and on your SIN flight, barring any last minute equipment change.
Old Oct 9, 2023, 8:21 pm

Thanks,
Abby
yes, you'll get layflat direct-aisle access seats on both legs

this is how the current seats look like,
SFO-NRT 777 BusinessStaggered - https://www.ana.co.jp/en/us/travel-i...ness-staggared

NRT-SIN 787-9 - https://www.ana.co.jp/en/us/travel-i...usiness-class/

theroom looks a lot nicer, but not on your route: https://www.ana.co.jp/en/us/travel-i...usiness-class/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.