Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Which UA departure airports don't allow post-security liquids onboard?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 6, 2023, 11:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: fumje
List of UA departure airports that don't allow post-security liquids (>100ml) onboard
airports listed, with date of confirmed disallowed report (linked)

AMM (2023)
BOG (2023)
EZE (2023)
JNB (2023)
LIM (2023)
MNL (2023)
SCL (2023)
SJD (2023)
TLV (2023)

These restrictions are due to DHS rules.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2023, 2:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC

Leaving JNB yesterday a bit of a surprise in that even though I cleared transit security at JNB where the typical liquids/aerosols/gels prohibition was enforced but UA has a secondary security setup in a quarantined gate area that you must pass before boarding and no LAGs are permitted in this area. Had planned on getting a coke in a bottle to span the gaps between onboard service and obviously that was scuttled.

Closest I've seen to this was a secondary security check at the gate at PTY a few years ago but I don't recall there being a LAG prohibition (though it was also a bloody short connection)

Any other airports where you can't bring liquids purchased after security on a UA flight?
Old Oct 6, 2023, 3:00 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
That's strictly a security measure put in place by (some?) US airlines for flights to the US that they deem risky, no?
They did this at PEK for years: check every bag for liquids etc, before boarding.
Luckily stopped that again a while ago.
DiamondMile, uanj and lsquare like this.
Old Oct 6, 2023, 4:51 am

Programs: UA General member
I had a similar experience in 2015 or so, DEL-EWR, they had secondary security at the gate (Xray, etc). They allowed duty-free liquids when sealed in the see-through tamper-evident bag...good thing, since I had bought gulab jamun to bring home!
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Oct 6, 2023, 5:20 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by narvik
That's strictly a security measure put in place by (some?) US airlines for flights to the US that they deem risky, no?
They did this at PEK for years: check every bag for liquids etc, before boarding.
Luckily stopped that again a while ago.
Any idea what that list of airports is currently? (Obviously subject to change)

Originally Posted by jtkohl
I had a similar experience in 2015 or so, DEL-EWR, they had secondary security at the gate (Xray, etc). They allowed duty-free liquids when sealed in the see-through tamper-evident bag...good thing, since I had bought gulab jamun to bring home!
No XRay here but a bunch of Securitas people opening bags and poking around [my bag got a rather prefunctory search but not complaining] It did seem they were allowing duty free bags through... but can one even get a cold PET bottle of Coke at Duty Free?
Old Oct 6, 2023, 5:45 am

Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
Any idea what that list of airports is currently? (Obviously subject to change)

Sorry, no idea.
Departing from some countries to the US, you get the 'search-bag-for-liquids' thing, while from others they couldn't care less about liquids but instead they do the 'idiotic-questions' thing, like Switzerland:
"What did you see when you looked out of the window when you woke up this morning?"
DiamondMile and nexus7556 like this.
Old Oct 6, 2023, 5:52 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
I recall this in a Asia, SIN, HKG, PEK, but I haven't been there since COVID. Whenever I've asked, they always say it is a requirement from the US. Not in Europe or even TLV.

The inspection is typically very short and not thorough so if they want to put on a show I don't see it as any worse than those dumb questions they ask in Europe
Old Oct 6, 2023, 5:54 am
Original Poster

Sorry, no idea.
Departing from some countries to the US, you get the 'search-bag-for-liquids' thing, while from others they couldn't care less about liquids but instead they do the 'idiotic-questions' thing, like Switzerland:
"What did you see when you looked out of the window when you woke up this morning?"
I thought it was odd on my departure from Amsterdam in early September I got no 'international security" whatsoever... not even a "did you pack your own bags?" Or a new ICTS sticker for my passport :-(

I was going to say I don't remember Switzerland's stupid questions but then I realized my GVA departure was on LX to LHR at the crack of dawn so that probably explains things...
Old Oct 6, 2023, 6:29 am

I had this at AMM while flying Royal Jordanian back to ORD. I would assume UA may have the same situation there at AMM for their flight to IAD.
lincolnjkc likes this.
Old Oct 6, 2023, 6:48 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
Any other airports where you can't bring liquids purchased after security on a UA flight?
Happened to me at EZE in May. Stopped to purchase a large bottle of water for the red eye flight and had it taken away 5 minutes later at the gate in secondary security. It was completely unopened and still cold.
Old Oct 6, 2023, 7:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by eng3 (Post # 6)
I recall this in a Asia, SIN, HKG, PEK, but I haven't been there since COVID. Whenever I've asked, they always say it is a requirement from the US. Not in Europe or even TLV.
MNL does this.
wrp96, lincolnjkc and nexus7556 like this.
Old Oct 6, 2023, 7:18 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by eng3

The inspection is typically very short and not thorough so if they want to put on a show I don't see it as any worse than those dumb questions they ask in Europe
Hadn't had that done departing Asia in the last few trips pre-Covid or SIN more recently.

I did have a secondary liquids inspection in BKK on flight to SYD, with claim it was Australian rule. But I'm not sure it would apply US to SYD (I'm guessing that Australia may not fully trust security in BKK or security of those places with transit via BKK.)
lincolnjkc and narvik like this.
Old Oct 6, 2023, 7:38 am

Programs: UA 1k, Marriott Plat, HH gold, Avis/Hertz Pres
SCL does this. Brought some waters and had to throw away at the gate
Old Oct 6, 2023, 7:53 am

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
I don't think so. My first time going to Africa about 14 years ago, I had a secondary security check in Amsterdam flying KL. Surprised me (and pissed me off). Full check with X-ray machine for my carry-on, walk-through metal detector, etc. I've also had secondary security checks in Narita a couple of times, again with X-rays and metal detectors.

When I did the secondary check at JNB, it was taking a connector to Windhoek -- had to go through border control and security to get to my connection on SAA.
chollie likes this.
Old Oct 6, 2023, 8:04 am

Originally Posted by ExplorerWannabe
I don't think so.
I was specifically talking about special security checks to either get to the gate area (at airports with 'enclosed' gate areas) or just prior to boarding (for open gate areas) to check for liquids.
That's definitely a 'fly-to-US' thing, and likely still a remnant of the 2006 transatlantic aircraft plot.
lincolnjkc, wrp96 and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Oct 6, 2023, 8:13 am

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
I was specifically talking about special security checks to either get to the gate area (at airports with 'enclosed' gate areas) or just prior to boarding (for open gate areas) to check for liquids.
That's definitely a 'fly-to-US' thing, and likely still a remnant of the 2006 transatlantic aircraft plot.
In the cases I mentioned for Amsterdam (flying to Nairobi) and Narita (both directions), it was security checks to get to the gate so NOT just "fly-to-the-US". To be fair, the flight to Nairobi was in 2009 so may have been an remnant of that plot but I was somewhat surprised at the check given it was Amsterdam TO Nairobi.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.