Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

SAS to leave Star Alliance. 31 August 2024

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SAS to leave Star Alliance. 31 August 2024

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2023, 11:38 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Looking forward to flying SAS in a few weeks on a trip up to LYR to see the northern lights. Will be sad to see them leave Star Alliance as I've always liked the options to connect via northern Europe when schedules align.
Aussienarelle and VRFast like this.
Old Nov 4, 2023, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Just flew BKK-CPH on SK in J. Great, great flight. Will be so sorry to see SAS leave Star Alliance.
Repooc17 and VRFast like this.
Old Nov 4, 2023, 4:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Gnopps
It is also no longer possible to book SK-feeders to UA flights. E.g. SFO-UA-LHR-SK-ARN was possible to book a couple of months ago but is no longer allowed per the fare rules.
This, plus the blocking of SK award availability that other *A partners can access, is punitive and unfriendly. SK is still a member of *A and will be for at least the next few months, period.
Old Nov 4, 2023, 4:56 pm

Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
Just flew BKK-CPH on SK in J. Great, great flight. Will be so sorry to see SAS leave Star Alliance.
yes, their longhaul is exquisite while their shorthaul sucks.
Old Nov 4, 2023, 7:13 pm

Over the years, I have enjoyed their business class service to Norway, Sweden and Denmark. Until recently, it was consistently available from the east coast for Mileage Plus redemptions at a moderate level. I have a ton of Delta miles but I suspect business class redemptions will be very pricey.
Old Nov 4, 2023, 9:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
Nice! How was the load?

Originally Posted by AirbusFan2B
yes, their longhaul is exquisite while their shorthaul sucks.
How does shorthaul suck? Better than US domestic shorthaul from my POV (in SAS Plus).
Old Nov 5, 2023, 6:23 pm

Originally Posted by Repooc17
Nice! How was the load?

How does shorthaul suck? Better than US domestic shorthaul from my POV (in SAS Plus).
No J product CPH-ARN nor ARN—LHR when I flew SK in May 2023. SAS lounges in CPH and ARN are dismal compared to United Clubs or Lufthansa/SWISS Senator or even Business.
Old Nov 5, 2023, 9:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
No J product CPH-ARN nor ARN—LHR when I flew SK in May 2023. SAS lounges in CPH and ARN are dismal compared to United Clubs or Lufthansa/SWISS Senator or even Business.
"No J product" - that is normal for Europe regional flying. Comparable US flights are not J either.
Old Nov 5, 2023, 10:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
"No J product" - that is normal for Europe regional flying. C
But unlike other European carriers, SK doesn't even block the middle seat in intra-Europe J. That makes a big difference when you're six across in a narrowbody.
miamiflyer8 likes this.
Old Nov 5, 2023, 10:12 pm

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
"No J product" - that is normal for Europe regional flying. Comparable US flights are not J either.
In the case of SK, their short haul “J” is sold as SAS Plus which doesn’t have blocked middle seats or a curtain separating from Y. Catering comes in boxes and plastic cups rather than real service ware. No access to Fast Track or contract lounges should you be departing a non-SK or *A hub, contrary to other European counterparts.
Old Nov 5, 2023, 10:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
SAS lounges in CPH and ARN are dismal compared to United Clubs or Lufthansa/SWISS Senator or even Business.
It’s been several years since I was there, but I recall their CPH *G lounge was pretty nice. Maybe not as good as the newer UCs that have opened recently, but at the time I remember it being nicer than the average UC, and on par with the average Senator lounge.
Old Nov 6, 2023, 2:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Nice! How was the load?

Flight was almost full in business class (only one seat open), nearly empty in premium economy class (10% load), around 80% full in economy.

As has been mentioned, SK does not block middle seats on shorthaul and of course the seat itself is bad enough. I do like the catering, though. Fresh Scandinavian food is always appreciated.
Old Nov 6, 2023, 6:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by miamiflyer8
In the case of SK, their short haul “J” is sold as SAS Plus which doesn’t have blocked middle seats or a curtain separating from Y. Catering comes in boxes and plastic cups rather than real service ware. No access to Fast Track or contract lounges should you be departing a non-SK or *A hub, contrary to other European counterparts.
If you select the last couple of rows in SAS Plus, the middle seat should be open anyway

My point remains - how much of a superior experience can you get on US domestics for 1 to 2 hours flights, as per the other poster, SAS, "sucks"? If you have an economy+ (SAS+ ticket), you'd get good (hot/cold) food, or you'd have the opportunity to buy food with other ticket types (Go); and there is always a beverage cart run for all passengers. Can't say the same for US domestic short flights.

No access to Fast track or lounges at non-SK or *A hub? LHR you can get both, and I am sure there are others.
Old Nov 6, 2023, 8:28 am

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
If you select the last couple of rows in SAS Plus, the middle seat should be open anyway

My point remains - how much of a superior experience can you get on US domestics for 1 to 2 hours flights, as per the other poster, SAS, "sucks"? If you have an economy+ (SAS+ ticket), you'd get good (hot/cold) food, or you'd have the opportunity to buy food with other ticket types (Go); and there is always a beverage cart run for all passengers. Can't say the same for US domestic short flights.

No access to Fast track or lounges at non-SK or *A hub? LHR you can get both, and I am sure there are others.
Well, on US carriers up front I get a better seat than SK which I personally value more than any catering. In Y, many US carriers have IFE and you get a full selection of free non-alcoholic beverages instead of just coffee or tea in the case of SK.

LHR T2 has Star Alliance lounges so you’d get access to them based on your SK Plus ticket which is considered “J” for lounge access purposes. At any airport with Star A Gold Track, you’ll have access with SK Plus or *G if in Y. FRA and MUC are examples similar to LHR as are a few other airports with *A facilities.

But go to airports like ALC, BCN or HEL and you get nada. SK closed down their own lounge at HEL during the pandemic so without Priority Pass or AX Plat you’re SOL.
Old Nov 6, 2023, 8:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

My point remains - how much of a superior experience can you get on US domestics for 1 to 2 hours flights,
Trick question?
Repooc17 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.