Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

SAS to leave Star Alliance. 31 August 2024

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SAS to leave Star Alliance. 31 August 2024

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2023, 3:43 pm

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
Originally Posted by Repooc17
I do have a couple of $500 PE fares left (to LHR). One later this month, and another in 2024. Luckily I can credit to either program.
I've definitely enjoyed those (mostly off-season) PE fare deals to Europe

I will bite. What's substandard about SK? The only knock I have is its IFE movie selections; otherwise, it's an average to good airline, certainly compares favorably vs. United.
I found SAS to be more than fine, especially at the aforementioned PE prices above! My only 'complaint' would be about their lack of intra-Europe J product (maybe AF/KL will fix that?)
Old Oct 3, 2023, 3:52 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriot Gold
My only 'complaint' would be about their lack of intra-Europe J product (maybe AF/KL will fix that?)
Isn't that true for most European carriers?
Brendan, copperred and Rozen30 like this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Oct 3, 2023 at 6:42 pm Reason: repaired quote
Old Oct 3, 2023, 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by wh333
Isn't that true for most European carriers?
Euro-business is a coach seat with the middle or adjoining seat left empty. Not great, but it's the norm, you are right.

SAS doesn't offer that. Intra-Europe, they offer SAS Plus which is a regular coach seat (at the front of the plane) with a meal. This includes occupied middle seats.
jd2000 and MeltingAlf like this.
Old Oct 3, 2023, 4:13 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy LTP
Anything that weakens the power of the network is a loss. I don't care at all about being in business intra europe on a 90 min flight, but the connections to other cities means better mileage availability and better connections.

Only good thing is that my wife and I spent 10 days touring Sweden and Norway back in June, so wasn't planning another trip for quite some time.

I would hope that LH expands in the nordics to balance this out
as219, Kacee, gmt4 and 1 others like this.
Old Oct 3, 2023, 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
By that reasoning, UA should be leaving *A as well.
You just made my day!
worldwidedreamer likes this.
Old Oct 3, 2023, 4:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by ty97
Euro-business is a coach seat with the middle or adjoining seat left empty. Not great, but it's the norm, you are right.

SAS doesn't offer that. Intra-Europe, they offer SAS Plus which is a regular coach seat (at the front of the plane) with a meal. This includes occupied middle seats.
Take the last few rows of Plus...much less likely to have someone next to you, and more likely you will have all three seats to yourself. We got Plus included with our TATL tickets, but for most O&D and intra-Europe pax, less likely they would upfare for 1-2 hours flight. I certainly wouldn't in those situations; case in point, I just bought an EI fare for 59 GBP, and it comes with nothing . I think EI also don't block middle seats.
Old Oct 3, 2023, 5:11 pm

Originally Posted by ty97
My only 'complaint' would be about their lack of intra-Europe J product (maybe AF/KL will fix that?)
Most intra-Europe flights are just a few hours long, the current "J" (middle seat blocked off) works great.

There's first class on the trains if you want to go that route!
Daze and seanp7 like this.
Old Oct 3, 2023, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
With OZ leaving (that's a loss) and SK leaving (no loss) ... who will be joining?
Old Oct 3, 2023, 5:25 pm
Formerly known as newbie elite

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Platinum, AC50K
Originally Posted by cfischer
With OZ leaving (that's a loss) and SK leaving (no loss) ... who will be joining?
AZ
Old Oct 3, 2023, 5:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
Agree any carrier is a loss overall. Yes, I read their service has gone downhill, but it did make traveling to the nordics easier.
notquiteaff and gmt4 like this.
Old Oct 3, 2023, 5:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Admiral Ackbar
AZ
nobody wants them ...
Old Oct 3, 2023, 6:08 pm

Originally Posted by cfischer
Are we convinced the OZ/KE merger will actually happen?
Old Oct 3, 2023, 6:13 pm

Programs: *
I will bite. What's substandard about SK?
Functionality of the App and website and also customer service. Several complex itineraries cant be booked online and once you book making other than simple changes on the website is difficult or impossible. And they dont even have 24h customer phone service. Few months ago I had a flight leaving US about 11.30 pm on Saturday and then at 8 pm I found out trip needed to be cancelled. There was no means of getting in touch with the airline. The phone line said they are closed for the day. Tried calling number in europe and not 24h either. Only option of speaking to airline representative at 8 pm ET was to actually go to the airport. And some of their 'non-refundable' fares are just that...forget about flight credit. I would chose United over SAS every single time because I want to be able to make changes or speak to a human being anytime I need.
Old Oct 3, 2023, 6:16 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy LTP
EY would be my guess and hope for major addition, but most likely they just don't respond.

ANA, Air China and Singapore already provide good coverage across east Asia. It strikes me that the Korean market is also a bit different in the sense that the vast majority of traffic from the US is going to ICN or connecting to other destinations outside of Korea. That means that UA can serve that demand themselves from SFO/LAX.
Old Oct 3, 2023, 6:18 pm

Programs: MileagePlus-Premier Silver, Marriott Bonvoy-Silver Elite
Departure won't happen until sometime in 2024.

If you don't use SAS, correct, but it is a key partner for those needing to travel to the Nordics.

I do have a couple of $500 PE fares left (to LHR). One later this month, and another in 2024. Luckily I can credit to either program.
I'm one of those going to the Nordic countries to see family. So now, if I want to stay on a *A ticket all the way, I'll have to transit through Germany/Switzerland/Austria. Which is not bad in and of it self, but I fear the ticket prices through those hubs will not get any cheaper after this. My dream now is that Norwegian becomes a member of *A . They acquired Wideroe.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.