Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Systemwide IT Issue, systemwide UA ground stop, flights resuming [5 Sept 2023]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Systemwide IT Issue, systemwide UA ground stop, flights resuming [5 Sept 2023]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2023, 11:51 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Plat, Marriott Ambassador, Hyatt Diamond, National Executive Elite
Loo

Looks like they're back up and running?
amejr999 and wrp96 like this.
Old Sep 5, 2023, 11:51 am

Programs: AS 100k, BA GGL, UA 1k, DL DM, AC SE, B6 Mosaic4, Hyatt/Hilton/Wyndham/IHG Diamond, Marriot Ti
Originally Posted by SFO_LHR_NRT
Systems are back up, engines are ramping up once again.
A couple planes seem to be moving. Not all systems online yet but seem to be moving that way.
Old Sep 5, 2023, 11:52 am

Programs: UA
Old Sep 5, 2023, 11:53 am

Ground stop is lifted YAY

That was pretty fast United, nice job, quicker than most ramp closures during thunderstorms!

https://x.com/united/status/16991177...JwY4NHbexiejPA
ContinentalFan likes this.
Old Sep 5, 2023, 11:53 am

Programs: AS 100k, BA GGL, UA 1k, DL DM, AC SE, B6 Mosaic4, Hyatt/Hilton/Wyndham/IHG Diamond, Marriot Ti
Originally Posted by jtm1631
You sure about that?
I may have been wrong. It’s starting to look like that.

Edit: I’m mostly seeing UAX flights take off. I know those got exempted leaving hubs. The problem is all the UA gates in hubs are clogged so UAX can’t fly their inbounds until those are cleared.

Last edited by TalkingPoint; Sep 5, 2023 at 12:10 pm
Old Sep 5, 2023, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
While the ground stop may be over and flights that are ready to depart can depart... a lot of flights aren't ready to depart.
Old Sep 5, 2023, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
REMARKS: UAL AND SUBS ONLY. IAD UAL SUB DEPARTURES STILL EXEMPT.
UNLESS YOU HEAR FROM DCC FIRST, THEY ARE STILL STOPPED. ALL FLIGHTS
REQUESTING OR CLAIMING EXEMPTION ARE NOT EXEMPT.

The way I read that...UA subs (UA Express) out of IAD *are* exempt. So if they are claiming exemption then they are correct and they are exempt. "IAD UAL SUB DEPARTURES STILL EXEMPT" overrules the rest of that posting which would apply to all UA flights at every airport in US/Canada and UA mainline at IAD (given that subs are exempt).

So either that's a typo and they meant to say "IAD UAL sub departures still stopped" (meaning there is no exemption for them) or what I wrote above is true.

Doesn't matter now as the ground stop has been lifted as of a few minutes ago.

-RM
Old Sep 5, 2023, 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by FlyingHoustonian
Breach meaning they were hacked?
Initially they were telling business partners they had a suspected breach which is why they took most systems offline as a precaution. May have been an overreaction which led to the ground stop.
Old Sep 5, 2023, 12:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott LT Titanium
Oh no. Here we go again.
Old Sep 5, 2023, 1:43 pm

Things seem to be back to normal. At MCO in bound flight is in air with a 45 minute delay. My flight currently has a 23 minute delay.
Old Sep 5, 2023, 2:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM

Perhaps moving this pilot to IT was not the best idea - brings a whole new meaning to "hacked"
Old Sep 5, 2023, 2:36 pm

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
Sounds like they were trying to avoid overwhelming both hub and spoke airports because any more flights airborne would eventually contribute to ground congestion (and eventually, if it lasted long enough, excessive tarmac delays). That's probably why subs were allowed to be exempt because they wouldn't quite contribute to the same problem.
Old Sep 5, 2023, 2:44 pm

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
All good at ORD. Some lingering delays from inbound aircraft not being where they should be, but no worse than a normal evening rain.
Old Sep 5, 2023, 4:54 pm

Originally Posted by RobOnLI
REMARKS: UAL AND SUBS ONLY. IAD UAL SUB DEPARTURES STILL EXEMPT.
UNLESS YOU HEAR FROM DCC FIRST, THEY ARE STILL STOPPED. ALL FLIGHTS
REQUESTING OR CLAIMING EXEMPTION ARE NOT EXEMPT.

The way I read that...UA subs (UA Express) out of IAD *are* exempt. So if they are claiming exemption then they are correct and they are exempt. "IAD UAL SUB DEPARTURES STILL EXEMPT" overrules the rest of that posting which would apply to all UA flights at every airport in US/Canada and UA mainline at IAD (given that subs are exempt).

So either that's a typo and they meant to say "IAD UAL sub departures still stopped" (meaning there is no exemption for them) or what I wrote above is true.

Doesn't matter now as the ground stop has been lifted as of a few minutes ago.

-RM
I think it's saying IAD is exempt, but that is the only exemption you should believe. Don't believe a pilot telling you they are exempt if they're not at IAD, because they're wrong.
Old Sep 6, 2023, 8:59 am

Originally Posted by Symmetre
All good at ORD. Some lingering delays from inbound aircraft not being where they should be, but no worse than a normal evening rain.
They dug themselves out of it quite well. I guess it’s all their experience over the years of doing this to themselves. Will be a fun couple days for the poor souls assigned to root cause and mitigation reports. They put in a code freeze so IT can catch their breath but looks like everything is calm now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.