Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA345 IAD-HNL diversion to Vegas; chances UA 201 HNL-GUM gets held?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2023, 1:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold

On board UA345 from DC to Honolulu this morning and we had to divert to Vegas for a medical emergency.

We also landed a bit heavy so had to get sign off we’re good for ETOPS I heard - problem is, the Vegas mechanics don’t usually see a 764, so it took a bit longer than if it were another plane.

Anyways assuming we take off in the next 15 minutes - we’re taxiing now - we’re going to land about 20-30 minutes after UA201 HNL-GUM is set to depart. From the sounds of it, there are a ton of people connecting to Guam.

Surely connection saver will apply and they will hold the flight for all of us? I thought I remember reading connectionsaver won’t delay a flight by like more than 20-30 minutes, but maybe UA OPS would?
Old Aug 19, 2023, 1:20 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
If it is several of you I suspect they will hold the flight.
Old Aug 19, 2023, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
You'd think they will hold it, but until UA345 is in the air again and they have an ETA for HNL arrival - who knows. 20 mins between arrival and departure will result in a > 1 hour delay till everyone is deplaned and has gotten on the GUM flight. That's not insubstantive and it might depend on crew and other operational parameters.

Hope you will make it
Old Aug 19, 2023, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've had GUM-HNL held for about 30 minutes for a bunch of connectors (before the "connectionsaver" concept was announced), although in this case I suppose they'll need to hold for more like an hour, so not sure if that translates.
Old Aug 19, 2023, 1:42 pm

The LAS-HNL segment not expected to land now until 3:08 - looks like a long taxi at LAS.

I suspect you will spend the night in Honolulu
Old Aug 19, 2023, 1:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
The LAS-HNL segment not expected to land now until 3:08 - looks like a long taxi at LAS.

I suspect you will spend the night in Honolulu
I was listening to atc and it sounded like ours and a couple other planes departure plans had to be rerouted due to weather.

Not sure what makes the most sense for me - I had 24 hrs in Guam before connecting to Narita. I’m guessing I’ll have to beg for one of the two ANA flights to NRT tomorrow to save what’s left of my itinerary or I’ll be lose yet another day since there won’t be a connection until the following day from Guam.

edit: UA201 is delayed 50 minutes right now. I’m hoping that since they are doing this delay 5 hours in advance that means they want us to make this. It would be different if this was shortly before we were to land.

The reasons being listed is that it’s being held for customers with connections.
SPN Lifer and wrp96 like this.

Last edited by BThumme; Aug 19, 2023 at 2:01 pm
Old Aug 19, 2023, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Yeah, looks like UA is planning to hold UA201 Hope that works out Now arriving G5 with UA201 at G4.
Old Aug 19, 2023, 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by BThumme

edit: UA201 is delayed 50 minutes right now. I’m hoping that since they are doing this delay 5 hours in advance that means they want us to make this. It would be different if this was shortly before we were to land.

The reasons being listed is that it’s being held for customers with connections.
Nice - I'm sure it is for your specific flight
SPN Lifer and BThumme like this.
Old Aug 19, 2023, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BThumme
I was listening to atc and it sounded like ours and a couple other planes departure plans had to be rerouted due to weather.

Not sure what makes the most sense for me - I had 24 hrs in Guam before connecting to Narita. I’m guessing I’ll have to beg for one of the two ANA flights to NRT tomorrow to save what’s left of my itinerary or I’ll be lose yet another day since there won’t be a connection until the following day from Guam.

Very positive sign.
Looks like they might be padding even a bit extra, based on the GUM arrival time.
SPN Lifer and Waldofriend like this.
Old Aug 19, 2023, 3:00 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus Premier
Glad they seem to be holding it. The weather in LAS and going west is getting nastier as the day goes on. More clouds and rain in LAS than I have seen in years.
Old Aug 19, 2023, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Fingers crossed for you!
BThumme likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2023, 3:33 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
201 is currently showing a hold for the passengers from 345.
Old Aug 19, 2023, 7:24 pm

Originally Posted by gene2632
Glad they seem to be holding it. The weather in LAS and going west is getting nastier as the day goes on. More clouds and rain in LAS than I have seen in years.
Isn’t there a hurricane there?
Old Aug 19, 2023, 7:57 pm
Original Poster

We did indeed make it. Thanks everyone!
Old Aug 19, 2023, 8:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by returnoftheyeti
Isn’t there a hurricane there?
Storm has not reached the US yet.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.