Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA345 IAD-HNL diversion to Vegas; chances UA 201 HNL-GUM gets held?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA345 IAD-HNL diversion to Vegas; chances UA 201 HNL-GUM gets held?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2023, 8:38 pm

Programs: UA MP HH LTD
Originally Posted by returnoftheyeti
Isn’t there a hurricane there?
Not yet...soon.
Old Aug 19, 2023, 8:57 pm

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
Originally Posted by BThumme
We did indeed make it. Thanks everyone!
Glad you made it! And glad UA can do some things right.

Passenger traffic flows are interesting. I have taken IAD-HNL twice, both times late on arrival. I was amazed at how many people were connecting on to GUM, maybe 25 or so, and there was an agent at the arrival gate to quickly shepherd the connections to the adjacent connecting gate.
SPN Lifer and Air Houston like this.
Old Aug 20, 2023, 8:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
As expected though, UA201 took a 90 min delay (vs. 45 initially posted). UA never gets these things correct
Old Aug 20, 2023, 8:19 am

Programs: UA 1P, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by uanj
Glad you made it! And glad UA can do some things right.

Passenger traffic flows are interesting. I have taken IAD-HNL twice, both times late on arrival. I was amazed at how many people were connecting on to GUM, maybe 25 or so, and there was an agent at the arrival gate to quickly shepherd the connections to the adjacent connecting gate.
My guess would be this is the only one-stop option between DC and Guam that does not involve transit at foreign airports. And potentially some government traffic.
Old Aug 20, 2023, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by returnoftheyeti
Isn’t there a hurricane there?
Tropical storm, not hurricane.
Repooc17 likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2023, 10:38 am

And todays UAL 345 flight from IAD-HNL was cancelled

Last edited by giporlos; Aug 20, 2023 at 11:07 am
Old Aug 20, 2023, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by giporlos
?

UA345 IAD-HNL is a Saturday only flight.
PACLipper and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Aug 20, 2023, 10:54 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by giporlos
????
UA 345 IAD-HNL is a once a week, Saturday, flight, there is no flight scheduled for Sunday

Originally Posted by mediator
My guess would be this is the only one-stop option between DC and Guam that does not involve transit at foreign airports. And potentially some government traffic.
Being once a week flight probably also factored in
SPN Lifer and giporlos like this.
Old Aug 20, 2023, 11:06 am

My bad.... was looking at this....
Old Aug 20, 2023, 11:17 am

Programs: United Two Million Miler; United 1K, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Platinum
This would not applied to the OP, but for future reference, you are traveling XXX-HNL-GUM, there are options to go through NRT if flight to HNL is delayed or canceled. For example, from LAX, the flights to HNL all leave no later than 10:00 am. Flights to Tokyo leave around noon, so I’ve bailed on HNL and picked up LAX-NRT-GUM several times over the years.
Similar flights to NRT are available ex SFO, DEN, etc.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2023, 11:28 am

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by bloodyeyeballs
This would not applied to the OP, but for future reference, you are traveling XXX-HNL-GUM, there are options to go through NRT if flight to HNL is delayed or canceled. For example, from LAX, the flights to HNL all leave no later than 10:00 am. Flights to Tokyo leave around noon, so I’ve bailed on HNL and picked up LAX-NRT-GUM several times over the years.
Similar flights to NRT are available ex SFO, DEN, etc.
Just because (a) I love an odd routing and (b) the Mercator projection has really warped my understanding of geographic relationships (and I'm kind of vague about Guam to begin with... hopefully I'll solve that problem by visiting some day ) -- what does that do to flight time? E.g. is it a comparable reroute or does it add/subtract x hours? My brain is telling me it probably adds at least several hours but I'm not convinced...
Old Aug 20, 2023, 11:46 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
The flight distances are similar with the NRT/HND routing being 300 miles shorter (8,311 vs 8,618)
NRT/HND routing is closer to the great circle routing which is 7,915 miles
SPN Lifer and lincolnjkc like this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 20, 2023 at 6:50 pm
Old Aug 20, 2023, 11:50 am

Programs: United Two Million Miler; United 1K, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Platinum
It’s about 10 hours LAX- NRT and 3-4 Hours NRT-GUM. The layover at NRT is around 1-2 hours. It is about 5 hours LAX-HNL and 7 hours HNL-GUM. The layover is about three hours.

For the return I actually prefer GUM-NRT-LAX over GUM-HNL-LAX. You depart GUM around noon and get to LAX late morning. The timing of the longer lie flat segment is after a shorter flight to NRT and you don’t have to deal with the Hawaii tourists. NRT also has better lounges and souvenir shops, etc.
Old Aug 20, 2023, 11:58 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by bloodyeyeballs
you are traveling XXX-HNL-GUM, there are options to go through NRT if flight to HNL is delayed or canceled. For example, from LAX, the flights to HNL all leave no later than 10:00 am. Flights to Tokyo leave around noon, so I’ve bailed on HNL and picked up LAX-NRT-GUM several times over the years.
I'm curious how this doesn't run afoul of cabotage rules? Is it because Guam is outside the US customs zone?
Old Aug 20, 2023, 12:04 pm

Programs: UA 1P, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by EJRofChicago
I'm curious how this doesn't run afoul of cabotage rules? Is it because Guam is outside the US customs zone?
Not cabotage if both segments are operated by an American carrier.
jsloan, lincolnjkc, wrp96 and 2 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.