Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA345 IAD-HNL diversion to Vegas; chances UA 201 HNL-GUM gets held?

UA345 IAD-HNL diversion to Vegas; chances UA 201 HNL-GUM gets held?

Old Aug 20, 2023, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by enviroian
Tropical storm, not hurricane.
And TS Hilary may produce some very interesting effects in the Las Vegas area as the weather system moves in that direction.
Old Aug 20, 2023, 2:08 pm

Programs: United Two Million Miler; United 1K, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by mediator
Not cabotage if both segments are operated by an American carrier.
I think you need only one segment operated by an American carrier which is United NRT-GUM. I often will fly GUM-NRT on UA and then NRT-LAX on SQ. Itís two separate tickets and I donít check a bag. I got a lot of confused looks at GUM during the pandemic when Japanís border was closed, but it worked then, and it was no problem just a few weeks ago.
SPN Lifer and uanj like this.
Old Aug 20, 2023, 2:23 pm

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by bloodyeyeballs
I think you need only one segment operated by an American carrier which is United NRT-GUM. I often will fly GUM-NRT on UA and then NRT-LAX on SQ. Itís two separate tickets and I donít check a bag. I got a lot of confused looks at GUM during the pandemic when Japanís border was closed, but it worked then, and it was no problem just a few weeks ago.
It would be cabotage if any airline sold you a single ticket for a US origin and destination or was aware that you were using multiple tickets to circumvent the rule. GUM-NRT is international and NRT-LAX is international so no issues at all as separate tickets, **however** GUM-NRT-LAX would require a US carrier.
Old Aug 20, 2023, 3:10 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Aeroplan 25k, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold
Not cabotage if both segments are operated by an American carrier.
Fair point!
Old Aug 20, 2023, 7:04 pm

Originally Posted by bloodyeyeballs
What happens if the first flight is late and you miss the second flight? Does SQ automatically move you to a later flight, or are you stuck, since the 2 flights were not on the same ticket?
Old Aug 20, 2023, 7:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
My guess would be this is the only one-stop option between DC and Guam that does not involve transit at foreign airports. And potentially some government traffic.
Exactly. UA has the govt contract fare for WAS-GUM and this is currently the only one-stop option from DC to Guam since the IAD-Tokyo flight was moved to Haneda. I fly this route every couple of months, although I typically prefer routing IAD-EWR-NRT-GUM for the longer single longhaul segment. Surprisingly (to me at least, even as a pilot) routing via EWR/NRT is actually less distance than flying via HNL.

-FlyerBeek
uanj, wrp96 and mediator like this.
Old Aug 21, 2023, 11:03 am

Programs: United Two Million Miler; United 1K, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by AndyPatterson
What happens if the first flight is late and you miss the second flight? Does SQ automatically move you to a later flight, or are you stuck, since the 2 flights were not on the same ticket?
I guess I would be stuck, but I've never had an issue. Fortunately, the United flight crews from GUM-Japan are ex CO and seem more mission oriented to get the flights out on time. During COVID, when Japan was closed, I always had the option to go back to Guam if necessary. Now there is the option to fly to HNL a few hours later, or even SFO on zipair. However, I would probably just stay in a hotel near NRT overnight. SQ first still beats United Polaris so it is worth the risk for me.
Old Aug 21, 2023, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Airlines have the potential liability of cabotage. Passengers themselves, however, should not give any thought whatsoever, to the extent airlines should not have sold the ticket in the first place, or has notified the passenger prior to departure.

A few years ago, I flew from LGA to YYZ to SFO on AC (separate tickets). Was supposed to be an overnight of around 10 hours, but long delays out of LGA and a next morning rebooking brought it down to less than 2 hours. No one cared.
Old Aug 21, 2023, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Repooc17
Passengers themselves, however, should not give any thought whatsoever, to the extent airlines should not have sold the ticket in the first place, or has notified the passenger prior to departure.
If you mean, the passenger doesn't face arrest, sure.

However, for most people, the possibility of being denied boarding if the airline figures out what you're doing is reason enough to be concerned.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.