Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA 767-300 N641UA structural damage after hard landing (has returned to service)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA 767-300 N641UA structural damage after hard landing (has returned to service)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2023, 9:31 pm

Programs: UA LT Gold (BIS), AA LT Plat (CC SUBs & BD), Hilton Dia (CC), Hyatt Glob (BIB), et. al.
A Boeing 767-300ER belonging to the United Airlines has suffered significant damage following a hard landing at Houston George Bush Intercontinental Airport (IAH).

The aircraft was operating United Airlines flight UA702, which connects Houston with another of the carrier's major hubs at Newark Liberty International Airport (EWR).

The 32-year-old aircraft is one of 37 767-300ERs in United Airlines' fleet and is the oldest among them. The fleet will be retired by 2030 and replaced by the 787.

The cause of the hard landing is still under investigation by the NTSB. The aircraft remains grounded in Houston and is not scheduled for any future flights, Simpleflying reports.

On Saturday, July 29th, the aircraft touched down in Houston on runway 26L at 10:34 local time, just over three hours after leaving Newark. The aircraft then taxied to the stand without further incident.

While there are no reports of injuries among the 193 passengers and 11 crew members onboard, the damage sustained by the 767-300ER was substantial, including wrinkling and tearing in the fuselage. Pictures published on social media show the extent of the damage to the aircraft.
A United Airlines Boeing 767-300ER(WL) registered N641UA experienced significant damage to its fuselage after a hard landing at Houston George Bush Intercontinental Airport (IAH) in Texas, USA. The incident occurred on flight UA702 from New York Newark Liberty International Airport (EWR) on July 29, 2023.

Pictures shared on social media showed a large bend and riddles in the aircraft’s forward fuselage. Fortunately, there were no reported injuries among the 193 passengers and 11 crew members onboard.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2023, 10:23 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Million Miler, Marriott platinum, lifetime platinum
767 300

Last edited by JerseyCityS; Aug 3, 2023 at 9:12 pm
Old Aug 2, 2023, 10:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by JerseyCityS
I book away from these ultra old aircraft. I mean, 1991. ....I didn't even have a cell phone then. Do you see any cars from 1991 on the road? Hardly at all. My favorite is the 757, but these are getting so old, I avoid them. I would probably fly a 767 300 again domestically, but I would seriously rebook from trans-atlantic....
The problem was a hard landing, not age of aircraft. The same thing could happen to a 737 that was delivered to UA earlier this year. I can look out the window and see 737s from the early 1970s reliably running cargo between the Islands.
Old Aug 2, 2023, 10:51 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Million Miler, Marriott platinum, lifetime platinum
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
The problem was a hard landing, not age of aircraft. The same thing could happen to a 737 that was delivered to UA earlier this year. I can look out the window and see 737s from the early 1970s reliably running cargo between the Islands.
I realize that. A plane 2 weeks old could be destroyed by a hard landing. But a plane from 1991 with the incredible stress on it's frame for that amount of time is far more frail. It's just common sense to me.
Dr Jabadski likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2023, 11:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
I realize that. A plane 2 weeks old could be destroyed by a hard landing. But a plane from 1991 with the incredible stress on it's frame for that amount of time is far more frail. It's just common sense to me.
Well, airlines don't just fly them until they fail. Rigorous inspections are required for older aircraft. Just seems to a stretch to avoid aircraft older aircraft (the sky is full of them) based on a fear that they're gonna fail. How many older planes have failed like this in the past 20 years? And how many times have they taken off? Multiply that incident rate times your flying and the number is going to be almost microscopic for something bad happening. Avoiding older aircraft vs the statistical odds of failure makes me not even worry about it. The odds of Harrison Ford on the wrong taxiway almost running into your plane is (or was) higher
Old Aug 3, 2023, 6:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Will the Polaris seats be reused in another aircraft?
Old Aug 3, 2023, 6:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by JerseyCityS (Post # 49)
A plane 2 weeks old could be destroyed by a hard landing. But a plane from 1991 with the incredible stress on it's frame for that amount of time is far more frail. It's just common sense to me.
My son earned his Bachelor of Science in Structural Engineering, from UCSD. I recommend you discuss this with someone who has actual expertise, if airframe structural integrity is an important issue to you.

Follow the science.

Fly the Friendly Skies!

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 3, 2023 at 1:41 pm Reason: let's not overly personalized the disagreement
Old Aug 3, 2023, 7:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SPN Lifer
My son earned his Bachelor of Science in Structural Engineering, from UCSD. I recommend you discuss this with someone who has actual expertise, if airframe structural integrity is an important issue to you.
So... what's your son's opinion on the matter?
Old Aug 3, 2023, 7:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

The B-52 still flying today were built in 1961-62. The Air Force intends to keep some of them flying until 2050.

Do the math.
SPN Lifer, wrp96 and mogi67 like this.
Old Aug 3, 2023, 8:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Will this be the FO's first and last time flying a 767?
Old Aug 3, 2023, 8:38 am

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Every commercial aircraft has a maximum number of cycles stamped on it by the manufacturer, technically known as the "Limits of Validity". This is because pressurization and depressurization do contribute to stress and fatigue -- and like (almost) everything in aviation those limits are conservative, some would say overly so. Nonetheless aircraft in the US tend to be retired (at least from commercial service with airlines you'd recognize) well before they hit the cycle limit.

For the 767-200/300 Boeing has that limit at 75,000 cycles or 150,000 flight hours (a -300F and -400ER is slightly more limited at 60,000 cycles or 150,000 flight hours) -- that's about 17 years of continuous flight. [See Boeing multi-operator message 10-0783-01B, December 19, 2010]

With a continuous airworthiness management program (CAMP) supervised by the FAA commercial airlines in the US generally maintain their aircraft better and more frequently than virtually any other piece of transportation equipment. Before NW merged with DL and retired their DC-9 fleet I had multiple rides on DC-9s that were at least as old as my mother, were older than the subject of this thread, and had I had no airworthiness concerns.
Old Aug 3, 2023, 8:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
The exact same circumstances, with virtually identical damage in the same spot, have befallen 767-300s at all stages of life, from first revenue flight (Skyservice at PUJ 2000) to one year in service (Alitalia at EWR 1997) to nine years in service (ANA at NRT 2012) to 26 years (Atlas at PSM 2018... repaired) to this most recent one at 32 years. Plenty of other examples but this is just a representative selection.

Suffice to say, age of the airframe and metal fatigue is not a substantial factor given the multiple-G forces at play here.

Originally Posted by enviroian
Will this be the FO's first and last time flying a 767?
Not the first time (this FO has ~200h in type).
cesco.g, SPN Lifer and Spectre17 like this.

Last edited by EWR764; Aug 3, 2023 at 9:06 am
Old Aug 3, 2023, 9:13 am

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
For the 767-200/300 Boeing has that limit at 75,000 cycles or 150,000 flight hours (a -300F and -400ER is slightly more limited at 60,000 cycles or 150,000 flight hours) -- that's about 17 years of continuous flight. [See Boeing multi-operator message 10-0783-01B, December 19, 2010]
So if this frame was at 19,408 cycles and 125,209 hours as of May ...

Based on my Google-Fu (https://downloads.regulations.gov/FA...tachment_1.pdf), it looks like the 767-300 LOV is 75,000 cycles and 180,000 flight hours. (Was that extended?)

Obviously it'll never come close to the cycle limit.

That would "only" leave 6 1/4 years of 24x7x365 flying left for this bird.

Assuming it flies 12 hours a day, every single day, 365 days a year, that's 12 1/2 years.

Plenty of life left in this 'ol gal.

Only question is whether the repair is economical or not.
SPN Lifer and lincolnjkc like this.
Old Aug 3, 2023, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Does UA have any widebodies being stored somewhere that can be dusted off?
Old Aug 3, 2023, 1:39 pm

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by dmurphynj
So if this frame was at 19,408 cycles and 125,209 hours as of May ...

Based on my Google-Fu (https://downloads.regulations.gov/FA...tachment_1.pdf), it looks like the 767-300 LOV is 75,000 cycles and 180,000 flight hours. (Was that extended?)
Seems the document I was looking at was an earlier draft and that Boeing had the engineering data to up the flight hour count (interestingly the cycle count didn't change)

Originally Posted by dmurphynj
Only question is whether the repair is economical or not.
Indeed. It will be interesting to see (I suspect that it will probably be called DBER but given the current fleet constraints I wonder if that will change the trajectory at all -- or if we'll just see a bit of [further] belt tightening pending deliveries of new frames.
SPN Lifer and dmurphynj like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.