Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA 767-300 N641UA structural damage after hard landing (has returned to service)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA 767-300 N641UA structural damage after hard landing (has returned to service)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2023, 7:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Just to clarify, the FO was NOT on OE, and the Captain was NOT a line check pilot (LCP, new UA gender neutral term for LCA).
Old Aug 2, 2023, 7:42 am

Originally Posted by Imstevek
If you read the AV report, the FO on IOE likely did not follow the rotate procedure after TD, which apparently is a) different than other airframes, b) a known best practice technique w/ 763 landings.

If anyone subscribes even 1% to the metal fatigue theories as the root cause, please stop flying immediately. This is a structural issue, not a normal-load, repetitive-stress issue. Full stop.
The AV Report or the user comments? Those comments are as a good of a guess regarding what happened as any other "theories" floating out there. Nothing has been confirmed.

And further proof that AV Report isn't accurate.

Originally Posted by halls120
If you look upthread there is a link to the Aviation Herald story which explains what happened. It was a new 767 FO being supervised by a Line Check Airman. My bet is that the NTSB will conclude it was pilot error (new pilot on the aircraft or LCA not reacting fast enough), not a non-airworthy airframe.
Originally Posted by EWR764
Just to clarify, the FO was NOT on OE, and the Captain was NOT a line check pilot (LCP, new UA gender neutral term for LCA).

Last edited by zeus2120; Aug 2, 2023 at 7:51 am
Old Aug 2, 2023, 9:54 am
Original Poster

While the airframe is old, even much newer 767s have exhibited virtually the same damage, at the same or similar stations, when they are de-rotated too aggressively (i.e. after a bounced landing) and the NLG mashes down well in excess of its normal G load. Rather than collapsing or shearing, the load from the gear is translated to the fuselage, and the failure occurs at a similar point in a number of cases. It's not terribly farfetched to posit that the same may have happened here.
Old Aug 2, 2023, 10:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

While the airframe is old, even much newer 767s have exhibited virtually the same damage, at the same or similar stations, when they are de-rotated too aggressively (i.e. after a bounced landing) and the NLG mashes down well in excess of its normal G load. Rather than collapsing or shearing, the load from the gear is translated to the fuselage, and the failure occurs at a similar point in a number of cases. It's not terribly farfetched to posit that the same may have happened here.
This. It’s far too early to blame the damage on the airframe being old.
Old Aug 2, 2023, 11:01 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by halls120
my brother is a retired 767 captain. He gave me these thoughts on what might’ve happened.
Thanks for (re)posting that
Old Aug 2, 2023, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by zeus2120
Edit: As of May 1, 2023 -- 125,209 hours and 19,408 cycles. N646UA was abruptly retired last year after finding metal corrosion with less hours and cycles. Just saying, the age could be a factor in the severity of the damage.
Maybe they can get a new-to-them 767 of similar vintage and “experience” from Condor. Shouldn’t take that long to move some seats over, right?
Old Aug 2, 2023, 12:51 pm

Programs: UA LT Gold (BIS), AA LT Plat (CC SUBs & BD), Hilton Dia (CC), Hyatt Glob (BIB), et. al.
… The 30+ year old age has to be relevant here. ​​​​​​
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Why? What knowledge / experience are you basing that statement on?
… Metal fatigue is real … Just saying, the age could be a factor in the severity of the damage.
Metal Fatigue Life: All metal has a natural fatigue life, caused by repetitive loads that put stress and strain on the aircraft’s structure. Severe loads can further accelerate fatigue.
Much like any metal vehicle, heavy use and wear weaken aircraft over long periods. Any time an aircraft is flown, it endures fatigue.
Are You Flying an Aging Aircraft? Be Aware of Metal Fatigue.
Old Aug 2, 2023, 2:37 pm

Programs: MYOB
Old saying:

A good landing - One that you can walk away from
A great landing - One that you can use the airplane again.
Old Aug 2, 2023, 3:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Yes, metal fatigue is real. Back in the early 80's, the wing of a B-52 at Mather AFB fell off while it was being refueled improperly.

But in the case of the 767, the fuselage didn't just crumple while sitting on the ground. It happened after a very hard landing, and in the place on the fuselage where damage from a hard landing usually results. On an airplane that is notorious for hard landings if not executed precisely.
SPN Lifer, EmailKid and wrp96 like this.
Old Aug 2, 2023, 4:06 pm

LoungeLizardHugo likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2023, 4:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by featheroleather

Are those pics from this incident?

Note to self: Review seats carefully for my LHR trips on the 767
wrp96 and IAD_flyer like this.
Old Aug 2, 2023, 4:57 pm
Original Poster

Those pictures are after UA TechOps and Boeing have begun to tear the cabin apart to evaluate the scope of the structural damage and estimate cost of repair. That's not immediately post-flight (whew!).
Old Aug 2, 2023, 5:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
That damage looks really bad. Yikes!

Feels like UA will scrap the plane, but maybe they will take a page from DL and try to salvage an ancient bird
Old Aug 2, 2023, 5:04 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Those pictures are after UA TechOps and Boeing have begun to tear the cabin apart to evaluate the scope of the structural damage and estimate cost of repair. That's not immediately post-flight (whew!).
Good, as my next question was going to be why we had not heard about passenger injuries. It was operating as UA 702.
Old Aug 2, 2023, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by goodeats21
Are those pics from this incident?

Note to self: Review seats carefully for my LHR trips on the 767
Thanks. That is a relief.

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Good, as my next question was going to be why we had not heard about passenger injuries. It was operating as UA 702.
My thoughts exactly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.