Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA871 (SFO-TPE) 20 July 2023 Diverts Due To Unruly Passenger

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA871 (SFO-TPE) 20 July 2023 Diverts Due To Unruly Passenger

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2023, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by prestonh
From the op's on the diverted tpe flight, it is not at all clear to me what the pax was doing besides coming into the C cabin. There are a number of reasons for this including trying to use the lav because E lav is full or blocked. What is not said is that said pax was unruly or threatening to anyone aside from returning to the C cabin for an unknown reason.
Agreed, I don't have enough information to offer an informed opinion on the UA flight. I was referring to the experience Kacee had on the SQ flight.
SamirD likes this.
Old Jul 21, 2023, 10:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Was he just trying to self upgrade? Or appeared confused or out of it? Was he elderly or younger?

I dont think self upgrading requires a diversion but there should be some other way of dealing with these people. Im in favor of a taser but open to suggestions.
SamirD likes this.
Old Jul 21, 2023, 10:45 am

Programs: UA MM, AA almost MM
Diversion is expensive to UA. I would give UA/FA some credit for knowing what to do. My first experience with an unruly passenger was 2 days ago with over 2 m miles of flying. Personal, I was scared of being trapped in a metal tube with that passenger. The crew handled it perfectly. We completed the flight without an incident. I am very impressed by the UA crews.

It was an United express flight. So technically it was Mesa air crew.
Old Jul 21, 2023, 11:00 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
Did this passenger really pose a threat? Or was he just an annoyance? There seem to be an increasing number of diversions by US carriers based on "failure to follow crew member instructions" but without any indication of a true safety threat.
Well - we do have a 13 year FT member with over 4,000+ post actually on that plane agreeing with the diversion (post #4)
Old Jul 21, 2023, 11:06 am

Programs: frontier Elite, Hertz PC
Do the airlines ban passengers like these that cause a diversion?

Just based on anecdotal evidence I've seen in the forums and the stories that make news, it seems the US flagged airlines are more likely to do a diversion and foreign airlines seems more reluctant. This may just bc these incidents that happen in the US make the news more.

Just in this thread someone mentioned the Singapore airlines incident they witnessed (I think the airline should ban that guy). I'm also thinking about that Air India flight that made the news with the person urinating on a woman and that flight not being diverted (and I think the guy didn't even get arrested. It wasn't until it hit the media that something was done to him if I remember the story correctly).

I fly Frontier often and despite F9 incidents making the news more often, I haven't ever experienced a diversion. The closest I saw was the plane pushing back, and then 5 mins later returning to the gate and a woman and toddler getting off. I did witness a family arguing with the flight attendant bc the mother didn't initially understand the edit row instructions and they didn't want her to move seats because of this. Passengers ultimately complied. I also heard flight attendants announced at end of boarding that passengers in the back would be removed if they didn't settle down (I guess two passengers were arguing and threatening each other about something).

Just as I was about to end this, I remember they kicked a drunk/high guy off LAS-ORD flight just as we were going to push back. I remember the flight attendants asking the GF if she was gonna get off with him. She initially was gonna leave him but then she walked out as he was almost out the door.

It might not surprise people that Ibe taken a lot of F9 flights out of LAS which might explain things as well as F9 being a "budget" airline.
​​​​​​
​​
abaheti and SamirD like this.
Old Jul 21, 2023, 11:08 am

Programs: Lots
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
Well - we do have a 13 year FT member with over 4,000+ post actually on that plane agreeing with the diversion (post #4)
I dont think either of those qualifications are in any way relevant. For message board etiquette, sure, but they have absolutely nothing to do with behavior assessment and risk mitigation. No idea whether the decision was the right one or not, but I wouldnt give the opinion of someone with impressive FT credentials any more weight than any other passenger.
prestonh, SamirD and masmadrid like this.
Old Jul 21, 2023, 11:17 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
IMO, the incident was much less about the passenger trying to come into the J cabin, self upgrade, etc. while we all love a good story about that, this was different. Nor was this about a passenger insulting the crew or someone else.

As described to me by the crew, offending passenger was going throughout the aisles and galleys, flailing their arms. Not responding to multiple requests to return to seat.

This is a 13-hour flight, in no way would you want so much uncertainty with a passenger like that. Even after getting them seated and calmed down.

I dont blame UA one bit for what happened, and will wholeheartedly defend the crews actions during the incident. Yes it is a massive inconvenience, but I was impressed we got out again same-day (a much better experience from a ~2 day escapade to HKG in 2019 that included something like three plane swaps, an SFO diversion, sleeping on the SFO floor, and arriving 24+ hours late)

As I mentioned, Ill add more as the days progress. More than anything, just curious to see what UAs follow up will be like (not from a comp perspective).
Old Jul 21, 2023, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by IggySD
No idea whether the decision was the right one or not, but I wouldnt give the opinion of someone with impressive FT credentials any more weight than any other passenger.
But I will give the opinion of the two FTer on board more weight than those of any of the other posters here on this thread. And the fact that they are not one-post wonders helps add some weight.
SPN Lifer, HNL1K, Statman and 11 others like this.
Old Jul 21, 2023, 11:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I was on an SQ flight recently where a J pax was vaping in his seat, and wouldn't stop despite being confronted by FAs multiple times. Was this inappropriate? Absolutely. Should FAs have forced a diversion due to pax's failure to follow crew member instructions? Absolutely not.
So the desires of one passenger outweigh the comfort of the crew and remaining passengers? If vaping is OK, what other rules should we waive for the convenience of the few who don't believe rules apply to them?
jsloan, SPN Lifer, JC5280 and 14 others like this.
Old Jul 21, 2023, 11:25 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
I appreciate the backup, HNLbasedFlyer

Originally Posted by IggySD
I dont think either of those qualifications are in any way relevant. For message board etiquette, sure, but they have absolutely nothing to do with behavior assessment and risk mitigation. No idea whether the decision was the right one or not, but I wouldnt give the opinion of someone with impressive FT credentials any more weight than any other passenger.
Im not here to debate my qualifications (nor will I outline whether they are or are not relevant).

We all love playing armchair CEO, Pilot, Ops personnel, etc. but in some situations, you just have to be there.

None of us have all the information- Pilots had what FAs told them, I imagine they relayed that to Willis ops to debate diversion. My version is based on being in the immediate vicinity of the purser, several other FAs, and the offending passenger.
Old Jul 21, 2023, 11:32 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by SFO_LOW_CLOUDS
Wouldve expected this to MIA or LAS but not the darling TPE
Fortunately, the disruptive passenger on the UA flight to TPE seems likely to be more inspired by biological urges or biological disorders of some sort than by any physical fights.
SamirD likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 21, 2023 at 11:57 am Reason: Let's focus ocus on the UA issue
Old Jul 21, 2023, 11:41 am

Programs: UA *Alliance
Did this passenger really pose a threat? Or was he just an annoyance? There seem to be an increasing number of diversions by US carriers based on "failure to follow crew member instructions" but without any indication of a true safety threat. The recent AA diversion based on a pax simply mouthing off to the FA is a great example. https://onemileatatime.com/news/amer...tty-passenger/
After reading the article and Googling the individual named. I'm just about convinced that was a publicity stunt to garner internet likes or views.
SamirD likes this.
Old Jul 21, 2023, 11:51 am

Programs: Lots
Originally Posted by United747
I appreciate the backup, HNLbasedFlyer

Im not here to debate my qualifications (nor will I outline whether they are or are not relevant).

We all love playing armchair CEO, Pilot, Ops personnel, etc. but in some situations, you just have to be there.

None of us have all the information- Pilots had what FAs told them, I imagine they relayed that to Willis ops to debate diversion. My version is based on being in the immediate vicinity of the purser, several other FAs, and the offending passenger.
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
But I will give the opinion of the two FTer on board more weight than those of any of the other posters here on this thread. And the fact that they are not one-post wonders helps add some weight.
Sure, I have no idea whether youre qualified to make that decision or not. Im just pointing out what should be obvious that posting frequency is absolutely meaningless. First hand account, absolutely relevant, but just as relevant from someone with 1, 5, 50, or 5000 posts.
SamirD and Live4Upgrades like this.
Old Jul 21, 2023, 11:58 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by SWCPHX
After reading the article and Googling the individual named. I'm just about convinced that was a publicity stunt to garner internet likes or views.
A publicity stunt by the airline? Its not like the passenger ordered the diversion that made for the story.
lsquare and SamirD like this.
Old Jul 21, 2023, 12:01 pm

Programs: UA *Alliance
Originally Posted by GUWonder
A publicity stunt by the airline? Its not like the passenger ordered the diversion that made for the story.
Of course not by AA, a stunt by the pax named in the article.
skylady, chavala and SamirD like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.