Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Email: 30,000 miles on us It's been a hard week for travel

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 7, 2023, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
united.com/30k
App -- under just for you
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2023, 9:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K; Marriott Titanium

Received this AM. Didnt see this posted anywhere else.

I had a flight canceled (well, two flights - outbound and return) FWIW.

Dear ----,

I know this week was hard. Really bad weather, air traffic control issues and some of our own operational challenges led to a rough experience for you and many of our customers.

Because this was a unique series of events and your travel plans were significantly disrupted, we'd like to give you and any other travelers on your reservation 30,000 free MileagePlus® miles each. You'll get an email from us next week with simple steps to claim your miles.

Miles never expire and can be used for flights, Wi-Fi, onboard food and drinks, seat upgrades and more.

Providing these miles is the right thing to do. After all, you put your trust in us and expect more.

Running an airline means managing things that are in our control and being ready to adapt to things that aren't, and I'm confident that we can be better at both moving forward.

I know you have options when you fly, so thank you for choosing United. We look forward to welcoming you on board soon.

Linda Jojo
Chief Customer Officer
United Airlines
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jul 1, 2023, 9:53 am

Programs: *

I just got an unsolicited email from United offering 30,000 miles. Nice gesture...
Old Jul 1, 2023, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

...............with simple steps to claim your miles..........
Nice gesture but why don't UA deposit the miles directly?

I wonder if this is only for GS/1K or all Premier levels?
Old Jul 1, 2023, 10:02 am

Programs: UA Platinum Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
I got it too as a Plat

i had 3x outbounds cancelled this week. Never made the Trip

YMMV I’m sure
Old Jul 1, 2023, 10:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K; Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by TerryK

Agree. I'd rather not look for a second email and jump through hoops. Either way, a nice gesture. I already requalified for 1k next year - generally i'd prefer pqp but in this case I'll take the miles.
Old Jul 1, 2023, 10:10 am

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
Originally Posted by ani90

I just got an unsolicited email from United offering 30,000 miles. Nice gesture...
Just got the exact same offer. What's your status and what kind of delay did you take? It's a nice gesture, but feels very low for a GS member who wasted 12+ hour at the airport and ended up with a 3+ delay from the US to SYD.
Old Jul 1, 2023, 10:42 am

Programs: *
Originally Posted by ironmanjt
Just got the exact same offer. What's your status and what kind of delay did you take? It's a nice gesture, but feels very low for a GS member who wasted 12+ hour at the airport and ended up with a 3+ delay from the US to SYD.
Status is 1K.
Had 48h delay ex EWR on international itinerary bought on ET (but first leg UA). I was actually not at the airport but spent total of 4.5h on the phone.
Old Jul 1, 2023, 10:45 am

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
Originally Posted by ani90
Status is 1K.
Had 48h delay ex EWR on international itinerary bought on ET (but first leg UA). I was actually not at the airport but spent total of 4.5h on the phone.
Looks like it's not status-based but could depend on length of delay. I'll be curious to hear more datapoints. Talked to a colleague who "only" ate a 4 hour delay and he hasn't gotten anything yet.
Old Jul 1, 2023, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
In the meantime, the folks at MileagePlus are furiously calculating the average increase they’re going to have to apply to redemptions to neutralize the new miles.
dw, mbluecpa, rankourabu and 49 others like this.
Old Jul 1, 2023, 10:50 am

Programs: UA 1K (MM), DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), Hertz PC
I wonder where they set the line? I'm certainly not expecting anything for the 2.5 hour delay that I experienced this last week due to this mess, but it'd be interesting to know how many miles are being distributed here...
Old Jul 1, 2023, 10:59 am

Location: The place where it gets so hot in the summer some planes can't take off.
Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, WoH Globalist, National EE, United Platinum
Originally Posted by TerryK

Prob has a disclaimer that you won't pursue future compensation when you claim the miles...
limey1K likes this.
Old Jul 1, 2023, 11:01 am

Programs: UA MP( 1k; 1MM); Hyatt Globalist
30,000 miles for this 1k who was delayed overnight. As a data point
caseminole likes this.

Last edited by HJsimpson; Jul 1, 2023 at 1:23 pm
Old Jul 1, 2023, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This is a wonderful gesture. Now please give us 540,000 miles for a one way business class EWR-LHR.

Thank you for flying the friendly skies, we value your loyalty.
Old Jul 1, 2023, 11:37 am

Programs: DL Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5*
No email, no nothing for this General Member.

Had 17 years of Gold/Platinum on CO (900k lifetime miles). But, like many NYC based folks, defected to DL and AA a few years post-merger due to poor reliability / ops. This was my 5th attempted UA since then.

1) December 2021 - EWR-SFO -- delayed 2 hour due to mechanical. ex-CO 752 had just been pulled from storage. Broken armrest, non-functional power; non-functional maps; caulk all over the bathroom.

2) December 2022 - GVA-EWR -- New Polaris seats were great! Exterior paint visibly chipping off of the 763. Cheeseburger Wellington well documented.

3) April 2023 EWR-MCO-EWR - perfectly fine.

4) Tuesday - EWR-DEN -- 7.25pm flight delayed (inbound from ATL) to 11.49pm, 2am, 3am, 3.30am, then cancelled due to crew time out. No replacement flights available, so had to cancel the trip.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jul 1, 2023, 11:42 am

Originally Posted by HJsimpson
30,000k for this 1k who was delayed overnight. As a data point
Did you write or call in?

I’m 1K and was also canceled/delayed overnight with no hotel voucher offered. I received no email yet.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.