Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Question about Polaris vs AA flagship business

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2023, 6:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: NEXUS, UA Club

I have a question regarding an upcoming trip to Paris, from EWR, but before I get into that, just a quick background. I do not travel for work, all my travel is leisure. As such, the whole experience of the flight (ground, air etc) is part of the experience and while I tend to be loyal to UA and *A in general (UA, AC, TK, TG, NZ), I am not captive. My first choice in flying to Paris was to fly AF as I’ve never flown them before. Unfortunately their flight times simply don’t work for me. I’m currently booked with UA in Polaris, on the 787-10 there and the 777-200 back. I was just checking around, and another option I have is with AA on the 777 there (via CLT) and the 787-8 inbound. For the return flight I’d prefer a non-stop to either EWR or PHL so that limits my choice on the inbound. My assumption is that UA is still the superior option. I feel like the ground experience both ways will be better (Polaris at EWR and *A lounge at CDG vs standard non flagship lounge in CLT and third party lounge in CDG) and the UA hard product would be better, though AA may win out on the food (this would be negated by the Polaris lounge somewhat). My question for you experts is am I making the correct assumptions? Would UA be the better option here, or should I switch to AA? Thanks!
Old Apr 20, 2023, 6:48 am

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by Chiro1979
I have a question regarding an upcoming trip to Paris, from EWR, but before I get into that, just a quick background. I do not travel for work, all my travel is leisure. As such, the whole experience of the flight (ground, air etc) is part of the experience and while I tend to be loyal to UA and *A in general (UA, AC, TK, TG, NZ), I am not captive. My first choice in flying to Paris was to fly AF as I’ve never flown them before. Unfortunately their flight times simply don’t work for me. I’m currently booked with UA in Polaris, on the 787-10 there and the 777-200 back. I was just checking around, and another option I have is with AA on the 777 there (via CLT) and the 787-8 inbound. For the return flight I’d prefer a non-stop to either EWR or PHL so that limits my choice on the inbound. My assumption is that UA is still the superior option. I feel like the ground experience both ways will be better (Polaris at EWR and *A lounge at CDG vs standard non flagship lounge in CLT and third party lounge in CDG) and the UA hard product would be better, though AA may win out on the food (this would be negated by the Polaris lounge somewhat). My question for you experts is am I making the correct assumptions? Would UA be the better option here, or should I switch to AA? Thanks!
Do you live in the Philadelphia area (your location is listed as PHL)? If yes, a nonstop from PHL in J would be superior to every other option.
renila and roberto99 like this.
Old Apr 20, 2023, 6:52 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Non-stops are always better than connection flights.
The seats on AA's B777 are probably better than UA's Polaris (wider), but most of B787 seats on AA are not great.
Regarding lounge, PL at EWR (if you go there earlier for sitting down dinning) is superior than Admiral lounge at CLT, but you won't have access to EWR PL on return because you terminate your trip there.
Service on AA flights including foods is far superior than UA if you care about it.
roberto99 likes this.
Old Apr 20, 2023, 6:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JimInOhio
Do you live in the Philadelphia area (your location is listed as PHL)? If yes, a nonstop from PHL in J would be superior to every other option.
Yes I do, though it’s an easy drive for me to EWR, so either EWR or PHL as a starting point works equally well for me. I’m more concerned about the in flight product and ground experience, which is why I was curious if UA or AA would offer a better product. That being said, if AF magically change their times I’m going with them!! (Originally I was going in October and the AF times from EWR are perfect but oddly the August schedule is a much later departure and arrival into EWR.
Old Apr 20, 2023, 7:08 am

Programs: UA MM
Yes I do, though it’s an easy drive for me to EWR, so either EWR or PHL as a starting point works equally well for me. I’m more concerned about the in flight product and ground experience, which is why I was curious if UA or AA would offer a better product. That being said, if AF magically change their times I’m going with them!! (Originally I was going in October and the AF times from EWR are perfect but oddly the August schedule is a much later departure and arrival into EWR.
Sorry, I should have elaborated a little more. The differences between carriers is not so much that it overshadows the logistics differences of individual routes. For example, *I* would never go out of my way to connect in CLT for a lounge when I can get a lie-flat J seat nonstop.
wrp96, roberto99, halls120 and 2 others like this.
Old Apr 20, 2023, 7:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JimInOhio
Sorry, I should have elaborated a little more. The differences between carriers is not so much that it overshadows the logistics differences of individual routes. For example, *I* would never go out of my way to connect in CLT for a lounge when I can get a lie-flat J seat nonstop.
Gotcha. I understand. I’m generally the same, though since I have the day off anyways I wouldn’t be opposed to an extra flight since my arrival into Paris would be the same time. But I am more than likely going to stick with the UA non stop option. Out of PHL both AA flights would be the 787 and Philly airport is so drab and blah, so I think UA is the way to go here! But fingers crossed for an AF schedule change!! Thanks
Old Apr 20, 2023, 8:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Philly airport is so drab and blah, so I think UA is the way to go here!
I haven't been through PHL in years, but EWR is awful. Sure there's a Polaris lounge but the airport, particularly Terminal C, is otherwise a total cluster. There is absolutely nothing "premium" about the EWR experience.
halls120 and higher_flyer like this.
Old Apr 20, 2023, 8:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't think there is a OW/AA lounge available at CDG.

https://www.americanairlines.fr/i18n...-locations.jsp
Old Apr 20, 2023, 8:19 am

Programs: UA-1K MM, AA-Gold, DL-Silver, AS-MVP
PHL and CLT don't have AA Flagship lounge. And I believe CLT lounge is also undergoing renovation leading to crowding. AA has a lounge at CDG, but looks to be closed at the moment. I suggest just picking based on price and flight times. AF would probably be the best choice if it fits within your parameters.
Old Apr 20, 2023, 8:21 am

Programs: AA Gold, AF apologist
Originally Posted by TomMM

from that site, it looks like they can access the Extime Lounge (FWIW):

"Customers ticketed in Flagship® Business and oneworld® Emerald and Saphire members with a same day departure on an American Airlines operated flight may visit the Extime Lounge in Terminal 2B."
Old Apr 20, 2023, 8:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by TomMM

The OW site references a third party lounge (Extime) in T2. https://www.oneworld.com/airport-lounges?location=CDG

I don't believe the *A lounge is particularly good, either.
Old Apr 20, 2023, 8:24 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Based on your parameters, UA wins hands-down on ground experience. Admirals Clubs at PHL and CLT are weak offerings for international business class. The Polaris Lounge EWR gets crowded but I’ve always had a nice experience. At CDG, the *A lounge is pretty nice, but I haven’t been to T1 since COVID, and it is/was pre-security. The Admirals Club at CDG is closed but I believe there is access to the “Extime” lounge in 2B, which I visited and found to be comparable to the pre-COVID *A Lounge experience.

Onboard, I would rank AA 777 > UA 787 > AA 787 in terms of comfort. Flight attendants are a wash. AA wins on food, but the gap is marginally closer now than, say, 6 months ago.

If you’re looking for the “total experience”, I’d probably pick United by a slight edge given the nonstop itinerary and EWR PL.
SPN Lifer, roberto99 and Chiro1979 like this.
Old Apr 20, 2023, 8:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by EWR764
Based on your parameters, UA wins hands-down on ground experience. Admirals Clubs at PHL and CLT are weak offerings for international business class. The Polaris Lounge EWR gets crowded but I’ve always had a nice experience. At CDG, the *A lounge is pretty nice, but I haven’t been to T1 since COVID, and it is/was pre-security. The Admirals Club at CDG is closed but I believe there is access to the “Extime” lounge in 2B, which I visited and found to be comparable to the pre-COVID *A Lounge experience.

Onboard, I would rank AA 777 > UA 787 > AA 787 in terms of comfort. Flight attendants are a wash. AA wins on food, but the gap is marginally closer now than, say, 6 months ago.

If you’re looking for the “total experience”, I’d probably pick United by a slight edge given the nonstop itinerary and EWR PL.
Thank you! That’s pretty much in line with what I was thinking. Based on that I’m going with the UA option but keeping my eye out for a schedule change with AF. I’m still annoyed that their schedule in August isn’t the schedule they currently have or the one that they have in October. I know it’s unlikely at this point but one can hope!
EWR764 likes this.
Old Apr 20, 2023, 9:23 am
fomerly CoachBoy

Programs: United Premier Platinum, British Airways Silver
Both the AA 787-8's and 772's are a crap shoot in J as they have a mix of SuperDiamond and Concept D seating. The Concept D are the ones to avoid as they go front/back, and if anyone in an adjacent seat stands up, you feel it. You don't know what plane you'll get. I also rate the Polaris lounge above anything that's not Flagship for AA.
econ and Chiro1979 like this.
Old Apr 20, 2023, 11:02 am

Programs: UA 1K, DL GOLD, IHG LIFE PLAT, BONVOY'ED GOLD
CLT you are dealing with a singular Admirals club (main one is undergoing renovation) therefore lines are abysmal. While I will say AA's main advantage here is the food, you are flying on their 788 and 772s, both of which have a possibility of being stuck on their "coffin" seats, with the former being a higher probability than the latter.

In this case, I would take United as you have the Polaris ground experience, both the 772 and 78X feature their polaris product, and the bedding is a lot better in my opinion. Now, if food is a big issue for you, then yes, go with American.
Chiro1979 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.