Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

I was downgraded but boarding passes still all say1k

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2023, 8:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Platinum Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold

I’ve had 7 trips this year already and the boarding passes since 1 Feb still say 1k even though I was purged down to Gold

what’s the deal I can’t figure out why. Is it just cause when I booked them I still had the 1k status? I seem suspiciously high on the upgrade lists for a Gold I will say…. Repeatedly upgrading in and out of Newark since 1 Feb.

Doesn’t matter I just get in the group 1 line.

ytjk
Old Feb 12, 2023, 9:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by ytjk
As you should, since Gold get Group 1!
Old Feb 12, 2023, 10:01 am

Programs: UA GS, HH Diamond
I’ve had 7 trips this year already and the boarding passes since 1 Feb still say 1k even though I was purged down to Gold

what’s the deal I can’t figure out why. Is it just cause when I booked them I still had the 1k status? I seem suspiciously high on the upgrade lists for a Gold I will say…. Repeatedly upgrading in and out of Newark since 1 Feb.

ytjk
What does it say in your MP account page?
Old Feb 12, 2023, 4:12 pm

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC

ytjk
I have heard from conversations with a few agents -- though having been fortunate to maintain my 1K status (but not so fortunate to upgrade to GS) no direct experience to confirm -- at least for those downgrading from GS (or downgraded GS benefits) some of the flags inserted in the PNR at time of booking remain/aren't automatically removed when status is dropped so for those PNRs existing prior to the big bang date there is some 'cushion'.

I am less confident that applies to UG priority specifically but I don't have access to enough information to feel confident declaring one way or the other.
Old Feb 12, 2023, 10:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Platinum Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
I'm gold on my Status page... but all my boarding passes show as 1k... on the "accruals for this flight" part of the reservations it also shows as 1K and the math 11x... When I do land however it does the math correctly I am accruing as a gold.

I don't know... I haven't booked any new tickets since 1 Feb i'm still flying stuff I booked when I was still a 1k. I will write it off as a ghost in the machine... if I got a couple extra upgrades out of it whatever it will end soon enough.
Old Feb 12, 2023, 11:52 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
SAN-DEN flight February 9. Pax argued with gate agent that BP stated 1K. Boarding agent said system indicates not 1K so could not pre-board. Pax kept waving the BP in the face of the gate agent while the rest of us waited for the pax to move to the side.

BIL-DEN flight February 12. Lots of 1K pax milling around waiting for pre-boarding and gate agent announces pre-boarding for the 3 1K pax. Others stood back as we 3 headed up to the scanner.

Thought the BIL gate agent handled it brilliantly. Felt sorry for the SAN gate agent but he held his ground.
Old Feb 13, 2023, 1:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
SAN-DEN flight February 9. Pax argued with gate agent that BP stated 1K. Boarding agent said system indicates not 1K so could not pre-board. Pax kept waving the BP in the face of the gate agent while the rest of us waited for the pax to move to the side. . . .

Felt sorry for the SAN gate agent but he held his ground.
Nothing like the sense of entitlement of a DYKWIA demoted former 1K!

Quite the opposite of our esteemed original poster (OP).
cricketer, kb1992, nnn and 5 others like this.
Old Feb 13, 2023, 6:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
That’s such an odd case. What happens if you clear cookies?
Old Feb 13, 2023, 10:08 pm

Programs: UA OG-1K, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
SAN-DEN flight February 9. Pax argued with gate agent that BP stated 1K. Boarding agent said system indicates not 1K so could not pre-board. Pax kept waving the BP in the face of the gate agent while the rest of us waited for the pax to move to the side.

BIL-DEN flight February 12. Lots of 1K pax milling around waiting for pre-boarding and gate agent announces pre-boarding for the 3 1K pax. Others stood back as we 3 headed up to the scanner.

Thought the BIL gate agent handled it brilliantly. Felt sorry for the SAN gate agent but he held his ground.
Originally Posted by SPN Lifer
Nothing like the sense of entitlement of a DYKWIA demoted former 1K!

Quite the opposite of our esteemed original poster (OP).
I would agree, but if their BP says 1K, why would the GA wave them off? The reader throwing a ‘non pre board’ code? I guess if you have a family member travelling with you, they get to pre-board - is that coded into the reservation barcode?
Old Feb 14, 2023, 2:56 am

Programs: *

Aren't both these accounts speculative or do you know for sure they relate to issue raised by OP?

How do you know in situation 1 that the passenger was not truly 1K? I have surely been told several times that I am not what I am, even after looking at a computer. Sometimes people don't even look at the computer and make assumptions looking at you. From that moment it's downhill and they see whatever they want to see when they eventually look at computer. Computers can be wrong too - I have had to prove before that I am who I am because computer says I am not as I cannot be standing there. Or maybe pax was being fraudulent and using someone else's BP or a doctored BP or whatever. Not saying any of this happened, but unless the pax told you there true circumstances , then that may be an assumption that it links to OP's case.

Situation 2 seems even more an assumption. Lots of faux 1K waiting to preboard who are not entitled to preboard? Really? Are these 'career' 1K or GS imposters? Or are they people affected by mass cull of 1Ks which we swear never happened? And such culled folks are flying BIL to DEN en masse and trying to crash boarding? Or maybe there may be a simpler explanation as to (non-preboarders) crowding the boarding area...
Old Feb 14, 2023, 5:23 am

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by ani90
Aren't both these accounts speculative or do you know for sure they relate to issue raised by OP?
I obviously can't speak for @Aussienarelle, but based on conversations I've had and mentioned up-thread it is plausible, e.g. the flag used to attach the "PREMIER 1K" flag to the BP (like the BE and GS flags) got set at booking and nothing cleared it. Without actually seeing BPs this is educated supposition. It's also possible that those passengers [other than OP] of course are just continuing a learned behavior without thinking much about it [most non-FTers don't pay as close attention to status so if they've been a 1K for 10 years and didn't realize that they ceased to be less than 2 weeks ago...]. Heck I cycled my most commonly needed password a week ago after only 6 months and I'm still fighting the muscle memory...

I have surely been told several times that I am not what I am, even after looking at a computer. Sometimes people don't even look at the computer and make assumptions looking at you. From that moment it's downhill and they see whatever they want to see when they eventually look at computer. Computers can be wrong too - I have had to prove before that I am who I am because computer says I am not as I cannot be standing there..
One of my funniest ariport people watching experiences was at a CLE CO gate in 2005/6 or so. I wasn't paying much attention until voices started climbing and I herd "Ma'am.... Your ticket was issued by Delta. According to Delta you're still in Cincinnati right now. This is Cleveland. Until Delta tells us you're in Cleveland, my hands are tied. ... yes, I know you're here, yes... I see you. But I can't make Delta believe you're here...I can give you their phone number..."
jsloan, SPN Lifer, ani90 and 6 others like this.
Old Feb 14, 2023, 7:09 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA Gold, SPG Plat, HH Gold
Similar situation for a 1K demoted to nothing. United.com website says "General Member". When changing seats, for a previously booked ticket, the seat maps says "As a Gold Member, you can select premium seats." However, clicking on E+ shows the upgrade price. Obviously the demotion didn't quite trickle down through the system.
Old Feb 14, 2023, 9:32 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by PushingTin
I would agree, but if their BP says 1K, why would the GA wave them off? The reader throwing a ‘non pre board’ code? I guess if you have a family member travelling with you, they get to pre-board - is that coded into the reservation barcode?
The GA at SAN was reading the screen as the BP was scanned. Before I was a MM when my son traveled with me I would ask if he could pre-board with me. This was not what the pax at SAN was doing. He was pointing at his BP and the GA was stating the system stated he was not 1K and commented to the pax that the system had an update for status a couple of weeks earlier. The pax wanted to keep arguing about it and the GA asked him to step to the side.

How do you know in situation 1 that the passenger was not truly 1K? I have surely been told several times that I am not what I am, even after looking at a computer. Sometimes people don't even look at the computer and make assumptions looking at you. From that moment it's downhill and they see whatever they want to see when they eventually look at computer. Computers can be wrong too - I have had to prove before that I am who I am because computer says I am not as I cannot be standing there. Or maybe pax was being fraudulent and using someone else's BP or a doctored BP or whatever. Not saying any of this happened, but unless the pax told you there true circumstances , then that may be an assumption that it links to OP's case.

Situation 2 seems even more an assumption. Lots of faux 1K waiting to preboard who are not entitled to preboard? Really? Are these 'career' 1K or GS imposters? Or are they people affected by mass cull of 1Ks which we swear never happened? And such culled folks are flying BIL to DEN en masse and trying to crash boarding? Or maybe there may be a simpler explanation as to (non-preboarders) crowding the boarding area...
Situation 1: as I just commented to PushingTin the GA was looking at the computer screen and commented that there had been a recent update on status run by the system.

Situation 2: well I obviously did not see the BP for everyone milling around the counter and not lined up in BGs 1 and 2, but I did see 1K listed on the BP for a few people round me who did not preboard with me and the other 2 people. Perhaps they were waiting for the next UA flight but BIL does not have many UA flights on a Sunday afternoon as far as I am aware.

Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
I obviously can't speak for @Aussienarelle, but based on conversations I've had and mentioned up-thread it is plausible, e.g. the flag used to attach the "PREMIER 1K" flag to the BP (like the BE and GS flags) got set at booking and nothing cleared it. Without actually seeing BPs this is educated supposition. It's also possible that those passengers [other than OP] of course are just continuing a learned behavior without thinking much about it [most non-FTers don't pay as close attention to status so if they've been a 1K for 10 years and didn't realize that they ceased to be less than 2 weeks ago...]. Heck I cycled my most commonly needed password a week ago after only 6 months and I'm still fighting the muscle "
Thank you lincolnjkc That may well explain that BIL folks who were not one of the three 1Ks to preboard and perhaps the GA announcement at BIL made the folks stop and think about it. For the SAN pax the escalation with the GA was uncalled for and the GA explaining there had been a status update should hopefully have been a gentle reminder but perhaps not. I too have more of these senior moments as I age.

I feel sorry for the front line folks that had to deliver the bad news that the BP had their incorrect status recorded. And it there was a computer glitch arguing in front of a long line of pax is not the way to get it handled.
SPN Lifer and lincolnjkc like this.
Old Feb 14, 2023, 10:17 am

Programs: UA GS 1MM
The most unbelievable of all of this is that there actually are TWO UA gate attendants enforcing the preboarding !
Old Feb 14, 2023, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by benewr
The most unbelievable of all of this is that there actually are TWO UA gate attendants enforcing the preboarding !
Give them employee of the month/year/century award stat!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.