FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - I was downgraded but boarding passes still all say1k
Old Feb 14, 2023, 9:32 am
Aussienarelle

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by PushingTin
I would agree, but if their BP says 1K, why would the GA wave them off? The reader throwing a ‘non pre board’ code? I guess if you have a family member travelling with you, they get to pre-board - is that coded into the reservation barcode?
The GA at SAN was reading the screen as the BP was scanned. Before I was a MM when my son traveled with me I would ask if he could pre-board with me. This was not what the pax at SAN was doing. He was pointing at his BP and the GA was stating the system stated he was not 1K and commented to the pax that the system had an update for status a couple of weeks earlier. The pax wanted to keep arguing about it and the GA asked him to step to the side.

Originally Posted by ani90
Aren't both these accounts speculative or do you know for sure they relate to issue raised by OP?

How do you know in situation 1 that the passenger was not truly 1K? I have surely been told several times that I am not what I am, even after looking at a computer. Sometimes people don't even look at the computer and make assumptions looking at you. From that moment it's downhill and they see whatever they want to see when they eventually look at computer. Computers can be wrong too - I have had to prove before that I am who I am because computer says I am not as I cannot be standing there. Or maybe pax was being fraudulent and using someone else's BP or a doctored BP or whatever. Not saying any of this happened, but unless the pax told you there true circumstances , then that may be an assumption that it links to OP's case.

Situation 2 seems even more an assumption. Lots of faux 1K waiting to preboard who are not entitled to preboard? Really? Are these 'career' 1K or GS imposters? Or are they people affected by mass cull of 1Ks which we swear never happened? And such culled folks are flying BIL to DEN en masse and trying to crash boarding? Or maybe there may be a simpler explanation as to (non-preboarders) crowding the boarding area...
Situation 1: as I just commented to PushingTin the GA was looking at the computer screen and commented that there had been a recent update on status run by the system.

Situation 2: well I obviously did not see the BP for everyone milling around the counter and not lined up in BGs 1 and 2, but I did see 1K listed on the BP for a few people round me who did not preboard with me and the other 2 people. Perhaps they were waiting for the next UA flight but BIL does not have many UA flights on a Sunday afternoon as far as I am aware.

Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
I obviously can't speak for @Aussienarelle, but based on conversations I've had and mentioned up-thread it is plausible, e.g. the flag used to attach the "PREMIER 1K" flag to the BP (like the BE and GS flags) got set at booking and nothing cleared it. Without actually seeing BPs this is educated supposition. It's also possible that those passengers [other than OP] of course are just continuing a learned behavior without thinking much about it [most non-FTers don't pay as close attention to status so if they've been a 1K for 10 years and didn't realize that they ceased to be less than 2 weeks ago...]. Heck I cycled my most commonly needed password a week ago after only 6 months and I'm still fighting the muscle "
Thank you lincolnjkc That may well explain that BIL folks who were not one of the three 1Ks to preboard and perhaps the GA announcement at BIL made the folks stop and think about it. For the SAN pax the escalation with the GA was uncalled for and the GA explaining there had been a status update should hopefully have been a gentle reminder but perhaps not. I too have more of these senior moments as I age.

I feel sorry for the front line folks that had to deliver the bad news that the BP had their incorrect status recorded. And it there was a computer glitch arguing in front of a long line of pax is not the way to get it handled.