Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Travel Waiver: Mid Atlantic Freezing Rain (February 12, 2023 - February 13, 2023)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Travel Waiver: Mid Atlantic Freezing Rain (February 12, 2023 - February 13, 2023)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2023, 1:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K

Airports:
  • Asheville, NC (AVL)
  • Baltimore, MD (BWI)
  • Charlottesville, VA (CHO)
  • Roanoke, VA (ROA)
  • Washington, DC - Dulles (IAD)​

Original ticket must have been purchased by: February 10, 2023

Flight changes/Rebook language:
  • The change fee and any difference in fare will be waived for United flights departing on or before February 18, 2023, as long as travel is rescheduled in the originally ticketed cabin (any fare class) and between the same cities as originally ticketed. View your reservation and select Change Flight to search for alternate flights.
Rebooking window: February 11, 2023 - February 18, 2023

Waiver (normal folks): https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly/travel/notices.html#waiver1

Jetstream Waiver (posted): https://jetstream.united.com/#/all-travel-waiver

David
Old Feb 11, 2023, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Uh oh. What about DCA?

David

p.s. I may be scrod since my Monday (02/13/23) flight ends at DCA - which isn't covered...
Old Feb 11, 2023, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DELee
Uh oh. What about DCA?

David

p.s. I may be scrod since my Monday (02/13/23) flight ends at DCA - which isn't covered...
My first thought too! Good luck.
Old Feb 11, 2023, 2:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Uh oh. What about DCA?

David

Not just DCA but there are many airports in the area where UA operate flights. Is the Ops team this challenged at geography, time after time, or not sure how to read an appropriate map?
Old Feb 11, 2023, 2:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Repooc17
Not just DCA but there are many airports in the area where UA operate flights. Is the Ops team this challenged at geography, time after time, or not sure how to read an appropriate map?
To be fair to ops, they might do more sophisticated weather analysis than I do (look at forecast, imagine being stuck at X or Y location as result). They certainly make some strange goofs here and there, though!
Old Feb 11, 2023, 3:04 pm

I have a flight out of IAD on 2/13, so did some digging. From what I can tell, it’s not BWI/IAD airport ops that are likely to be disrupted, but travel to/from the airport that’s likely to be disrupted. My guess is that UA has data suggesting DCA flyers are DC locals and are not going to face icy roads, so did not issue the waiver.
twomonger likes this.
Old Feb 11, 2023, 4:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by prometa
I have a flight out of IAD on 2/13, so did some digging. From what I can tell, its not BWI/IAD airport ops that are likely to be disrupted, but travel to/from the airport thats likely to be disrupted. My guess is that UA has data suggesting DCA flyers are DC locals and are not going to face icy roads, so did not issue the waiver.
Well, if workers can't get to/from airports, there ain't no ops either.

David
prometa likes this.
Old Feb 11, 2023, 6:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by prometa
I have a flight out of IAD on 2/13, so did some digging. From what I can tell, its not BWI/IAD airport ops that are likely to be disrupted, but travel to/from the airport thats likely to be disrupted. My guess is that UA has data suggesting DCA flyers are DC locals and are not going to face icy roads, so did not issue the waiver.
While it would make sense most would come from nearby areas for DCA, that is by no means something United can be certain. Also, if the weather system moves even a little bit, the track changes. I understand the difference between DCA and BWI/IAD, but if the latter two are on the receiving end, DCA is unlikely to be unscathed, maybe slight better conditions.

I call UA being UA. When UA had a commercial operation in JFK, there had been occasions where JFK would be excluded but LGA and EWR would be included (in the waiver).
Old Feb 11, 2023, 6:49 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus Premier 1K, Delta SkyMiles Diamond Medallion
Maybe the severe weather wont be as bad within the Beltway, and will skirt more west of Washington, D.C.

also kudos to United for being proactive, and offering this waiver unlike Delta Air Lines, which has been very slow to issue any waivers, if any at all, in this case
Old Feb 11, 2023, 7:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by unitedbusiness
Maybe the severe weather wont be as bad within the Beltway, and will skirt more west of Washington, D.C.
Then why issue a waiver for BWI if UA is going to be selective down to around 60 miles between all three airports?

East and west of DCA going to be experience inclement weather but DCA area is just going to be fine and dandy
Old Feb 11, 2023, 8:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Repooc17
Then why issue a waiver for BWI if UA is going to be selective down to around 60 miles between all three airports?

East and west of DCA going to be experience inclement weather but DCA area is just going to be fine and dandy
Apparently that's UA's supposition. Oboy.

David
Old Feb 12, 2023, 2:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

A thought occurred to me - perhaps what's driving this waiver is the expected icing conditions at AVL, ROA and CHO and that both IAD and BWI are the feeder airports for those. Which would explain why DCA isn't included - and a brief check of expected weather for the NCR airports doesn't show any ice storm conditions.

David
Old Feb 12, 2023, 9:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

A thought occurred to me - perhaps what's driving this waiver is the expected icing conditions at AVL, ROA and CHO and that both IAD and BWI are the feeder airports for those. Which would explain why DCA isn't included - and a brief check of expected weather for the NCR airports doesn't show any ice storm conditions.

David
Well, that thesis is proving wrong at this time - and only DCA is showing winter weather effects today so far with nothing possible/probable for IAD or BWI:

Nor anything for AVL, ROA nor CHO.

David
Old Feb 12, 2023, 12:59 pm

Looks like the deicing at DCA has ended. The weather at IAD is currently a nothingburger (I’m looking out a window at the tower now). The name of the waiver event is “freezing rain”, but the forecast for the DC area never called for anything near freezing temps for the bulk of the precip.
Old Feb 13, 2023, 6:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Just following up to note that there were no issues with weather getting into DCA this evening when flying UA. Flight arrived early and even got into the UC at closing to get some water before heading to the Metro.

Will let others who traversed the waivered airports the past two days if they were impacted by any effects due to ice storms and freezing rain.

David

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.