Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Long midday layover IAH need your thoughts

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Long midday layover IAH need your thoughts

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2023, 9:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by david_oz
If you’re not from Texas, add Bucees to your list!
+1.

LCSinTexas and Return2flight like this.
Old Feb 5, 2023, 10:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
These are great suggestions, but your best option is to get a hotel and sleep.
DJ_Iceman and Return2flight like this.
Old Feb 6, 2023, 12:00 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Collierkr
Going to nasa from Iah is 3 hours round trip.

This is way off. It’s a 45 minute drive each way without traffic. 2 hour round trip MAX unless you are choosing to go at the absolute height of rush hour.

As a matter of fact, getting to the Woodlands area at rush hour can be worse than NASA from IAH.
Old Feb 6, 2023, 6:09 am

Programs: Marriott LTP, Wyndham Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, Delta Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by FlyingHoustonian
As for Buc-ee's that is not just a Houston thing but a Texas one!
And now becoming a Southeastern US thing!!!
Return2flight likes this.

Last edited by zdcatc12; Feb 6, 2023 at 6:10 am Reason: Typo
Old Feb 6, 2023, 8:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL 1MM PM: UA Plat
Originally Posted by cmhua777
It should be noted that this post is encouraging you to visit a gas station 🤣. It’s a nice gas station, with lots of unique snacks and gifts. Absolutely worth a peek if you happen to pass one on the road…I have stopped many times. I just think it’s hilarious that this makes the short list of things to do in Houston.

Hahaha! I was planning to look it up once I finished the thread. Who knows? I like weird stuff and while I appreciate all the suggestions about NASA, been there done that. I’m a total nerd with actual astrophysicists as friends . NB:I am not as smart as they are
Old Feb 6, 2023, 8:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL 1MM PM: UA Plat
Thank you, everyone. I really appreciate you taking the time to point me in so many fun directions.

The trip isn’t for a bit so I am open to all your knowledge. Will make sure to come back to this thread with a trip report.
jsloan and ZenFlyer like this.
Old Feb 6, 2023, 9:06 am

Programs: AA GLD, AC
I used to go to Houston for work a fair bit. I used to take the bus from IAH to downtown, which stopped about a block away from my office; it took about an hour. A cab would obviously cost more but should be faster. There are some good restaurants and bars downtown, but not much else.

From downtown you can easily get to the museum district on their light rail if you want.

The issue with Houston is there isn't really an attractive area with a concentration of things to do and see, where you might want to hang out and people watch for a few hours. You're mostly looking at one or two interesting destinations in a sea of bland, American sprawl. Downtown is actually surprisingly walkable, but other than some good places to eat and drink, I can't really think of anything unique to do there. I guess it beats all day at the airport, though.
tcdtcd and Return2flight like this.
Old Feb 6, 2023, 9:15 am

Programs: UA Lifetime 1K, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, HH Diamond, Delta Base, AA Base
Not mentioned yet, is the construction at the airport. The congestion is not too bad during the day but gets very bad 5-7pm. A solution is to think about using Terminal B, rather than C/D/E. An idea I had was maybe Old Town Spring. If you time it right, Corkscrew BBQ is right there, as well as some stores, bars. It's not too far away from the airport area. If you made it to the Heights, you could hop around some microbreweries and maybe visit the Beer Can Museum.
st530 and Return2flight like this.
Old Feb 6, 2023, 9:37 am

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
Originally Posted by tx_wiingman
This is way off. It’s a 45 minute drive each way without traffic. 2 hour round trip MAX unless you are choosing to go at the absolute height of rush hour.

As a matter of fact, getting to the Woodlands area at rush hour can be worse than NASA from IAH.
i gave worse case which is what one should plan for with this adventure. Both of our profiles indicate we are Houston based so won’t debate who is more correct. Getting around houston is difficult for sure!
Return2flight likes this.
Old Feb 6, 2023, 10:30 am

Programs: MileagePlus-Premier Silver, Marriott Bonvoy-Silver Elite
Originally Posted by Unitedloyalflyer
have a lunch at the original Carrabbas
Or lunch at the original El Tiempo Cantina on Richmond Ave, if you like Tex-Mex and/or Margaritas. 20-30 minute ride from IAH.
mechteach and Return2flight like this.
Old Feb 6, 2023, 1:01 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by Return2flight
Thank you! You also answered a question I was thinking of posting on another thread re: waitlisted for upgrade using miles domestic upgrade did came through quickly but am waiting on the ORD-BRU segment. Glad I won’t lose out if that doesn’t clear (from PE). I appreciate your helpfulness
The arboretum is awesome for a couple hour walk!
st530 and Return2flight like this.
Old Feb 6, 2023, 4:40 pm

Programs: Various
Originally Posted by VRFast
Or lunch at the original El Tiempo Cantina on Richmond Ave, if you like Tex-Mex and/or Margaritas. 20-30 minute ride from IAH.
I recommend an Uber, not a car rental, if this is chosen! They do not water down their margaritas.... :-)
LCSinTexas and Return2flight like this.
Old Apr 17, 2023, 9:09 am

16 hours layover in IAH

This year's award ticket redemption has been awful!! I do not live by any airline hub so it is always a short flight from my home airport to the hub. I have not been able to find anything with 3-4 hr layover in IAH like I used in the previous summer. So now I have to settle down with 16 hr layover in IAH before the next EVA Air flight to Taipei (business class) and then to SGN (business class also).

I arrive to IAH around 8:30 am. Should my 8-yr old daughter and I just stay in United Polaris lounge until close (9 pm)? My long haul flight is at 1 am. Or should I get a hotel? I know Polaris lounge is very good so I want to take advantage of that also.

Any advice is appreciated.
Old Apr 17, 2023, 10:47 am

Programs: Hilton Gold Mariott Gold Aeroplan E25K SAS Gold NEXUS
That's a long day in the same place for an 8 year old. An inexpensive hotel near the airport with a pool might be a better choice IMO, there's several there that probably offer a day rate.

Oh - also - I forgot to mention - the Childrens museum in Houston entertained our kids (who were 12, 9 and 5 at the time) for many hours. You may want to consider that as well to keep the 8 year old busy.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 17, 2023 at 12:05 pm Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member
Old Apr 17, 2023, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by anneok
This year's award ticket redemption has been awful!! I do not live by any airline hub so it is always a short flight from my home airport to the hub. I have not been able to find anything with 3-4 hr layover in IAH like I used in the previous summer. So now I have to settle down with 16 hr layover in IAH before the next EVA Air flight to Taipei (business class) and then to SGN (business class also).

I arrive to IAH around 8:30 am. Should my 8-yr old daughter and I just stay in United Polaris lounge until close (9 pm)? My long haul flight is at 1 am. Or should I get a hotel? I know Polaris lounge is very good so I want to take advantage of that also.

Any advice is appreciated.
Polaris lounge maybe a good for a couple of hours but a full day+? Go get a room to rest and relax, go enjoy the city, or even do a mileage run in between.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.