Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Long midday layover IAH need your thoughts

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2023, 1:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL 1MM PM: UA Plat

I can cutdown on connections if I do a long layover at IAH. 8 hours midday. Is there time to get somewhere fun and back? Cutting out a connection actually makes the total time increase so I am trying to decide which is least painful; leaving early and spending time in IAH, or leaving later and hopscotching to IAD by way of ORD and onto international flight which would give my 1.5 layovers at both ORD and IAH.
Old Feb 5, 2023, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Return2flight
I can cutdown on connections if I do a long layover at IAH. 8 hours midday. Is there time to get somewhere fun and back? Cutting out a connection actually makes the total time increase so I am trying to decide which is least painful; leaving early and spending time in IAH, or leaving later and hopscotching to IAD by way of ORD and onto international flight which would give my 1.5 layovers at both ORD and IAH.
In 8 hours, you could get to Austin and back. There is plenty to do in Houston midday -- visiting NASA would be first on my personal list, but obviously everyone has different tastes. They have museums, a nice zoo, plenty of disparate restaurants; you could go down to Galveston to the beach (although it's not the nicest beach on the planet, admittedly).
Old Feb 5, 2023, 2:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL 1MM PM: UA Plat
Originally Posted by jsloan
In 8 hours, you could get to Austin and back. There is plenty to do in Houston midday -- visiting NASA would be first on my personal list, but obviously everyone has different tastes. They have museums, a nice zoo, plenty of disparate restaurants; you could go down to Galveston to the beach (although it's not the nicest beach on the planet, admittedly).
Thank you! You also answered a question I was thinking of posting on another thread re: waitlisted for upgrade using miles domestic upgrade did came through quickly but am waiting on the ORD-BRU segment. Glad I won’t lose out if that doesn’t clear (from PE). I appreciate your helpfulness
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Feb 5, 2023, 2:15 pm

Programs: UA Global Services 3.2 MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, AA Exec Plat
In addition to what jsloan says, depending on time of year, if weather is cooperative, the Eastern Glades at Memorial Park and the new Land Bridge are very pleasant. Top of Land Bridge has 360 views of the urban sprawl that is H-Town. Hermann Park/Rice U is another very nice midday walk if weather is good. Great Tex-Mex (Ninfa's on Navigation, Irma's, many others) and BBQ (Truth, Gatlin's, Feges, Pit Room, many others).

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 5, 2023 at 4:02 pm Reason: Sticky to the issue, not the posters
Old Feb 5, 2023, 3:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K
If you’re not from Texas, add Bucees to your list! There’s one near NASA if you’re going there, otherwise the closest large one to the airport is probably Baytown. That’s where I take my friends when they have a long layover at IAH 🙂

otherwise you have some good suggestions above. Bear in mind traffic. In bad traffic then many parts of the city will be 1+ hour from the airport.
jsloan, mechteach, st3 and 4 others like this.
Old Feb 5, 2023, 4:00 pm

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
I would take the single connection as everytime you add a stop you add more chance of delays and IRROPS.

There is a lot you can do. You can either rent a car or UBER to the Museum district, as just one example, where you can walk between various excellent museums and grab amazing food. Houston is the most diverse city in the country so the food options are infinite as well. PM me and I can elaborate depending on what you like to do and date of the flight.

King Tut's tomb is in town at MFAH and is a nice exhibit, for example. It is not in the museum district but the National museum of funeral history is up north and a quirky but very entertaining and educational museum easy to viait fron IAH.
Old Feb 5, 2023, 6:37 pm

Programs: UA silver, Bonvoy silver
have a lunch at the original Carrabbas
Old Feb 5, 2023, 7:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Unitedloyalflyer
have a lunch at the original Carrabbas
They've really gone downhill since COVID, and now they're much more like the rest of the chain.
Return2flight and Magnum9 like this.
Old Feb 5, 2023, 8:07 pm

We had a long layover once at IAH on the way to EZE. We rented a hotel room and slept for 4 hours after our flight to IAH. It was Thanksgiving day and had dinner at the Waffle House next door. It's still a fun memory. :-)
nk15 and Return2flight like this.
Old Feb 5, 2023, 8:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
My recommendation would be to go visit the Woodlands area. Plenty of shops and dining. Going to nasa from Iah is 3 hours round trip.
EWR764 and Return2flight like this.
Old Feb 5, 2023, 8:38 pm

Programs: UA GS 2MM
Originally Posted by david_oz
If you’re not from Texas, add Bucees to your list!
It should be noted that this post is encouraging you to visit a gas station 🤣. It’s a nice gas station, with lots of unique snacks and gifts. Absolutely worth a peek if you happen to pass one on the road…I have stopped many times. I just think it’s hilarious that this makes the short list of things to do in Houston.
Old Feb 5, 2023, 8:43 pm

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Diamond, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Just be aware: it can take you an hour to get anywhere interesting from the airport, and traffic is unpredictable. Then you have another hour getting back, plus passing through security again. Don't underestimate the time it takes to get places in Houston.

That said, Houston is a much nicer city than it gets credit for. Very multi-ethnic. Richly textured. Kind of a mix between New Orleans and Los Angeles, if you can imagine that. I'd probably just plan a leisurely lunch in town. I like Barnaby's. They have several locations.
TXJeepGuy and Return2flight like this.
Old Feb 5, 2023, 8:44 pm

Programs: UA MM, AA almost MM
Originally Posted by FlyingHoustonian
I would take the single connection as everytime you add a stop you add more chance of delays and IRROPS.

There is a lot you can do. You can either rent a car or UBER to the Museum district, as just one example, where you can walk between various excellent museums and grab amazing food. Houston is the most diverse city in the country so the food options are infinite as well. PM me and I can elaborate depending on what you like to do and date of the flight.

King Tut's tomb is in town at MFAH and is a nice exhibit, for example. It is not in the museum district but the National museum of funeral history is up north and a quirky but very entertaining and educational museum easy to viait fron IAH.
Not to be picky. King Tut's tomb is at the HMNS. Love the Museum District and Herman Park area. I always enjoy walking through the Rice University.
Old Feb 5, 2023, 8:48 pm

Programs: UA silver, Bonvoy silver
Originally Posted by mduell
They've really gone downhill since COVID, and now they're much more like the rest of the chain.
nah. They're still the same. Just prices have went up big time.

Just typing this makes me want their chicken parm. Getting hungry thinking about it
Return2flight and tx_wiingman like this.
Old Feb 5, 2023, 9:01 pm

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
Originally Posted by Ilove2fly
Not to be picky. King Tut's tomb is at the HMNS. Love the Museum District and Herman Park area. I always enjoy walking through the Rice University.
You are 100 percent correct...and I was just there, oy. I was cutting some from the pages and missed the Giacometti and lost my Holocaust Museum one too. Thanks for catching that.

Houston is big, so the joke is Houston is an hour from Houston. That said it is manageable and Transtar and Google have great options if there is traffic, and there are two ways to get to IAH.

As for Buc-ee's that is not just a Houston thing but a Texas one!
LCSinTexas and Return2flight like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.