Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2023 Let's Eat - United Premium Plus (International)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 27, 2023, 12:35 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

2023 Let's Eat - United Premium Plus (International)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2023, 10:21 am

Programs: UA silver, Bonvoy silver
Originally Posted by owen567
Just flew a few days ago 11/4/2023 UA 932 IAD - FRA, Everyone in premium plus was given the economy meal, steak or pasta. Someone asked for an mixed drink and the flight attendant said they come back around and charge them. Asked for red wine, was given a glass, the row in front got the mini bottle. Don't book premium plus for the food. I still don't understand the foot rest.
UA sure does not serve steak in economy
Old Nov 6, 2023, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Don't book premium plus for the food.
The same can be said for Polaris
Aussienarelle likes this.
Old Nov 6, 2023, 3:05 pm

Programs: UA silver, Bonvoy silver
Originally Posted by Repooc17
The same can be said for Polaris
sounds like the Polaris short rib was not very good on that route that it was mixed up for an economy meal. UA sure is not serving that in the back
Old Nov 6, 2023, 3:33 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler, Lifetime United Club member
Just flew a few days ago 11/4/2023 UA 932 IAD - FRA, Everyone in premium plus was given the economy meal, steak or pasta. Someone asked for an mixed drink and the flight attendant said they come back around and charge them. Asked for red wine, was given a glass, the row in front got the mini bottle. Don't book premium plus for the food. I still don't understand the foot rest.
The footrest can be very challenging. If it is in the upper position hugging the seatback (essentially stored out of the way), you have to push it up further to release it down to "footrest" level. I assume that many infrequent PP flyers never figure this out . . .
Old Nov 6, 2023, 8:38 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Star Alliance Gold, Hilton Honors Gold
1. As others have said, UA does not serve beef in economy. I've had the beef rib before a few times, and I liked it. Maybe the caterer had a bad day on your flight, or it was left in the oven too long that the meat became tough and dry.

2. In the early days of PP, there were indeed confusions as to whether liquor was free. This issue has long been settled so this particular case is definitely an FA error.

3. They are indeed inconsistent on how wines are served. If you want a mini bottle, you can always ask.

4. The footrest is adjustable. To reset it, tilt it all the way up with the top of your shoes. To set it, press it down with your shoes to your desired position. Then tilt it slightly up and then step on it again. To change its position, reset it by tilting it all the way up and repeating the process.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Nov 12, 2023, 10:22 am

Programs: UA 1MM 1K, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist, status-free on AA, AS, B6, DL, WN, Amtrak, etc.
UA 64 EWR-LIS, 11/10/2023
787-10

For the first time in my experience, a PlusPoints upgrade didn't clear on a paid PP fare--I ended up second on the upgrade list, leaving me saying to myself "fine; yes today, Satan." But anyway: Dinner was pretty great overall! The steak came out medium rare, something I can't remember ever happening on a plane before. I repeat: medium-rare steak inflight.

The mushroom sauce served in that foil cup didn't do much for me, but the creamed spinach and potatoes were excellent accompaniments. Salad was fine, made more interesting with bits of fennel, and the Milk Bar cookie cake thing was delicious. Good service too, with the FA topping off everybody's wine glasses and making sure I had my choice (the other option was a pasta dish). The roll, OTOH, was forgettable and would have been even if it had been served warm.

Breakfast options were a scrambled egg choice that appeared to come with potatoes and spinach or some other greens, so would have been redundant after my dinner. Instead, I got a "banana bread French toast," and after a few bites of these food pucks and the vanilla cream sauce around them I realized that this dish reminded me of the old French toast souffle. Which is good! Croissant doesn't look like much but did arrive warmed, still inside its ovenable plastic.

Since I also slept decently, I don't feel bad about upfaring to PP even if it didn't yield the upgrade I planned on. But having a printed menu would class up the presentation a bit. (Having written that, I now realize that I forgot to look in the app to see if they had a menu to consult there. Would I have seen one if I'd bothered to check?)
VRFast likes this.
Old Nov 13, 2023, 2:13 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Star Alliance Gold, Hilton Honors Gold
Originally Posted by DCA writer
UA 64 EWR-LIS, 11/10/2023
787-10

(Having written that, I now realize that I forgot to look in the app to see if they had a menu to consult there. Would I have seen one if I'd bothered to check?)
No, there is no online menu or pre-ordering available for Premium Plus at this time.
DCA writer likes this.
Old Nov 26, 2023, 8:51 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 1K, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist, status-free on AA, AS, B6, DL, WN, Amtrak, etc.
UA 65 LIS-EWR, 11/17/2023
787-10

Disappointing overall compared to the PP experience on my flight to Lisbon a week earlier--especially thinking about the considerably higher buy-up that still left me in second place on the upgrade waitlist as boarding ended. The croutons in the salad were soggy, the chicken was unremarkable, the roll in a plastic bag tasted like a roll in a plastic bag, and drink service didn't come with refills offered without asking as it had on the Friday before. The mashed potatoes were delicious, though, and a Bailey's accompanied the chocolate truffles well.

The pre-landing snack is usually an afterthought, but the salad was better than what I got with the main course and the pesto twists were a overdue change from the turkey-gouda sandwich I had a year ago.

Old Dec 31, 2023, 9:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Didn't get photos, but...

Currently on BNE-SFO, Jan 1st, so possibly a new menu day. Choices for PP lunch after departure were "Chicken or Shepherd's Pie". I picked Chicken, and it was actually quite good - a smallish chicken breast, mashed potato, spinach(?), and roasted corn.

My seat-mate picked the Shepherd's Pie. Now in my mind, shepherd's pie is a pretty well defined dish - with liekly the only contention being whether it has to be made using lamb, or if beef can be used instead (which a purist would claim is actually a cottage pie).

What she was instead served was some form of triangular fold-over pasty-like pastry which took up maybe half of the plate and was waybe half an inch thick. Inside the two layers of pastry was a very small amount of mince. Nothing else on the main plate other than the pasty. It might have be suitable for a pre-landing snack, but even then I would have been unhappy with it. I'm hopeful this is a catering error on the first day of a new menu, as what was served certainly wasn't suitable for a PP main meal.
Old Dec 31, 2023, 10:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K, QF Gold
Originally Posted by docbert
Didn't get photos, but...

Currently on BNE-SFO, Jan 1st, so possibly a new menu day. Choices for PP lunch after departure were "Chicken or Shepherd's Pie". I picked Chicken, and it was actually quite good - a smallish chicken breast, mashed potato, spinach(?), and roasted corn.

My seat-mate picked the Shepherd's Pie. Now in my mind, shepherd's pie is a pretty well defined dish - with liekly the only contention being whether it has to be made using lamb, or if beef can be used instead (which a purist would claim is actually a cottage pie).

What she was instead served was some form of triangular fold-over pasty-like pastry which took up maybe half of the plate and was waybe half an inch thick. Inside the two layers of pastry was a very small amount of mince. Nothing else on the main plate other than the pasty. It might have be suitable for a pre-landing snack, but even then I would have been unhappy with it. I'm hopeful this is a catering error on the first day of a new menu, as what was served certainly wasn't suitable for a PP main meal.
Sounds like the Impossible Pie.. did it look like this?

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/35564899-post55.html
Old Dec 31, 2023, 11:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by simong
Sounds like the Impossible Pie.. did it look like this?
Looked a little different to that - I'd say it was probably made with a different type of pastry, however I think you're correct as other than the actual pastry it looked exactly like that. Somehow "Impossible" became "Shepherd's" which is an interesting change...
Old Jan 1, 2024, 5:34 am

Programs: UA 1K & 1MM/AA Gold & 1MM/HH Gold/Marriott Titanium
FCO-IAD on 12/31

Happy to report my first intl flight in Premium Plus! We flew FCO-IAD on 12/31 on the B764. Since we booked relatively late we were in the last row.

after departure, first drink run with a package of almonds. Was served red wine from a bottle, not individual serving.

Followed by lunch service. Only chicken option was available when they got to us, the vegetarian option was already gone so not sure what it was.

chicken breast served with potatoes and green beans and pretty good. Also came with salad, pre packaged roll and packaged cookies. All in all not bad!

another drink run after lunch served and had same wine but daughter on other aisle was given an individual serving wine bottle.

snack basket came through with drink service halfway. I went to the back galley for a drink at one point and also saw a snack basket out.

one FA did say we should use lav back by row 38 but everyone kept using lav been Polaris and PP, including pax from E+.

pre arrival service was choice of cheese “pizza” or chicken pesto. Of course - huge disappointment after the pizza we had in Rome 😃. Pizza came with same salad as lunch. Y just got the pizza in a box that was on top of the cart. Followed by one last drink service.

Premium Plus was great for our family and our kids first trip to Europe! My son and I sat together and we wish you all a happy new year! Andrew also celebrated his first ever airline status making UA silver on thus flight! ✈️😍

Last edited by TWA Guy; Jan 1, 2024 at 5:41 am
Old Jan 5, 2024, 2:40 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
2023 has ended, new thread is
2024 Let's Eat - United Premium Plus (International)

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 18, 2024 at 8:47 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.