Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

AA to drop Mesa, Mesa to offer its CRJ900s to UA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA to drop Mesa, Mesa to offer its CRJ900s to UA

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2022, 10:54 am

Programs: UA-G MM, Priority Club Platinum, Avis First, Hertz 5*, Red Lion
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
The lack of any UA statement suggests Mesa may be throwing a bunch of ideas on the wall to see what might stick. That UA is perhaps listening but not talking.
what we do know that that the other UX carriers have had staffing issues. Mesa may have made the offer to UA 'we have the staff now, you could just adjust your aircraft/other UX feed around the scope to take advantage of it'. Combined with UA dropping Air Wisconsin, and other UX adjustments, this may not be coincidental. This is the read i am getting from it.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2022, 11:19 am

Programs: UA
Crank Flier has published an analysis and comes to the conclusion that there are no issues with the scope clause

Further info per FT Rules
It just so happens that of Mesa’s CRJ-900s, there are 23 that are owned by Mesa and are the newest build aircraft — including 7 which haven’t even hit 8 years yet. It should be easy to park 23 under-utilized E175s, paint the 23 CRJ-900s, and get them in the air just in time for Air Wisconsin to start painting its planes in American’s livery.

Why not just take the pilots and have them fly the E175s? That requires training and training takes time. Air Wisconsin is leaving soon. There is no time to lose.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 19, 2022 at 11:32 am Reason: Insufficent summary, should not need to follow the link
Old Dec 23, 2022, 3:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K
This newest article: https://www.ch-aviation.com/portal/n...rs-united-deal, discusses much of what we already know. However, I still find that number of 38 to be ironically similar to the number of E170s in the fleet. I viewed a video of Scott Kirby talking to Mesa employees about parking aircraft to bring the CRJ-900s online and comply with scope. It could actually be that additional 70 seat E175s will join once all CRJ-900 pilots are type rated, while some 76 seat E175s could come out of storage. The most perplexing thing is the base locations. In the video clips, Kirby admits there may be deadheading involved in crew positioning.

I apologize that I do not have a link to the video clips. If someone posts it, great, otherwise, I will keep looking.
Old Dec 23, 2022, 5:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by travelingdrsuz
This. The CRJ9s are old, dirty, and broken (as far as something on board like arm rest, power outlets, or internet). I just flew one again and AA sent me a survey, and I basically said that these planes were the worst part of AA for just that reason. I hate them. Apart from an ERJ-145, the CRJ9 is the worst of AAircraft to me. But at least the 145s are very short distances usually.
Have fun with those, UA.
And I for one can't think of a better place for those Devil's Chariots to end up than over at American. :P

Originally Posted by Bunky
Looks to me that Republic might get dumped. They have 38 E170s flying for UA and 28 E175s. That's 66 units and Mesa is shown to have 64 CRJ900s.
I'm mixed on Republic. Their crews seem to be okay, their planes for some reasons feel less reliable than some of the other regional carriers. It could be I'm still a bit bitter about them basically killing off Midwest.

Originally Posted by wrp96
AA employees refer to Mesa as Maintenance Every Single Aircraft, and have for years.
There's plenty of posts here calling Mesa "Messy"

Originally Posted by Micp3208
This newest article: https://www.ch-aviation.com/portal/n...rs-united-deal, discusses much of what we already know. However, I still find that number of 38 to be ironically similar to the number of E170s in the fleet. I viewed a video of Scott Kirby talking to Mesa employees about parking aircraft to bring the CRJ-900s online and comply with scope. It could actually be that additional 70 seat E175s will join once all CRJ-900 pilots are type rated, while some 76 seat E175s could come out of storage. The most perplexing thing is the base locations. In the video clips, Kirby admits there may be deadheading involved in crew positioning.

I apologize that I do not have a link to the video clips. If someone posts it, great, otherwise, I will keep looking.
I thought that the CR2/55/7/9 were all considered the same plane and there wasn't additional training required. I could (likely am) be 100% wrong with that.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Dec 23, 2022, 5:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Don't entirely understand why UA would want to bring on a new type of bird into the UAX fleet. Part of that is being selfish, as I feel that the quality of birds flying UAX routes these days is generally quite good. Being EWR-based, that's also somewhat biased given that we only get E170s, E175s, and CR550s now. But with the elimination of ZW's CR2s, it feels like the general quality (i.e. mix of aircraft) of the UAX fleet is as good as it's ever been.
Old Dec 23, 2022, 5:25 pm

CR9 versus 175s are the issue. Mesa has a pilot pools from both types, requiring trying to get rated on the 175 which seems to be preferable.

i have been on a CR2, CR5, and CR7. Not sure I have ever flown on a CR9. Since Mesa doesn’t come to EWR, I probably never will, either!
Old Dec 23, 2022, 5:27 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Originally Posted by WIRunner
I thought that the CR2/55/7/9 were all considered the same plane and there wasn't additional training required. I could (likely am) be 100% wrong with that.
The CRJs are all a single type rating. Crews would only need a short differences course to qualify on additional dash numbers. The E170/175 is a different type rating.

Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
Don't entirely understand why UA would want to bring on a new type of bird into the UAX fleet.
I think it is because Mesa has 23 E170/175 series airplanes, that are supposed to be flying for UX, that are currently parked because they don't have enough trained crews to fly them. They do have trained CRJ-900 crews and those CRJ-900s will soon be released from their AE flying and would be available to immediately switch to UX flying.
Old Dec 30, 2022, 6:36 am

It has been confirmed. Mesa and United finalized their deal on 12/27, and up to 38 CRJ-900s will move to United. The release says the number is dependent on the number of E175s Mesa is operating. There will be 9 lines of flying for United in March, and it is expected these CR9s will end up doing mostly western city flying.

There was no mention of the E170s being replaced, but that fleet, operated by Republic is 50% grounded, so these look like a good frame for frame replacement for them. It would be nice if some of the Mesa E175s that are brand new and grounded come back to life with Mesa or another UAX flying partner.

Source: https://investor.mesa-air.com/news-r...full-year-2022

Last edited by Micp3208; Dec 30, 2022 at 6:56 am
Old Jan 6, 2023, 8:13 am

How is mesa airlines nowadays?

So for my upcoming SEA->YYZ flight I have the options between going through DEN with last leg operated by United themselves or going through IAD with the last leg operated by Mesa Airlines.

How is Mesa Airlines nowadays? A google search seems to show all kinds of mixed results over the years. But I have never been to IAD before so it’s kind of tempting.
Old Jan 6, 2023, 8:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
AA employees refer to Mesa as Maintenance Every Single Aircraft.
Old Jan 6, 2023, 11:46 am

Well that doesn’t sound encouraging I’ll stick with United then
Old Jan 6, 2023, 12:02 pm

Programs: UA-G MM, Priority Club Platinum, Avis First, Hertz 5*, Red Lion
Originally Posted by wrp96
AA employees refer to Mesa as Maintenance Every Single Aircraft.
Is that not a faa requirement?
SPN Lifer and atword like this.
Old Aug 11, 2023, 8:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 1MM/ *G
How long with the Mesa CRJ900s be around?

I can’t find any published infor from United on when they will retire (set aside) the 900s as pilots move to the ERJ70/75s.

I live in Kentucky, and use SDF mostly. When the CRJ900s were assigned to the IAH-SDF R/T route, I was initially (as an AvGeek) excited - A New Type!!

But now…..

Always Ops issues (delays/Mechanicals/equip swaps with seat layouts). No Wi-Fi. The 900s are definitely well worn.

Can’t find any info on when UA thinks they’ll be done with them. Anyone?
ll22949 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.