Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

AA to drop Mesa, Mesa to offer its CRJ900s to UA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA to drop Mesa, Mesa to offer its CRJ900s to UA

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2022, 11:19 pm

Looks to me that Republic might get dumped. They have 38 E170s flying for UA and 28 E175s. That's 66 units and Mesa is shown to have 64 CRJ900s.
Old Dec 19, 2022, 12:17 am
Moderator: United Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by travelingdrsuz
This. The CRJ9s are old, dirty, .....
The interiors would have to be refreshed before they could operate for UA. A number of things would have to be changed to be UX.
Old Dec 19, 2022, 3:12 am

Programs: UA 1K, VA Platinum
This will be a very interesting few weeks to watch play out. UAX is scoped out on any unit > 50 seats. Republic is currently adding 76-seat E175s for United, which are only allowed due to some parked Mesa frames. Someone is going to lose flying, whether the CR9s come to UAX or not. Something is obviously in the works. My sense is that there is a possibility of a Mesa bankruptcy. United owns 48 of Mesa’s E175s, plus all 20 of its E175SCs. If those frames were all to go to another operator, UAX could add 18 more E175s. The only way I see the CR9s come on is if the Republic E170s also leave the fleet (which is possible).

The Skywest CR7s at UAX will not go anywhere unless Aspen Airport certifies another type for the complicated approach procedure. The E175 is the likely replacement choice there, but as of yet is not approved for the approach as I understand. Even amongst CR7 carriers, each carrier must be certified for the approach which is something Skywest closely guards.

Interesting resting times indeed at UAX.
Old Dec 19, 2022, 4:03 am

To me, this looks more like a desperate attempt by Mesa to stop their CRJ-900 crews from bolting. Pilots especially will have no problem finding work at other regional airlines and won't stick around at Mesa if they know they know they will lose their jobs in the spring. No doubt Mesa has been talking to UA, but presumably UA has long term contracts with its other UX partners and can't just cancel one contract and sign another.

It will be interesting.
lincolnjkc, UAinAUS and TXJeepGuy like this.
Old Dec 19, 2022, 6:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by StuMcIlwain
To me, this looks more like a desperate attempt by Mesa to stop their CRJ-900 crews from bolting. Pilots especially will have no problem finding work at other regional airlines and won't stick around at Mesa if they know they know they will lose their jobs in the spring. No doubt Mesa has been talking to UA, but presumably UA has long term contracts with its other UX partners and can't just cancel one contract and sign another.

It will be interesting.
Interesting thought, but we also know that United is doing something with their UAX system. Air Wisconsin is leaving, taking a lot of CR2s with them. These are still all over United's schedule.
So either United is going to cancel a LOT of flights off their schedule soon, or they will be replacing the frames/capacity somehow.
Old Dec 19, 2022, 6:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by travelingdrsuz
This. The CRJ9s are old, dirty, and broken (as far as something on board like arm rest, power outlets, or internet). I just flew one again and AA sent me a survey, and I basically said that these planes were the worst part of AA for just that reason. I hate them. Apart from an ERJ-145, the CRJ9 is the worst of AAircraft to me. But at least the 145s are very short distances usually.
Have fun with those, UA.
AA employees refer to Mesa as Maintenance Every Single Aircraft, and have for years.
JimInOhio and travelingdrsuz like this.
Old Dec 19, 2022, 6:36 am

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC

It will be interesting.
or
Agree; though I might replace "junior" for "CRJ-900" -- though Mesa does have a track record of 'interesting' ideas for flying so maybe they turn some frames into cargo or ... ?

Originally Posted by goodeats21
Interesting thought, but we also know that United is doing something with their UAX system. Air Wisconsin is leaving, taking a lot of CR2s with them. These are still all over United's schedule.
So either United is going to cancel a LOT of flights off their schedule soon, or they will be replacing the frames/capacity somehow.
I have a feeling this will be a short-term combination of small reductions, increased utilization/operational efficiency of the current fleet, as well as additions of 'new' CRJ-550s and perhaps short-term some un-parking of ERJ-145s (IIRC, UA owns/is the master lessor for substantial portion of the ex-ExpressJet 145 fleet -- those that are currently flying for C5 as well as those that are parked). I'd prefer not but it also wouldn't surprise me of OO backfilled with some CR2s on that side of the operation.

The move that doesn't make any sense (to me) would be adding an entirely new type to the fleet -- ala the CR9 -- unless there's some very clear advantage to UA over the E175 (e.g. significantly lower operating cost) -- on the other hand at many airports UA gates already have stop lines painted for the CR9 so maybe I'm overestimating the cost/complexity of adding a new type.
Old Dec 19, 2022, 7:04 am

Programs: UA 1K
Mesa released a press release today indicating that they will being operating as United Express with 38 CRJ-900, dependent on the E-175s in operation. Additionally, Mesa has finalized sales of CRJ-550s to United and some CRJ-900s to a third party. The United Express additions could begin as early as March 2023.

Source: https://investor.mesa-air.com/news-r...-down-contract
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2022, 7:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by Micp3208
Mesa released a press release today indicating that they will being operating as United Express with 38 CRJ-900, dependent on the E-175s in operation. Additionally, Mesa has finalized sales of CRJ-550s to United and some CRJ-900s to a third party. The United Express additions could begin as early as March 2023.

Source: https://investor.mesa-air.com/news-r...-down-contract
Couple of interesting quotes which I am not sure how to parse with scope clause, etc:

Mesa is finalizing a new-five-year agreement with United Airlines that would place the associated aircraft into United Express operations and compensate Mesa for the higher costs associated with regional jet flying. The new agreement would cover all of Mesa’s existing flying at American and could increase to 38 CRJ-900 aircraft, dependent upon the number of E-175s that Mesa is operating.
Most importantly, after years of reduction in service to smaller and rural communities, this agreement will help turn the tide and is expected to add over 100 regional jet flights into the United network,
Wonder if we will hear something from United on this soon. Would think their PR/IR teams would want info out from their perspective.
WVmike likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2022, 8:05 am

Programs: UA-G MM, Priority Club Platinum, Avis First, Hertz 5*, Red Lion
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Neither WN or unions are the subject of this thread, please let's return to the UA / CRJ900 discussion.

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
UX scope clause comes into play, which is certainly a union issue (it is in their contract(s)):

"The new agreement would cover all of Mesa’s existing flying at American and could increase to 38 CRJ-900 aircraft, dependent upon the number of E-175s that Mesa is operating."
https://investor.mesa-air.com/news-r...-down-contract

can we discuss scope clause and not union then?
Old Dec 19, 2022, 8:09 am

Programs: Mileage Plus, Marriott Rewards, Southwest Rapid Rewards

It will be interesting.
Agreed. Mesa has publicly floated the idea of offering to United, no news on where United stands on this. Now they can blame United when a deal doesn't happen.
Old Dec 19, 2022, 8:14 am

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by goodeats21
Couple of interesting quotes which I am not sure how to parse with scope clause, etc:
Maybe there's confirmation bias on my part but a few thoughts that jumped out at me...
  • I get the impression Mesa is looking to substitute CR9s for E75s rather than add ("could increase to...")
  • "is finalizing" is very clearly a forward-looking statement, while the implication is more likely that it will be finalized in a week or a month or two we might hear something along the lines of "blah blah blah, unable to successfully conclude an agreement blah blah"
  • Note that the metric quoted is 100 flights not aircraft and there's also no rate (is that 100 flights per day? per week? over the term of the agreement?) -- if that's per per week and assuming you only get 3 legs out of an aircraft daily you could do that with 5 aircraft.
I'm beginning to wonder if the plan is for Mesa to push out all of their E-Jet flying, including E175s that are owned by UA but operated by Mesa. UA could then push those E175s to other UAX carriers and remove a corresponding number of non-owned E175s from the operation (IIRC, most if not all of the OO E175s are owned/leased by OO, so--depending of course on the UA/OO CPA--those not flying [for UA] don't have the financial impact that a UA owned aircraft does being parked). No net change in the number of 76 seaters just a re-arrangement of some of the deck chairs.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2022, 8:46 am

Programs: UA MM
If the addition of the CR9 results in a like-sized loss on the E75 then it's a losing deal for UA flyers. Regardless, the Mesa press release sure wasn't written with the objective of being clear or, if it was, it wasn't achieved.

Maybe the end result will be more conversions of CRJ-700 to CRJ-550 with the replacing aircraft being CRJ-900s reconfigured to 70 seats. We probably won't know what's really going on until UA comes out with a comprehensive statement.

Last edited by JimInOhio; Dec 19, 2022 at 9:39 am Reason: spelling
Old Dec 19, 2022, 10:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by prestonh
... can we discuss scope clause and not union then?
The scope clause is clearly a topic, but let's not devolve into "unions are evil" rhetoric of some posts. That's an OMNI topic

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
Daze, goodeats21 and WVmike like this.
Old Dec 19, 2022, 10:09 am
Original Poster

The lack of any UA statement suggests Mesa may be throwing a bunch of ideas on the wall to see what might stick. That UA is perhaps listening but not talking.
xzh445 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.