Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Connecting flight at different airport for passengers needing assistance Question

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Connecting flight at different airport for passengers needing assistance Question

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2022, 9:29 pm

Programs: AA, but I play the field
Originally Posted by Annerk
I'd also ask are the parents mentally sharp and just can't make the three mile trek from check in to gate (need for wheelchair) or is there diminished mental capacity as well. If it's the latter, I might have a different response. As in accompany them to JFK and then get them on their non-stop flight to DEL before flying home.
Apart from calling the UA Accessibility desk as [MENTION=169654]SeamusSA[/MENTION] suggested , this ^ seems like far and away the best suggestion to me, irrespective of whether your parents are mentally sharp or not. Connecting flights always add a layer of unpredictability to any trip, even for experienced and able-bodied travelers. Two individuals in wheelchairs, dependent upon two wheelchair attendants, navigating a long and/or complex transfer adds many additional layers of unpredictability and stress. If you can't fly with them from TPA, at least arrange to meet them at their arriving gate (whether EWR or JFK) and put them on their direct JFK - DEL flight. Overall cost (in money and award miles) may be greater, but I suspect it will be a bargain compared to the amount of time you (and your parents) will have to spend making and then worrying about complicated transfer arrangements. Good luck!
m.y, wrp96, Annerk and 1 others like this.
Old Oct 26, 2022, 9:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by ZenFlyer
Apart from calling the UA Accessibility desk as [MENTION=169654]SeamusSA[/MENTION] suggested , this ^ seems like far and away the best suggestion to me, irrespective of whether your parents are mentally sharp or not. Connecting flights always add a layer of unpredictability to any trip, even for experienced and able-bodied travelers. Two individuals in wheelchairs, dependent upon two wheelchair attendants, navigating a long and/or complex transfer adds many additional layers of unpredictability and stress. If you can't fly with them from TPA, at least arrange to meet them at their arriving gate (whether EWR or JFK) and put them on their direct JFK - DEL flight. Overall cost (in money and award miles) may be greater, but I suspect it will be a bargain compared to the amount of time you (and your parents) will have to spend making and then worrying about complicated transfer arrangements. Good luck!
All fair points, but it does beg the question: How are the parents going to get back to Florida from India?
Old Oct 27, 2022, 5:35 am

Programs: AA, but I play the field
Originally Posted by guv1976
All fair points, but it does beg the question: How are the parents going to get back to Florida from India?
Same thing in reverse?
Annerk likes this.
Old Oct 27, 2022, 7:42 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, AA PP
Other one-stop options for MCO-DEL include Star Alliance carriers AC and UA, and non-Star-Alliance carriers BA, EK, and VS.

The point is, if the parents fly out of TPA on UA, there would be no EC261 protection -- not even duty of care.
There are typically 2-3 BA flights a day. One goes to LHR, two go to LGW. Playing the odds, it's very likely that they would end up in Gatwick with their connection to Air India leaving from LHR. Then you have a new problem, because BA isn't going to check the bags all the way through, and has no requirement to transfer them between airports.

Emirates only flies from MCO on certain days. If there is an issue at MCO at the gate and the flight is cancelled, they wouldn't be able to take the AC flight as it leaves YYZ around noontime. So they would have to fly a day earlier and spend the night. UA flights from MCO would present the same issues as TPA.

I still believe that the best course of action is to physically get them on their nonstop flight at JFK.
Old Oct 27, 2022, 7:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
If the OP is going to go for paid tickets, instead of relying on award travel, another option is AA. AA has a JFK-Delhi flight, and has flights (or at least codeshares on B6) from both TPA and MCO to JFK that connect with that flight. It would eliminate the need to transfer airports or have long overnight layovers.
Old Oct 27, 2022, 8:24 am

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by wrp96
If the OP is going to go for paid tickets, instead of relying on award travel, another option is AA. AA has a JFK-Delhi flight, and has flights (or at least codeshares on B6) from both TPA and MCO to JFK that connect with that flight. It would eliminate the need to transfer airports or have long overnight layovers.
My guess is the OP knows there are many options that would work reasonably well with paid tickets. The other consideration for the OP, and if he wants to share, is how ambulatory are his parents? It's one thing to need wheelchair assistance through an airport, it's quite another to be wheelchair bound. If truly wheelchair bound, then changing terminals might not be a feasible solution, either, such as with B6 to AA at JFK. Likewise, TPA-ORD-DEL all on UA might be a good option whereas TPA-ORD-DEL on UA/AI might not be. Same scenario through EWR.
wrp96 and ZenFlyer like this.
Old Oct 27, 2022, 9:11 am

Programs: UA 1k
Originally Posted by jamesbondc
Hello Seniors, I am looking to book my elderly parents a business class ticket for India trip with my United miles but connecting flight is at different airport and they will be on wheelchair. Will the wheelchair person take them to connecting flight at different airport or do they need to take a cab? Thanks.
DO NOT DO THIS. Sorry for shouting here but it's important to understand what you would be subjecting your parents to. We tried once a JFK to ERW transfer: it was miserable experience and we still missed our flights. United can help in the airport but in-between your parents will be on their own. Just to understand: here is the process
  1. Get off the plane
  2. Collect luggage and put it on a cart
  3. Wheel it out to the curb, get to the taxi stand
  4. There may be a line at the stand
  5. Negotiate with the taxi driver. Some NY cab drivers are nice, some are not. Some will try to negotiate a fixed rate instead of the meter. Some will try to cheat you. Some will not speak English or pretend not to speak English.
  6. Work your way to the other side of town. Depending on time and weekday this can take a long time. Rush hour in NYC is no fun. Some cab driver may take you the "scenic route" to run up the meter
  7. Get out at JFK, pay the driver (who may or may not take credit card) and find a porter for your luggage
  8. Wheel it all to the check in counter
  9. Check bags, get boarding passes, wheel through security.
  10. Go into the lounge to relax and recover from the ordeal.
United can help with steps 1-3 in EWR. They only have a VERY limited presence in JFK and they not flying to India from there, so you would have to make arrangements with the actual airline that operate the flight.

The only viable option for this that I can see is to book a private car with personal assistance/VIP service. These are definitely available in EWR but it will be quite expensive
ZenFlyer and benfro6 like this.
Old Oct 27, 2022, 9:22 am

Maybe they are visiting from India?
nlf likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Oct 27, 2022 at 3:22 pm Reason: DIscuss the issue, not the poster(s)
Old Oct 27, 2022, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Travel between EWR and JFK is pretty miserable no matter how one does it.

I personally like the idea of a FRA or EWR connection the best. All other things equal, I'd probably opt fr FRA if I had the choice.
Old Oct 27, 2022, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ZenFlyer
Same thing in reverse?
Who's going to meet them at the gate at a connecting airport in Europe? And if the connecting airport is in the U.S., no one can meet them at the gate because they will be going through Immigration and Customs.

Originally Posted by malgudi
Maybe they are visiting from India?
And if they are visiting from India, how did they manage to make it here? The OP's parents might not be quite as helpless as some are suggesting.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Oct 27, 2022 at 3:24 pm Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member
Old Oct 27, 2022, 12:32 pm

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
Who's going to meet them at the gate at a connecting airport in Europe? And if the connecting airport is in the U.S., no one can meet them at the gate because they will be going through Immigration and Customs.
If you order wheelchair service, they'll push you through a connection and even immigration and customs.
Xyzzy likes this.
Old Oct 27, 2022, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HkCaGu
If you order wheelchair service, they'll push you through a connection and even immigration and customs.
Exactly, and that's true no matter where they connect. The point is that some poster(s) suggested up-thread that the OP meet his parents at the connecting airport. That obviously is not practical at a lot of connecting airports, whether traveling to India or from India.
Old Oct 27, 2022, 1:11 pm

Programs: UA Plat & 1MM (40 yr MP), HH Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Hilmar Lehnert
DO NOT DO THIS. Sorry for shouting here but it's important to understand what you would be subjecting your parents to. We tried once a JFK to ERW transfer: it was miserable experience and we still missed our flights. United can help in the airport but in-between your parents will be on their own. Just to understand: here is the process
  1. Get off the plane
  2. Collect luggage and put it on a cart
  3. Wheel it out to the curb, get to the taxi stand
  4. There may be a line at the stand
  5. Negotiate with the taxi driver. Some NY cab drivers are nice, some are not. Some will try to negotiate a fixed rate instead of the meter. Some will try to cheat you. Some will not speak English or pretend not to speak English.
  6. Work your way to the other side of town. Depending on time and weekday this can take a long time. Rush hour in NYC is no fun. Some cab driver may take you the "scenic route" to run up the meter
  7. Get out at JFK, pay the driver (who may or may not take credit card) and find a porter for your luggage
  8. Wheel it all to the check in counter
  9. Check bags, get boarding passes, wheel through security.
  10. Go into the lounge to relax and recover from the ordeal.
United can help with steps 1-3 in EWR. They only have a VERY limited presence in JFK and they not flying to India from there, so you would have to make arrangements with the actual airline that operate the flight.

The only viable option for this that I can see is to book a private car with personal assistance/VIP service. These are definitely available in EWR but it will be quite expensive
Isn't United out of JFK this Saturday?
Old Oct 27, 2022, 1:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by Live4Upgrades
Yes.
Old Oct 27, 2022, 2:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Live4Upgrades
Yes, but its Star Alliance partner, Air India, will still be flying out of JFK.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.