Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Connecting flight at different airport for passengers needing assistance Question

Connecting flight at different airport for passengers needing assistance Question

Old Oct 26, 2022, 12:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by guv1976
If the OP's parents are going to take the EWR-JFK connection, why would they need a hotel? That is (presumably) a same-day connection; once they get to JFK, they will have lounge access on their Business Class award tickets.
Read between the lines...OP upthread asked if the lounges open 24/7.
Old Oct 26, 2022, 12:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Repooc17
Read between the lines...OP upthread asked if the lounges open 24/7.
EWR->JFK was a same-day connection. The same-airport options involved overnight stays, hence the question about 24/7 lounges.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Oct 26, 2022, 1:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by jsloan
EWR->JFK was a same-day connection. The same-airport options involved overnight stays, hence the question about 24/7 lounges.
Ok. Misread.

Even at 28 hours at different connecting airports, there would still be a long connection somewhere. I would still consider getting a room to rest and freshen up.
jsloan likes this.
Old Oct 26, 2022, 5:27 am

Programs: UA Plat, 2MM
I would never risk sending elderly people in wheelchairs in a taxi from EWR-JFK, NEVER. Hire a car service to take them. You know they will be met, they will be cared for and you know who is driving your parents. For that trip leave many, many hours to get through New York. The traffic in New York can be horrible.

Car service, not a taxi or hotel
Redhead, jsloan, m.y and 5 others like this.
Old Oct 26, 2022, 9:25 am

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
Assuming you have family/relatives assisting in lifting baggage, they will also have to retrieve and recheck baggage both on a EWR-JFK transfer and any overnight connection.

I'm guessing wheelchair assistants may possibly help them retrieve bags to a taxi, but probably not from a taxi to the check-in counter.
jsloan, SPN Lifer and Annerk like this.
Old Oct 26, 2022, 12:47 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
There's tons of non-stop flights TPA-JFK. Have you considered other ticketing options, such as separate TPA-JFK & JFK-DEL tickets?
Xyzzy and benfro6 like this.
Old Oct 26, 2022, 1:57 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, AA PP
I would also keep an eye on award availability on Lufthansa MCO-FRA-India. If the alternative is an EWR-JFK connection involving an expensive taxi/Uber ride, might as well take an expensive taxi/Uber ride from Tampa to MCO.
They would need to change piers in T1 at FRA, which I believe would include a security check.

I agree that it would be preferable to Uber from TPA to MCO and fly from there as opposed to trying to get through crosstown traffic to JFK. At one point there was a set price that cabs could charge, but I don't know if it still exists. MCO is my home airport, and I feel that you'll get a lot more help there than you would at JFK if something goes wrong. Plus they are much closer to home if something goes really wrong and they won't be able to make the trip.

That said, if for some reason the LH flight doesn't go, the chances of them getting another flight on that itinerary on a Reward ticket within the next who knows how long are iffy. And you don't have many other options. Not being in FRA would mess up the connection to DEL, and that could become an option as well.

I'd also ask are the parents mentally sharp and just can't make the three mile trek from check in to gate (need for wheelchair) or is there diminished mental capacity as well. If it's the latter, I might have a different response. As in accompany them to JFK and then get them on their non-stop flight to DEL before flying home.

Also keep in mind that if they want to use the lounge (probably) the wheelchair pushers can't stay with them or let them stay in the wheelchairs while they are lounging. Something to think about if they have mobility issues that will keep them from enjoying a lounge.
jsloan, jamesbondc and ZenFlyer like this.
Old Oct 26, 2022, 2:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Annerk
That said, if for some reason the LH flight doesn't go, the chances of them getting another flight on that itinerary on a Reward ticket within the next who knows how long are iffy. And you don't have many other options. Not being in FRA would mess up the connection to DEL, and that could become an option as well.
Don't the protections of EC261/2004 apply equally to reward tickets as cash tickets?
jamesbondc likes this.
Old Oct 26, 2022, 2:25 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, AA PP
Don't the protections of EC261/2004 apply equally to reward tickets as cash tickets?
If there are no flights with available seats, they would get their cash payment and a so sad, too bad. They aren't going to boot a paying passenger out of a seat the next night to accommodate a passenger who had a flight cancelled the day before. Sure they could try to interline them, but that also means a possibly much longer layover or again, the requirement to transfer to a different airport. EC261/2004 also doesn't apply if there is a passport/visa/covid test or vax card related issue.
jamesbondc likes this.
Old Oct 26, 2022, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike...
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
They would need to change piers in T1 at FRA, which I believe would include a security check.
FRA is far better set up to assist passengers like these than you'll find in an EWR-JFK connection, where they will need t reclear security in any event.
jsloan and jamesbondc like this.
Old Oct 26, 2022, 6:53 pm

Stop and think about your elderly parents. PLEASE. Staying in a hotel would be much easier than hoping the connections work out .
jamesbondc likes this.
Old Oct 26, 2022, 7:33 pm

Originally Posted by jamesbondc
Hello Seniors, I am looking to book my elderly parents a business class ticket for India trip with my United miles but connecting flight is at different airport and they will be on wheelchair. Will the wheelchair person take them to connecting flight at different airport or do they need to take a cab? Thanks.
Seniors?

Might be better to go the paid travel route rather than trying to save $. Tons of options that don't involve a change of airports.
wrp96 and RRROOO like this.
Old Oct 26, 2022, 9:13 pm
Original Poster

Can a person buy economy ticket and use the miles to upgrade to business class? I was looking at that option but it says upgrade waitlist. How can a person upgrade and be sure they will have confirmed business class ticket after upgrade with miles?
Old Oct 26, 2022, 9:43 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.98MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by jamesbondc
....How can a person upgrade and be sure they will have confirmed business class ticket after upgrade with miles?
Only if PZ exists at time of booking, otherwise understand it may never clear and even more likely never for non-status travellers
jsloan, jamesbondc and nlf like this.
Old Oct 26, 2022, 9:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
If there are no flights with available seats, they would get their cash payment and a so sad, too bad. They aren't going to boot a paying passenger out of a seat the next night to accommodate a passenger who had a flight cancelled the day before. Sure they could try to interline them, but that also means a possibly much longer layover or again, the requirement to transfer to a different airport. EC261/2004 also doesn't apply if there is a passport/visa/covid test or vax card related issue.
Other one-stop options for MCO-DEL include Star Alliance carriers AC and UA, and non-Star-Alliance carriers BA, EK, and VS.

The point is, if the parents fly out of TPA on UA, there would be no EC261 protection -- not even duty of care.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.