Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA1 (SFO-SIN) diverting to HNL 04 Sept 2022

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA1 (SFO-SIN) diverting to HNL 04 Sept 2022

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2022, 10:47 am

Just curious. With this type of situation, do the passengers just hang out at HNL (or wherever) until the next flight? Or are the lodging and meal accommodations?
Old Sep 4, 2022, 11:56 am

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
Originally Posted by jsloan
OK, fair. They could have diverted for another reason, at which point the crew rest rules would definitely come into play when trying to resume the flight. My point was that they wouldn’t divert for crew rest — the crew wouldn’t get into the air and then suddenly realize that they were about to go illegal.
correct but no one here implied they diverted for crew rest. The fact is that once they diverted and were delayed crew rest was an issue.
Old Sep 4, 2022, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by lamphs
Just curious. With this type of situation, do the passengers just hang out at HNL (or wherever) until the next flight? Or are the lodging and meal accommodations?
I was trying to ask my brother if they got hotel for the day (and if he had beach clothes handy), but never heard back on that.

Surely, pax have enough time to leave security and come back. I was wondering if they all need to re-checkin, get new BPs, etc. or if the existing ones suffice. I suppose they need new ones for no other reason that, at minimum, the flight number change. With an ~approx 05:30 landing, that flight will probably be flying relatively close to tonight’s UA 1 and so probably helps with ATC.
Old Sep 4, 2022, 12:27 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
That’s a tough diversion airport with pets. Hawaii won’t release the pets to you.
SPN Lifer, chavala and Antarius like this.
Old Sep 4, 2022, 1:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K, MM
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
That’s a tough diversion airport with pets. Hawaii won’t release the pets to you.
Assuming the pets are in cargo--wasn't clear from the earlier post. If in cargo, I'd be worried about cleanliness (toilet/litter issues), water, and food. If an in-cabin pet..well, what happens then, given vet/quarantine rules? Will they just not let you leave the airport secure zone with your pet?
Old Sep 4, 2022, 2:11 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by lancelot21
Assuming the pets are in cargo--wasn't clear from the earlier post. If in cargo, I'd be worried about cleanliness (toilet/litter issues), water, and food. If an in-cabin pet..well, what happens then, given vet/quarantine rules? Will they just not let you leave the airport secure zone with your pet?
I don’t know if you can do in cabin to SIN (doubt it). If you could my bet is the State takes the pet to a pet quarantine area immediately. The state is very strict. You definitely aren’t leaving airport with pet.
Old Sep 4, 2022, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Pets were both in cabin. They were left in quarantine at the airport though.

Flight landed at 5 AM, but my fam had to wait for 3 hours until quarantine opened up.
​​​​​​

My family was given hotel vouchers and meal vouchers. They got a pretty nice hotel on Waikiki beach from UA.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Sep 4, 2022 at 4:11 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Sep 4, 2022, 5:20 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
I don’t know if you can do in cabin to SIN (doubt it). If you could my bet is the State takes the pet to a pet quarantine area immediately. The state is very strict. You definitely aren’t leaving airport with pet.

Unless something has changed recently the Airport has a very nice and pretty large quarantine area for pets.

The rules have definitely changed on bringing in pets as mine had to go thru the 90 day quarantine, but now you can do a bunch of paperwork ahad of time and cut that time down dramatically.
Old Sep 4, 2022, 5:48 pm

UA currenlty isn't accepting pets in cargo, haven't since COVID started. I have a suspicion they probably have no desire to bring it back given the liability issues that always seem to eventually come up when they and other airlines accept pets as cargo.

At least at UA, diversions for any reason are always considered controllable (for purposes of amenities). Everyone gets vouchers and accommodations per their usual guidelines for controllable disruptions.

Originally Posted by Hipplewm
Unless something has changed recently the Airport has a very nice and pretty large quarantine area for pets.

The rules have definitely changed on bringing in pets as mine had to go thru the 90 day quarantine, but now you can do a bunch of paperwork ahad of time and cut that time down dramatically.
(Unrelated to the diversion, since the flight was never intended to land in HNL) But dont' believe UA is routinely allowing pets in cabin for Hawaii bound flights due to all the additional paperwork that falls on the airline for it as well.

Though from HI's perspective, an unexpected INTL flight with pets in cabin is probably better than an unexpected domestic flight with pets in cabin, since the INTL pets in cabin at least have some overlapping documentation requirements with what HI requires (rabies vaccination, which as I understand it is the main concern for HI and why they require the quarantine). But that is really drifting off topic.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Sep 4, 2022, 8:43 pm

Back to SF?

Originally Posted by Antarius
EF Showing

0001/03SEP
P SFO/OUT 1121P L00.21 EST OFF 1140PCONNECTIONS
P SFO/OFF 1147P
P HNL/ETA 500A
F HNL/ETD 547A
N SIN/LX
D FCF/DVRT HNL ENRT SFO-SIN A/

SKED SFO ORIG 1100P GTD G3 SHIP 3968
SIN 615A TERM 2 GTA HOLD

47 minutes on the ground, that's likely to offload a pax based on the time (medical, disruptive)? Anyone have any information?

one of my collg is on board, she said she going back to SFO then will fly again directly to SIN, is there any updt?
Old Sep 4, 2022, 9:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by vivaeighteen
one of my collg is on board, she said she going back to SFO then will fly again directly to SIN, is there any updt?
The aircraft is leaving at 11 PM Hawaii time (in 6 odd hours) for SIN as UA3012. My family is on this flight.

That's the default rebooking. Although, it's possible that your colleague decided to go back and fly another day.
Old Sep 4, 2022, 9:21 pm

Originally Posted by Antarius
The aircraft is leaving at 11 PM Hawaii time (in 6 odd hours) for SIN as UA3012. My family is on this flight.

That's the default rebooking. Although, it's possible that your colleague decided to go back and fly another day.
thanks for your kind update 👍🏼
Yes thats what she told me 3hrs ago that she will going back to SFO first .. anyway still couldnt track the new 3012 flight on FR24 tho or is it already landed in Sin?😆
Old Sep 4, 2022, 10:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
so, my brother got told they ‘ran out’ of hotel rooms for him, but they gave him $200 to use for taxi/hotel. I guess he found his own room for a few hours. I don’t think he has status, so not sure if they prioritized any rooms they had for 1k/plat or whoever else with status, or why they ‘ran out’ if he could find one. I’m sure I’ll get the whole story when he’s back next week.
Old Sep 4, 2022, 10:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by emcampbe
so, my brother got told they ‘ran out’ of hotel rooms for him, but they gave him $200 to use for taxi/hotel. I guess he found his own room for a few hours. I don’t think he has status, so not sure if they prioritized any rooms they had for 1k/plat or whoever else with status, or why they ‘ran out’ if he could find one. I’m sure I’ll get the whole story when he’s back next week.
I suspect “ran out” in this context means that they ran out of rooms that were available at their contracted rate with whichever properties they use, rather than “there’s not a hotel room available on the island.”
Old Sep 5, 2022, 2:52 am

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, MR Titanium
Originally Posted by emcampbe
$200 seems extremely miserly for a hotel + taxi in Honolulu. A round trip taxi to Waikiki is probably $80, leaving just $120:for the hotel. Any last-minute hotel room would likely be several times that, so I would in their shoes ask United to reimburse them for the difference plus (reasonable) meal expenses.
wrp96 likes this.

Last edited by lotemblizej; Sep 5, 2022 at 3:01 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.