FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - UA1 (SFO-SIN) diverting to HNL 04 Sept 2022
Old Sep 4, 2022, 5:48 pm
Lux Flyer

Originally Posted by lancelot21
Assuming the pets are in cargo--wasn't clear from the earlier post. If in cargo, I'd be worried about cleanliness (toilet/litter issues), water, and food. If an in-cabin pet..well, what happens then, given vet/quarantine rules? Will they just not let you leave the airport secure zone with your pet?
UA currenlty isn't accepting pets in cargo, haven't since COVID started. I have a suspicion they probably have no desire to bring it back given the liability issues that always seem to eventually come up when they and other airlines accept pets as cargo.

Originally Posted by lamphs
Just curious. With this type of situation, do the passengers just hang out at HNL (or wherever) until the next flight? Or are the lodging and meal accommodations?
At least at UA, diversions for any reason are always considered controllable (for purposes of amenities). Everyone gets vouchers and accommodations per their usual guidelines for controllable disruptions.

Originally Posted by Hipplewm
Unless something has changed recently the Airport has a very nice and pretty large quarantine area for pets.

The rules have definitely changed on bringing in pets as mine had to go thru the 90 day quarantine, but now you can do a bunch of paperwork ahad of time and cut that time down dramatically.
(Unrelated to the diversion, since the flight was never intended to land in HNL) But dont' believe UA is routinely allowing pets in cabin for Hawaii bound flights due to all the additional paperwork that falls on the airline for it as well.

Though from HI's perspective, an unexpected INTL flight with pets in cabin is probably better than an unexpected domestic flight with pets in cabin, since the INTL pets in cabin at least have some overlapping documentation requirements with what HI requires (rabies vaccination, which as I understand it is the main concern for HI and why they require the quarantine). But that is really drifting off topic.