Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

For 1Ks With Light 2022 Travel - What Are Your Plans?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2022, 2:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC

So here we are in September, and I think I'm at about 4,000 or so PQP, and barring a major partner fare sale to Asia or Europe in Business, or a double or triple PQP promo from United, 2023 will be the first time in 25 years I say goodbye to top-tier status on my chosen airline. Last year the thought of this would have really stressed me out, but this year I've sort of given up because I'm just not traveling that much at all due to airfares and restrictions in Japan and Taiwan, where before the virus I might be making 4-5 annual trips to Japan, Taiwan, Singapore or some other SE Asia fare-sale spot, along with at least one hop to Europe. I'm also just not seeing so much value in the product to get excited about. I'm lifetime gold, and between that, my Amex card, and Priority Pass, lounge access is no problem, and I can still pre-reserve Y+ seats at booking, and board with Group 1.

I haven't seen an upgrade in as long as I can remember, even trying to use the huge bundle of PP points still sitting there, that I assume will be gone Jan 1 after I fail to qualify.

I'm also concerned about starting to throw a lot of money into re-qualifying, only to find out the 2023 MP program has significant devaluations along with a much higher prequalifying bar for 2024, thus only delaying the inevitable.

I'm kicking around the idea of doing that one NYC-CGK trip on JAL to get lifetime OW Emerald and have two lifetime mid-tier programs to fall back on, and being able to get decent benefits across UA, AC, AA, AS and JAL. Another option is wait for the 2024 program details to drop, then if it looks worthwhile, I can always re-qualify again.

So the questions:

1. If you're holding 1K and not going to qualify next year, what's your plan?
2. what do you think will happen in Q4 with the MP program - PQP bonuses or soft landings?
3. what is your forecast for 2024 changes to the MP program and is that affecting your decision to re-qualify for status now?
Old Aug 26, 2022, 3:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
If you're not traveling... who cares about status?
Old Aug 26, 2022, 3:31 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
I made 1K this year in August. Two months earlier than for the past ten years.

I am interested to see the PQP qualification for 2024.
narvik likes this.
Old Aug 26, 2022, 3:35 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus Premier 1K, Delta SkyMiles Diamond Medallion
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
I made 1K this year in August. Two months earlier than for the past ten years.

I am interested to see the PQP qualification for 2024.
do you think it will be raised above the $13,500 for next year ?

Last edited by unitedbusiness; Aug 26, 2022 at 6:27 pm
Old Aug 26, 2022, 3:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, Bonvoy Titanium & LTP, HH Gold, Accor Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by mduell
If you're not traveling... who cares about status?
Apart from pretty much everyone on FT?
Old Aug 26, 2022, 3:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
I have been flying close to pre-Covid level, and i have been dealing with packed planes and congested airport except for certain destinations such as China and Hong Kong.

This leads me to think there won’t be any PQP bonus or soft landing.

On the other hand, the packed planes and congested airports could be mostly leisure travels and business travels may not be back, so you guess is as good as any.
Old Aug 26, 2022, 3:57 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K \\ ConciergeKey
I haven’t been flying a ton domestically, which means my UA butt in seat has been pretty low this year, but I have been taking a lot more international trips on SIN//ANA which has helped me maintain my 1K status due to that.

Don’t really have plans to chase anything on UA this year, as I’ve qualified, but it is making me think that next year is in danger as domestic trips are not as frequent anymore, and it will be more and more intl, and i dont know if I want to fly *A carriers just to keep my UA 1K status.
Old Aug 26, 2022, 4:00 pm

Programs: Former UA1K transitioning to WFBF mentality
Will meet Platinum and be ~$2k short of 1K. Honestly not sure it's worth it. I see lots of IN availability, which you get as Plat, but not much PZ. So the differentiator really is PlusPoints, but like CPUs and the tooth fairy, do not really exist anymore I am instead accepting mid-tier status and deciding that I will either buy first/business, or slum it in economy. If the airlines aren't loyal to me -- and I remember the good ole CO days ex-IAH -- I see no reason to return the favor.
Artpen100 and Spaulding70 like this.
Old Aug 26, 2022, 4:08 pm

Programs: UA-G MM, Priority Club Platinum, Avis First, Hertz 5*, Red Lion
Originally Posted by bocastephen
So here we are in September, and I think I'm at about 4,000 or so PQP, and barring a major partner fare sale to Asia or Europe in Business, or a double or triple PQP promo from United, 2023 will be the first time in 25 years I say goodbye to top-tier status on my chosen airline. Last year the thought of this would have really stressed me out, but this year I've sort of given up because I'm just not traveling that much at all due to airfares and restrictions in Japan and Taiwan, where before the virus I might be making 4-5 annual trips to Japan, Taiwan, Singapore or some other SE Asia fare-sale spot, along with at least one hop to Europe. I'm also just not seeing so much value in the product to get excited about. I'm lifetime gold, and between that, my Amex card, and Priority Pass, lounge access is no problem, and I can still pre-reserve Y+ seats at booking, and board with Group 1.

I haven't seen an upgrade in as long as I can remember, even trying to use the huge bundle of PP points still sitting there, that I assume will be gone Jan 1 after I fail to qualify.
Why give the airline more spend if there is little/nothing of benefit for you in return (since you already have lifetime *G)?
Old Aug 26, 2022, 4:09 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus 1K, 1MM, 1.8 MM, IC RA
I will likely make 1K in September simply by buying business for all of my domestic and international travel. I had not really anticipated that but I’m just not willing to travel in the tight confines of economy.
Old Aug 26, 2022, 4:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by prestonh
Why give the airline more spend if there is little/nothing of benefit for you in return (since you already have lifetime *G)?
That's where I am with my analysis - as a lifetime member, I can share my status with a spouse, so we're basically getting 1K for two with my status, but I'm trying to figure out what I'm losing, aside from bragging rights:

1. pre-boarding - so I board with Group 1 and get on the airplane 3 minutes later
2. free snack when flying coach - I'll live
3. priority for upgrades - that never clear
4. my meal choice when flying in first - again, not the end of the world
5. losing access to the 1K phone desk - this could be an issue, but then again if my travel is infrequent, it won't be the end of the world

The only thing I can quantify is losing the free award change/redeposit option, so I need to be more careful with my award bookings, especially as I will be doing more of those if I decide to stop pursuing any form of future qualification.

Bottom line, it seems there isn't much of a differentiation between Gold-Platinum-1K unless I'm missing something significant. However to be clear, my main concern is spending the money and time now to qualify in 2023, only to find out the new qualification requirement for 1K in 2024 is $20,000 or more in PQP, and I will end up losing it anyway. Not knowing where the program is headed is one of the key inputs to my decision making.
Old Aug 26, 2022, 4:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by bocastephen
That's where I am with my analysis - as a lifetime member, I can share my status with a spouse, so we're basically getting 1K for two with my status, but I'm trying to figure out what I'm losing, aside from bragging rights:

1. pre-boarding - so I board with Group 1 and get on the airplane 3 minutes later
2. free snack when flying coach - I'll live
3. priority for upgrades - that never clear
4. my meal choice when flying in first - again, not the end of the world
5. losing access to the 1K phone desk - this could be an issue, but then again if my travel is infrequent, it won't be the end of the world

The only thing I can quantify is losing the free award change/redeposit option, so I need to be more careful with my award bookings, especially as I will be doing more of those if I decide to stop pursuing any form of future qualification.

Bottom line, it seems there isn't much of a differentiation between Gold-Platinum-1K unless I'm missing something significant. However to be clear, my main concern is spending the money and time now to qualify in 2023, only to find out the new qualification requirement for 1K in 2024 is $20,000 or more in PQP, and I will end up losing it anyway. Not knowing where the program is headed is one of the key inputs to my decision making.
Pluspoints?
Old Aug 26, 2022, 4:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Blessing in disguise. Be a free agent, and fly the carrier you want to fly with instead of chasing status.
cerberus435 and sgtbalski like this.
Old Aug 26, 2022, 5:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K
I likely will be ~3k PQP short of 1K this year. I've had some success with pluspoints, I've enjoyed the 1k line (although had my share of HUCAs), and snacked on a few free boxes, so it will be somewhat sad dropping down to platinum. Life goes on... I have a busy travel schedule (but significantly less asia travel, hence not requalifying) and am not in a rush to add more things.
Old Aug 26, 2022, 5:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by VWang1111
Pluspoints?
I’ve been unable to use them, those upgrades never clear even with the points
Markie and uanj like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.