Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Confirmed United award became waitlisted. Need help.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Confirmed United award became waitlisted. Need help.

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2022, 12:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: WN A-list., Marriott Plat, National EX, UA Silver
Unhappy Confirmed United award became waitlisted. Need help.

I booked an award flight with my United miles from DPS-BKK-TPE-SFO in business. The first segment is on Thai and the second two segments are on EVA.

I discovered recently that the EVA segments are now showing “waitlisted” and confirmed with chat agent. I did not get any email notice that this had happened. When I made the booking online I was showing award space and there was no mention of a waitlist. I have an email confirmation that proves this and I also confirm the award space existed on expertflyer. I am shocked to find out that apparently a confirmed booking later be come waitlisted.

I need to figure what can be done to fix it and any help is greatly appreciated. I searched online but could only find this reddit post about a similar case.

https://www.reddit.com/r/awardtravel...ed_mileageplus
Old Aug 11, 2022, 12:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flyguy6
I am shocked to find out that apparently a confirmed booking later be come waitlisted.
Did you get an email with a ticket number? You should receive two emails -- the first, that shows your reservation, does not mean that your flight has been confirmed. The partner airlines have 24 hours to confirm your reservation; if they no longer have space, the flight cannot be ticketed.

I need to figure what can be done to fix it and any help is greatly appreciated. I searched online but could only find this reddit post about a similar case.
Assuming that you did get a ticket, UA has two options: give you a full refund, or get you to your destination. UA can open award space on its own flights, but not on partners. Do an award search on the day you'd like to travel, from DPS to SIN, and see what shows up in business class, ignoring the number of miles required. You should be able to change to any of those options at no charge. You could also potentially drop a problematic segment, so if only DPS-BKK is a problem, you could just drop that and start from BKK.

If SQ is still flying DPS-SIN, then DPS-SIN-SFO is likely a possibility, with DPS-SIN on SQ and SIN-SFO on UA.
uanj likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2022, 1:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: WN A-list., Marriott Plat, National EX, UA Silver
Originally Posted by jsloan
Did you get an email with a ticket number? You should receive two emails -- the first, that shows your reservation, does not mean that your flight has been confirmed. The partner airlines have 24 hours to confirm your reservation; if they no longer have space, the flight cannot be ticketed.

Assuming that you did get a ticket, UA has two options: give you a full refund, or get you to your destination. UA can open award space on its own flights, but not on partners. Do an award search on the day you'd like to travel, from DPS to SIN, and see what shows up in business class, ignoring the number of miles required. You should be able to change to any of those options at no charge. You could also potentially drop a problematic segment, so if only DPS-BKK is a problem, you could just drop that and start from BKK.

If SQ is still flying DPS-SIN, then DPS-SIN-SFO is likely a possibility, with DPS-SIN on SQ and SIN-SFO on UA.
Thanks for the fast reply. I got an email shortly after book with an eTicket number for each passenger. I was also able to select my EVA flight seat online.

Okay thanks for the tips. I'm on the phone with United trying to work it out now. Will update how it turns out.
jsloan likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2022, 1:27 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
This waitlisting can occur if the original booking was never confirmed (no e-ticket) but it can also be when the partner makes a schedule change (however minor, even a flight number change). So ask about both.
jsloan likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2022, 1:29 am

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
Thanks for the fast reply. I got an email shortly after book with an eTicket number for each passenger. I was also able to select my EVA flight seat online.

Okay thanks for the tips. I'm on the phone with United trying to work it out now. Will update how it turns out.
BR has been kind of crazy during the pandemic, canceling and rescheduling flights all the time. Good to hear you were actually ticketed, UA and BR should be able to do something for you.
Old Aug 11, 2022, 8:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
This waitlisting can occur if the original booking was never confirmed (no e-ticket) but it can also be when the partner makes a schedule change (however minor, even a flight number change). So ask about both.
Yes, post-ticketing, the "waitlisted" notation usually reflects some kind of schedule change.

Hopefully, it's just an issue of reissuing the tickets. If there's no award availability on the "new" BR flights, the only remedy may be to rebook on UA metal (which is of course impossible from BKK).
Originally Posted by uanj
UA and BR should be able to do something for you.
I doubt that BR will do anything. UA won't even make an effort to have its JV partners open award space in this situation, let alone a second-tier partner like BR.
jsloan likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.