Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA cutting 50 daily flights from EWR during summer 2022

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA cutting 50 daily flights from EWR during summer 2022

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2022, 4:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by emcampbe
EDIT: now I’ve checked the schedule, and indeed looks like this is where some - maybe a lot of - the cuts are. Looking at June 30, there are 9 EWR-YYZ flights for sale (all E75) - July 1st, there are just 3, though only available in F now - presumably this is due to having to move everyone to 1/3 of the capacity left. I checked random other days - I see one day with a 4th flight, and then the week after Labor Day, back to 9. So that’s like 10% of cuts right there (and also, not technically domestic, so there’s that too).
YYZ sure seems to be taking a hit - my flight in late July which was empty yesterday, only has B fares for sale now, and the seat map filled up;
Old Jun 24, 2022, 4:49 pm

Programs: MileagePlus-Premier Silver, Marriott Bonvoy-Silver Elite
Originally Posted by Fluhalp
It seems like 8 daily EWR-MCO flights this summer. But it's not exactly high season for the route!
Really? Did people (in NYC area alone) stop going to Disney all of a sudden?
SPN Lifer and wrp96 like this.
Old Jun 24, 2022, 5:27 pm

Programs: UA1K2MM ACMME50 SQPPS HHDiamond Marriott Lifetime Titanium
YYZ-EWR from 2 July onwards

On 2 July 2 morning flights.& 1 evening flight 7:10PM. All late morning flights and afternoon flights gone.
On 2 July yesterday 6:30AM flight had only D Class 3 seats. This morning W& Z.
AC upgrade their equipment to 737 Max 2 July 4:10PM. YYZ-EWR.
And 3 July onwards AC A220-300 4:10PM flight YYZ-EWR
3 July 2 morning & 1 afternoon only.
5 July 1 flight only. 4:10PM .
6 July only 2 early morning flights.
I did not check other days in July. Judging from above sample YYZ-EWR more than 10% reduction in July. 50% & some days 90% in July
Old Jun 25, 2022, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
UA is cutting down BOS-EWR but maintains PHL-EWR. Not sure this makes sense ...
Old Jun 25, 2022, 9:32 am

Programs: UA, Marriott
My EWR-LHR 6pm flight I’m taking on 7/13 just got changed to 9pm…
Old Jun 25, 2022, 9:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by cfischer
That's because you don't have all the data United has.
SPN Lifer and Xyzzy like this.
Old Jun 25, 2022, 1:05 pm

Programs: UA Gold; AA; Amtrak Select Plus;HH Diamond;Hyatt Disc;Hertz PC; Total Wine Grand Reserve!
Originally Posted by cfischer
that's because they stupidly cut PHL-IAD when they started up the PHL-EWR, so if that route was cut, you would get a "sorry you can't get there from here" error message when trying to book a lot of flights out of PHL. I see there are still BOS-IAD flights.
MatthewLAX and ezefllying like this.
Old Jun 25, 2022, 1:47 pm

Programs: UA/*A Gold, Global Entry, Marriott Plat, Hilton+IHG Gold, Hertz PC, DL
Originally Posted by ezefllying
Now, I wish United would bring back its relationship with Amtrak and convince them to stop a couple Acelas right at EWR station. As it stands, regional Amtrak trains stop there, but the Acela only stops at Newark (city). And I don't think you can book a United ticket with an Amtrak segment from DC. I would strongly consider booking a UA ticket from Union Station to EWR to a long-haul destination if the first leg were Acela.
it’s even worse than that. on any given day, only about half of northeast regional trains stop at EWR.

living near new haven, i’d utilize UA/EWR much more if amtrak had more frequencies to EWR. the way it is now, the earliest flight i could make (via a one-seat train trip from NHV) is an 11:30am. because i primarily fly transcons, that’s a non-starter. UA also stopped flying BDL-EWR pre-covid.

i live closer to NYC than BOS, but i end up flying out of BOS much more than NYC just because of amtrak’s schedule.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jun 25, 2022, 2:16 pm

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by ijgordon
I believe that the vast majority of traffic between NYC and DC *is* on Amtrak now. Presumably much of the air traffic is connecting past EWR, likely internationally especially when you can't get there nonstop from IAD.
Agree. What I've heard is Amtrak has greater than 50% of the air/rail market between DC and NYC.
Old Jun 25, 2022, 3:08 pm

Programs: United
Originally Posted by Weatherboy
This change should help drive EWR airfares sky high.
Good news is the higher fares will insure we all get our status.
Old Jun 25, 2022, 6:28 pm

It’s been a couple of years but assume UA would still rebook during IRROPS IAD/DCA-EWR on Amtrak. I’ve done it to keep my connection.
Old Sep 1, 2022, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Curious if anyone has heard about any more reductions of EWR schedules?

I am looking for some flights Mid-September and seems CVG<->EWR is down to 2 flights a day. Used to be ~4 pretty consistently.
Old Sep 1, 2022, 3:44 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by goodeats21
Curious if anyone has heard about any more reductions of EWR schedules?

I am looking for some flights Mid-September and seems CVG<->EWR is down to 2 flights a day. Used to be ~4 pretty consistently.
Cannot answer your question.
But I think that UA should cut down the unnecessary 10+ (18 for today) frequencies of EWR-DCA-EWR (all on CR550) to save the slots at EWR. I checked the seat maps on this Monday, it was half empty for most of the flights.
Old Sep 1, 2022, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by Kmxu
But I think that UA should cut down the unnecessary 10+ (18 for today) frequencies of EWR-DCA-EWR (all on CR550) to save the slots at EWR. I checked the seat maps on this Monday, it was half empty for most of the flights.
They're to save slots at DCA.

David
SPN Lifer and MatthewLAX like this.
Old Sep 1, 2022, 4:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by Kmxu
I have been flying on this route quite a bit the past few months...upgraded every single time days ahead of departure. Same with Delta.

AA, on the other hand, normally being flown on the baby bus (A319) with a lot more seats but less seats up front, tough upgrade to score.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.