Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA cutting 50 daily flights from EWR during summer 2022

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2022, 6:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC

Just saw it come across the screen on Bloomberg - United will be axing 50 flights (equivalent of 12% daily departures) due to congestion at EWR. Wonder if that’s the real issue or a staffing shortage. Nonetheless, that’s a pretty big trim during peak travel season…
Old Jun 23, 2022, 7:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
It's related to quite a few things: N90 (an air traffic control route in NY airspace) staffing issues, UA ground crew staffing issues and likely UA cabin (pilot and FA) staffing issues, among many others.

-RM
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jun 23, 2022, 10:10 am

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
This change should help drive EWR airfares sky high.
jp12687 likes this.
Old Jun 23, 2022, 10:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
I hope they announce (quickly) which flights are being cancelled so we can plan accordingly.
Old Jun 23, 2022, 10:20 am

Has anyone heard anything, whether from the media or from your own flights, on which flights are affected? I haven't heard anything but only have a few flights for July.
Old Jun 23, 2022, 10:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Have the canceled flight been entered into the system?
Old Jun 23, 2022, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by milepig
Have the canceled flight been entered into the system?
Schedule changes are usually loaded over the weekend, so I suspect not yet. The news release said the reductions will be begin starting July 1st. DL announced about a month ago they were cutting about 100 flights/day from their July and August schedules due to staffing issues (they've loaded the reductions over the last few weekend schedule updates).
Old Jun 23, 2022, 10:49 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Expect changes to be pushed in this weekend's schedule update, if not sooner.

Candidates include short-haul, high frequency UAX operations, as well as (hopefully) some frequency consolidation with 777s. Selfishly, I wish UA would fly more widebodies on EWR-DEN (just one 789 frequency) instead of a 739 shuttle.
Old Jun 23, 2022, 11:09 am

Programs: MileagePlus-Premier Silver, Marriott Bonvoy-Silver Elite
Hopefully the 08:30 EWR-LHR flight will not be touched
Just for those of you who want to avoid the evening thunderstorms and traffic jam.
L1011UL likes this.
Old Jun 23, 2022, 11:14 am

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
I’m guessing the 50 flights will be decided each day - based on loads - or how they can most effectively make their point about EWR - I’d watch the DCA flights closely lol…..
Old Jun 23, 2022, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
I’m guessing the 50 flights will be decided each day - based on loads - or how they can most effectively make their point about EWR - I’d watch the DCA flights closely lol…..
No. They want them removed from the schedule in advance so that they don't count against their completion statistics. They'll be pushed through in this weekend's update.

Regarding EWR-LHR; I read a statement (sorry, don't have the link) that said it was domestic operations only, and also that no routes were being dropped entirely. So it's just a frequency cut. (This might explain the zeroed-out LAX-EWR thread).
Old Jun 23, 2022, 11:29 am

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
I don't think this makes any sense at all???
Old Jun 23, 2022, 11:32 am

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by physioprof
I don't think this makes any sense at all???
Well if you keep complaining to the government that there are too many planes landing and taking off every day from Newark - and your competition keeps adding flights and there is nothing you can do about it - how would you best make your point and preserve revenue? I don’t think UA cares about statistics at all - just revenue….
ContinentalFan likes this.
Old Jun 23, 2022, 11:42 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by jsloan
No. They want them removed from the schedule in advance so that they don't count against their completion statistics. They'll be pushed through in this weekend's update.

Regarding EWR-LHR; I read a statement (sorry, don't have the link) that said it was domestic operations only, and also that no routes were being dropped entirely. So it's just a frequency cut. (This might explain the zeroed-out LAX-EWR thread).
TATL has been absolutely gangbusters for UA this year. No chance any are taken off the schedule for this move, and you're right, the cuts will be domestic only.

Most likely on the chopping block are afternoon/evening UAX frequencies within 500 or so miles of EWR, especially where there are multiple flights after 6pm. E.g., 5x DCA-EWR flights schedule to arrive between 6-9pm. I would expect that number to go down.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jun 23, 2022, 11:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by EWR764
Expect changes to be pushed in this weekend's schedule update, if not sooner.
Sounds like sooner. According to the schedule change thread, many changes went in last night.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.