Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA cutting 50 daily flights from EWR during summer 2022

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA cutting 50 daily flights from EWR during summer 2022

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2022, 9:58 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Priority Club Gold, Choice Privileges Gold
Originally Posted by EWR764
If anything, UA might go back to CLE-DCA to park a few slots, or add a few more IAH/ORD frequencies. But an EWR-DCA CR5 shuttle is likely the lowest-cost use of those slots in a market where UA has some pricing power. Going head-to-head against incumbents AA, WN or B6 in each of those markets is likely to yield worse financial results than a chronically-delayed EWR service. I am curious if there is still any sort of slot waiver in place at DCA?
July 1st is next week so it is too late to launch any completely new routes. The domestic slot waivers ended in November, so slots must be used.
Old Jun 23, 2022, 11:25 pm

Originally Posted by Ron50
My flight change was apparently uploaded into the system already. When I saw the news story I checked my flights. I was traveling next month LHR-EWR-TPA.

The EWR-TPA leg was canceled and I was rebooked to LHR-ORD-TPA with a 2 hr layover at ORD so it will be tight.

No notification from United.

mine as well… I think these reductions have already been in progress for a few weeks. At least two if not three EWR -MCO flights were removed a few weeks ago, resulting in my seventh, and most significant, schedule change since purchasing back in Feb. Actually, that’s not true - losing my nonstop HNL-EWR flight was the worst change… ☹️

As usual, I had to closely monitor inventory and pounce as soon as seats opened up on the most desirable of the remaining options.
Old Jun 23, 2022, 11:57 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus 2MM
It seems like 8 daily EWR-MCO flights this summer. But it's not exactly high season for the route!
Old Jun 24, 2022, 1:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by HkCaGu
Looks like "Newark" (EWR-C) is already having a gate crunch, so consolidating DCA-"Elizabeth" (EWR-A) CRJ550 shuttles to become DCA-"Newark" with bigger planes may not be workable.
also, didn’t UA make a big deal about this like a year ago, going to much higher frequency, mostly (or all?) CR5 flights?

surprised no one has brought up that not too old thread about going 10x on EWR-YYZ, with many seemingly relatively empty, and well more than pre-pandemic numbers (I think it was more like 5, maybe 6 UAX). Have not checked the schedule, but suspect this would be a pretty easy cut to make.

EDIT: now I’ve checked the schedule, and indeed looks like this is where some - maybe a lot of - the cuts are. Looking at June 30, there are 9 EWR-YYZ flights for sale (all E75) - July 1st, there are just 3, though only available in F now - presumably this is due to having to move everyone to 1/3 of the capacity left. I checked random other days - I see one day with a 4th flight, and then the week after Labor Day, back to 9. So that’s like 10% of cuts right there (and also, not technically domestic, so there’s that too).

Last edited by emcampbe; Jun 24, 2022 at 8:35 am
Old Jun 24, 2022, 4:22 am

Originally Posted by ezefllying
I don't know anyone who would fly DCA-EWR point-to-point. I think United thought they could turn it into a shuttle, perhaps given EWR's geographic proximity to Wall Street. But, from what I've seen, the flight is full of connecting passengers.

Now, I wish United would bring back its relationship with Amtrak and convince them to stop a couple Acelas right at EWR station. As it stands, regional Amtrak trains stop there, but the Acela only stops at Newark (city). And I don't think you can book a United ticket with an Amtrak segment from DC. I would strongly consider booking a UA ticket from Union Station to EWR to a long-haul destination if the first leg were Acela.
100% agree. By the time I get to the airport (traffic), security, delayed flight, etc) I could almost be in DC by train and be in the heart of DC.

I wish you could easily partner with Amtrak and UAL. Oversees you can often even check your bags at the train station or they have a city based bay drop you can do prior to the flight…

inwish the US wasn’t so anti rail.
Old Jun 24, 2022, 8:05 am

Programs: Days of Our Lives, General Hospital
Originally Posted by EWR764
an EWR-DCA CR5 shuttle is likely the lowest-cost use of those slots in a market where UA has some pricing power.
In another forum, we digressed into UA's use of the CR-550 on EWR-ITH (the original topic was AA's discontinuance of service at ITH). It did not seem that ITH would have sufficient demand for premium seats. OTOH, I can well imagine that DCA would have a market for both premium seats and high frequency.
Old Jun 24, 2022, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by kochleffel
In another forum, we digressed into UA's use of the CR-550 on EWR-ITH (the original topic was AA's discontinuance of service at ITH). It did not seem that ITH would have sufficient demand for premium seats. OTOH, I can well imagine that DCA would have a market for both premium seats and high frequency.
Well, UA did pledge, and then followed through, to have 100% of EWR flights with premium cabin. So there’s that. In the past, seems like a route that probably would have done with an E45.

Also, CR5 one of the lowest F seat counts in the fleet (though admittedly, high percentage). Also, not an expert, but with two pretty distinguished private post-secondary schools, I’d suspect there is definitely some, and enough, [paid] premium demand into ITH.
Old Jun 24, 2022, 8:56 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by jp12687
100% agree. By the time I get to the airport (traffic), security, delayed flight, etc) I could almost be in DC by train and be in the heart of DC.

I wish you could easily partner with Amtrak and UAL. Oversees you can often even check your bags at the train station or they have a city based bay drop you can do prior to the flight…

inwish the US wasn’t so anti rail.
The Northeast Corridor is perhaps not the best example to support the notion that the USA is "anti-rail"... Acela basically cooked the Shuttles, which for years printed money on behalf of Eastern, Pan Am, Delta, US Airways... I suppose Trump was an exception but we can let that one slide!

The CO/UA+Amtrak partnership was nice, if a bit obscure. The problem with the arrangement is it was marketing only, so for any tickets sold (e.g. ZFV), UA paid Amtrak a fixed rate regardless of the underlying fare, so in many cases it was an unfavorable arrangement for United. It was also ineffectively-marketed.

Originally Posted by kochleffel
ITH is probably a combination of having some organic local market for EWR, a desire to draw down ZW 50-seaters at IAD (staffing issues) and EWR-ITH being a relatively short, lower-cost route. GoJet with CR5 happens to fly the route because it is the 50-seater contractor at EWR.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Last edited by EWR764; Jun 24, 2022 at 9:07 am
Old Jun 24, 2022, 9:22 am

Programs: Days of Our Lives, General Hospital
Originally Posted by emcampbe
Also, not an expert, but with two pretty distinguished private post-secondary schools, I’d suspect there is definitely some, and enough, [paid] premium demand into ITH.
That came up. Some faculty, because of research, consulting, and speaking engagements, travel quite a lot. While they usually can't get reimbursed for premium cabins, except for some consulting work, those who travel the most would have status for upgrades (or could upgrade on their own dimes, I suppose). Students wouldn't be likely to buy premium cabins, but are only a major part of the load at the start and end of term, and I think that UA sometimes moves up to an E-170 then.

Well, UA did pledge, and then followed through, to have 100% of EWR flights with premium cabin. So there’s that. In the past, seems like a route that probably would have done with an E45.
Yes, or an Air Whiskey CR2. FWIW, I usually fly on DL from ELM, where the service is on a CR9. I would be willing for DL to downgauge to a CR7 for the sake of an additional frequency, which is the way it used to be (unlikely because it would still require two pilots with the same type certification, and pilots are the limiting factor right now).
worldwidetraveler likes this.
Old Jun 24, 2022, 11:15 am

Programs: UA Premier Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite (Lifetime Platinum), HHonors Gold
I had LHR-EWR-SNA scheduled for July 12, and yesterday (6/23) at 1:55pm PT (4:55pm ET) received a notification saying that my EWR-SNA flight has been cancelled, and I was moved to a flight 3 hours later. Fortunately, due to the schedule change, I was able to rebook to LHR-DEN-SNA (which is a much more desirable routing for me, but was $500 more at time of booking) and avoid EWR altogether.
jsloan, EWR764 and DCJoe1 like this.
Old Jun 24, 2022, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by eeebee
I had LHR-EWR-SNA scheduled for July 12, and yesterday (6/23) at 1:55pm PT (4:55pm ET) received a notification saying that my EWR-SNA flight has been cancelled, and I was moved to a flight 3 hours later. Fortunately, due to the schedule change, I was able to rebook to LHR-DEN-SNA (which is a much more desirable routing for me, but was $500 more at time of booking) and avoid EWR altogether.
Most UA flyers would prefer to avoid EWR altogether.

David
Old Jun 24, 2022, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by DELee

David
Sure - but for a great many EWR is O/D.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jun 24, 2022, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by milesmilesmiles
I don’t understand why more passengers don’t take Amtrak Acela trains rather than fly between EWR and DCA. I guess this would not be good for connectors, but otherwise Acela is better experience…..maybe a little longer than flying (if flights are on time) but just less stressful.
I believe that the vast majority of traffic between NYC and DC *is* on Amtrak now. Presumably much of the air traffic is connecting past EWR, likely internationally especially when you can't get there nonstop from IAD.
Old Jun 24, 2022, 12:21 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by DELee
Most UA flyers could careless about their connecting airport -- cheapest, shortest are what most look at

Some FTers may prefer to avoid EWR.
Old Jun 24, 2022, 1:00 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Maybe because nobody wants to go there?
Ahhh com'on give CLE some love..... LOL it is too easy of a target and perhaps will never live down its past.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.