Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

General discussion of UA's inflight service (Domestic / Int値, all cabins) {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 11, 2022, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This us an archive thread, the active thread is General discussion of UA's inflight service (Domestic / International, all cabins)
previous thread: COVID Era UA inflight service changes

Thread is for general discussion of the state of UA in-flight service / catering, comparison to other carriers, past UA offerings and concerns with management decisions.

For a specific post about a recent in-flight food, use the appropriate Let's Eat .... thread.

The current Onboard Service descriptions by UA.com

Long-haul international premium cabin dining
North America, Caribbean and Latin America premium cabin dining
United Economy dining

Since the UA website is extremely vague, I'm looking for a few volunteers to submit data, and I will summarize to complete the wiki. kind regards, phkc070408

Domestic Under 300 Miles

Sample 1
Route? Morning or Afternoon/Evening?
PDB - Yes/No? What was offered?
Bagged Snack? Yes/No
Served Snacked? Yes/No. Hot/Cold. What was offered?

Sample 2
Bagged Snack? Yes/No

Sample 3
Bagged Snack? Yes/No

Sample 4
Bagged Snack? Yes/No

Sample 5
Bagged Snack? Yes/No

Domestic Over 300 Miles Under 800 Miles

Sample 1
Bagged Snack? Yes/No

Sample 2
Bagged Snack? Yes/No

Sample 3
Bagged Snack? Yes/No

Sample 4
Bagged Snack? Yes/No

Sample 5
Bagged Snack? Yes/No

Domestic Over 800 Miles

Sample 1
Route? Morning or Afternoon or Evening?
Meal Served? Yes/No. Short description.
Snack Basket?

Sample 2
Route? Morning or Afternoon or Evening?
Snack Basket?

Sample 3
Route? Morning or Afternoon/Evening/. or Late Evening?
Snack Basket?

Sample 4
Route? Morning or Afternoon/Evening or Late Evening?
Snack Basket?

Sample 5
Route? Morning or Afternoon/Evening or Late Evening?
Snack Basket?

P-Tcon

Sample 1
Route? Morning or Afternoon/Evening or Red-Eye?
Snack Basket/Pre-Arrival?
Any other notes of relevance?

​​​​​​​Sample 2
​​​​​​​Route? Morning or Afternoon/Evening or Red-Eye?

​​​​​​​Sample 3

​​​​​​​Sample 4

​​​​​​​Sample 5

Polaris USA - Europe

​​​​​​​Sample 1
Menu?
Hot Towels?
First Meal Served? Yes/No. Short description.
Appetizer / Desert Info:
Snack Basket/Mid-Flight Snack?
Arrival Meal? Short Description.

​​​​​​​Sample 2
Menu?
​​​​​​​Hot Towels?
Appetizer / Desert Info:

​​​​​​​Sample 3
Menu?
​​​​​​​Hot Towels?
Appetizer / Desert Info:

​​​​​​​Sample 4
Menu?
​​​​​​​Hot Towels?
Appetizer / Desert Info:

​​​​​​​Sample 5
Menu?
​​​​​​​Hot Towels?
Appetizer / Desert Info:

Related thread: How bad does onboard catering need to get before UA invests in improving it?
​​​​​​​

Print Wikipost

General discussion of UA's inflight service (Domestic / Int値, all cabins) {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2022, 3:17 am

Posting photos will maintain a public archive of how bad meals on UA are. Please keep on posting, regardless how bad they are.
These photos have led me not to fly UA premium class any more, after 20 odd years of 1K, when I re-start flying, hopefully real soon.
Old Jul 6, 2022, 3:56 am

Programs: Qantas Platinum One, United 1K 2MM
Hi UA Flyer.

Thanks for the posting. Im flying this Mid August. Using points as I would not pay United Business fares for what they are presenting. All my paid business travel is split between Qantas and Air NZ. So sad to see what Polaris has become. I guess no menus ex Melbourne ? If AA flew direct from Melbourne they would get my hard earned $$.
Old Jul 6, 2022, 6:03 am

Location: New to BWI as of 2021; say hi if you're in the area!
Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
I just took Melbourne to SFO yesterday (14+ hours), and I decided not show the pathetic meal photos.
It was as bad as it gets.

No PDB ( we were an hour late due to late coming flight from SFO), so it was understandable the crew tried to get the plane out to minimize further delay.
Choice of Beef, Chicken and a vegetarian options and I ordered the beef which was a low quality piece of meat that was too difficul to chew. Only half a bowl of salad was served with one of those impossible to open bottle of olive oil/vinaigrette dressing. After struggling to open it, it was too frozen to pour it.

Most of passengers were hungry half way during the 14+hour flight, and we were served Tim Tam and chips. No snackboxes that have been made available on SFO-SIN-SFO flights recently.

Only one breakfast option prior to landing, which was that green square egg based brick (shown earlier this thread). UA was too cheap to include a yorgut .

Does UA management care? I found it ironic and sad, that the biggest news was the return of lemon/lime wedges started July 1, and it even had a blog written about it.
Yikes I'm on this flight in a few weeks.

What's the lounge situation in MEL? Singapore and/or Air New Zealand? Will clearly need to fill up there beforehand.
Old Jul 6, 2022, 6:08 am

Location: New to BWI as of 2021; say hi if you're in the area!
Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
Yes, it is sad that the only thing we have to be excited about is garnishes.

If you did take pictures, feel free to post them here unedited (you make the food look too good) or reach out to me privately. I'm writing up a very critical story on the state of meals on United right now. It has really become beyond pathetic.
In an "avert your eyes" sort of way, I look forward to reading.
Old Jul 6, 2022, 9:18 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
Originally Posted by BrianUA800
Posting photos will maintain a public archive of how bad meals on UA are. Please keep on posting, regardless how bad they are.
These photos have led me not to fly UA premium class any more, after 20 odd years of 1K, when I re-start flying, hopefully real soon.
I've already taken two international flights (AF and KLM) this year and booked two more RTs (AF and BA), but just booked my first international flights on UA.com. Fortunately, knowing what to expect in Polaris on board, I avoided these meals and booked them on Austrian and Brussels. Much cheaper than UA. And I look forward to trying the IAD Polaris lounge on departure. Best of both worlds.
Old Jul 6, 2022, 3:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by UAgeek71
. I understand that the primary reason to fly is to get from A->B safely, and that mechanical issues out of normal control happen. Even so, this was a very poor showing for UA. Thank goodness Arrivals was open for some breakfast.
The primary reason to fly from A to B can be satisfied in economy, but the primary reason to fly business class is for an elevated inflight experience including seat, catering and service. United fails miserably on 2 out of 3 of these and truly seems not to care.
Old Jul 6, 2022, 10:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Yes, it is sad that the only thing we have to be excited about is garnishes.

If you did take pictures, feel free to post them here unedited (you make the food look too good) or reach out to me privately. I'm writing up a very critical story on the state of meals on United right now. It has really become beyond pathetic.
I did not take photos on this particlar flight. I always try to make subject matters look good by observe and address the lighting limitation on board by trying different camera angles, also moving the food items around to make better composition.

On this particular flight, I was so disappointed with what I saw that I just was not in the mood to play around with my camera phone.
I appreciate you will be writing a blog on the state of United on board catering. Many on this board are loyal United flyers and we want United to be competitive, but loyaty does not mean blindly following. Some continue to fly United despite the terrible catering because flight schedules, frequencies, upgrades and others reasons, but United should not take advantage of us by giving us below average meals. My disappointment is that United Management does not seem to be trying. If they have tried, it means there are incompetencies or there is a tone at the top issue that are preventing them to address this glaring deficiency in their product offerings.

Originally Posted by autobahnal
Yikes I'm on this flight in a few weeks.

What's the lounge situation in MEL? Singapore and/or Air New Zealand? Will clearly need to fill up there beforehand.
You can access both ANZ and SQ lounges. ANZ has better coffee and SQ has better food.

ANZ has bigger space. SQ can be crowded.
Old Jul 7, 2022, 8:25 am
HAF

Originally Posted by UA_Flyer

My disappointment is that United Management does not seem to be trying. If they have tried, it means there are incompetencies or there is a tone at the top issue that are preventing them to address this glaring deficiency in their product offerings.

United Management is trying. But the soft product offerings are not a priority to them because these make no difference in people choosing to fly United or not. United's financial results are very healthy. Planes are full. Deficiencies and incompetence in Meals and Service in Polaris Business is simply not impacting United's financial results and as a result it is not a focus area. The only way to fix this is to move our business and loyalty elsewhere. This is the only way to make United Management try to fix Polaris.
Old Jul 7, 2022, 8:37 am

Programs: UA 1MM, MP 1K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Just downgrading myself

Originally Posted by HAF
United Management is trying. But the soft product offerings are not a priority to them because these make no difference in people choosing to fly United or not. United's financial results are very healthy. Planes are full. Deficiencies and incompetence in Meals and Service in Polaris Business is simply not impacting United's financial results and as a result it is not a focus area. The only way to fix this is to move our business and loyalty elsewhere. This is the only way to make United Management try to fix Polaris.
Looking at the differential to book Polaris and the catering situation has me booking Premium Plus or I may even drop to Economy. I can book a luxury hotel and have a fabulous restaurant meal and still have money left over and I can take the trade off of not having a Polaris seat. I'm definitely comparing prices with other airlines and am going to Paris in Delta One later in the month because it was a great price when I booked awhile ago. New experience and will be interesting to compare.
Old Jul 7, 2022, 9:36 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
If someone is willing to pay $13,771 for a UA airline ticket if a cheaper alternative exists with better service than UA - then UA will not relate to the issue. They'd probably shrug and confirm to themselves they are on the right path.

So - Yes UA management is watching that they get full cabins regardless of the garbage meals they serve. So not only they won't change - they will make it worse.
Also, I suspect that they aren't selling that for $14K - that is the rack rate, and they are selling it under a corporate contract at 60%, so collecting $8.4K, and telling the corporate client they saved $5.6K. Whereas, to show one instance, for a work trip and at a company where I manage my own travel (with a budget I am responsible for), the UA flights were all at $8K-$10K for business class and no upgrade space available, so I purchased the RT TATL flight with BA for $2.8K and upgraded both ways at booking (I will not waitlist) with 58K miles. There are a lot of reasons to use corporate travel contracts to manage travel, but I'm not sure reducing costs is one of them unless your employees are wastrels.

I think the poor soft product at a high price at UA reflects this. They have a captive customer base due to corporate contracts, and are not currently very interested in appealing to other customers or competing on price.
restlessinRNO and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Jul 7, 2022, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
Originally Posted by cricketer
Flew MUC-DEN yesterday in Polaris (after a couple of back and forth aircraft switches).
  • Finally had that cauliflower thing everyone seems to hate. Have to admit, when I looked at it, I wondered who had been smoking what. But you know what - it had actual flavour and textures. My plate was clean at the end - I'm all for keeping things interesting.
  • No printed menus
  • Options were - short rib, chicken, fish arrabbiata, and a veggie dish
  • I had the fish - it was a miniscule portion, but is going to be my go-to dish until the Thai chicken makes a comeback. Pretty solid.
  • The veggie dish, which my travel companion had, was an utter disgrace. A coupe of carrots, some dry kale, and mashed potato in a casserole dish. The purser was so aghast that of his own volition he went back to coach and brought up two veggie options (one with baked beans, and a lasagne) as an alternative. He urged us to provide negative feedback and was clearly embarrassed.
  • The ice-cream was a disgusting goopy mess. The chocolate sauce tasted worse than Hershey's, if that's possible. The ice cream was slush.
  • I was offered an egg-custard tart, which turned out to be some kind of a berry tart. Not great.

Quite the contrast from my SFO-IST outbound on TK, whose business class catering, absent the caviar, probably tops many airlines in F. (And I prefer the TK 777 seat for sleeping, but that's for another thread)
Just more confirmation that PP and economy are getting better food than Polaris. Two eco entree meals put together appear to be better than what the main entree is in Polaris. It is too bad that United management appears to be sabotaging the efforts of good FAs. They ivory Willis Tower execs probably don't care as cost-cutting improves their RSUs and bonuses.
Old Jul 7, 2022, 12:18 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Artpen100

They have a captive customer base due to corporate contracts, and are not currently very interested in appealing to other customers or competing on price.
I agree they have little interest in free agent flyers - they don't find them of value.

They have big bets they are competing on captive flyers - route network - hard product/Polaris - and status chasers/lifetime flyers. And they appear to be filling the planes based on that strategy.

For me personally - I go to Vegas at least once a month - sometimes more - I can certainly switch to a far superior soft product on Hawaiian and even a nonstop - but I'd have to pay for F for a less superior seat as opposed to buying economy and getting a near certain upgrade to a lie flat to LAX or SFO - I'll take that tradeoff and bring my own food.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jul 7, 2022, 3:46 pm

In the past few years we have flown Business on TK as we have been going to Europe for a few vacations and we have a family rule that anything over 8 hrs calls for Business. Love their IST lounge and seats.
Our next trip is to Tahiti next year (with a cruise and Sydney return) and UA is the best bet from YYZ. So I hopped on this forum a few weeks ago to check out the meals. I cannot believe what UA is serving for a similar duration and cost as a TK flight. I guess they figure that they can get away with it, but I don't think this short sighted-ness is helping their reputation.
Here's hoping they get their act together.

I'll be watching.
Old Jul 7, 2022, 4:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
I won't post it here, but recently did LAX-IST in J. My oh my what a difference. And guess where my $$$ went (this was a paid J ticket). Enjoyed the Polaris Lounge before the flight so got the best of UA on the ground and the best of TK in the air.

I cannot believe how bad the food has dropped on UA...even under Kirby.

While I won't boycott UA over this, I'm not about to buy a J ticket on UA and shopping now for a trip to S. Africa. Of course UA has the best schedule, but sorry...unless I can upgrade, I'll look elsewhere.
Old Jul 7, 2022, 4:48 pm
HAF

I'll look elsewhere.
I have moved all my international business class travel to other airlines. Even when I use UA miles I avoid UA operated flights unless it is the only option.

I could understand the sad state of meals and service during covid, now that travel has opened up and most other airlines have returned back to pre-covid levels UA has no excuse serving these disgusting and inadequate meals in business class and ignoring feedback and any attempt to improve.

I hope what MatthewLAX is doing is what all of us are doing so we can send a very strong message to UA Management that this situation is not OK

--HAF
MatthewLAX likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.