Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

General discussion of UA's inflight service (Domestic / Int’l, all cabins) {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 11, 2022, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This us an archive thread, the active thread is General discussion of UA's inflight service (Domestic / International, all cabins)
previous thread: COVID Era UA inflight service changes

Thread is for general discussion of the state of UA in-flight service / catering, comparison to other carriers, past UA offerings and concerns with management decisions.

For a specific post about a recent in-flight food, use the appropriate Let's Eat .... thread.

The current Onboard Service descriptions by UA.com

Long-haul international premium cabin dining
North America, Caribbean and Latin America premium cabin dining
United Economy dining

Since the UA website is extremely vague, I'm looking for a few volunteers to submit data, and I will summarize to complete the wiki. kind regards, phkc070408

Domestic Under 300 Miles

Sample 1
Route? Morning or Afternoon/Evening?
PDB - Yes/No? What was offered?
Bagged Snack? Yes/No
Served Snacked? Yes/No. Hot/Cold. What was offered?

Sample 2
Bagged Snack? Yes/No

Sample 3
Bagged Snack? Yes/No

Sample 4
Bagged Snack? Yes/No

Sample 5
Bagged Snack? Yes/No

Domestic Over 300 Miles Under 800 Miles

Sample 1
Bagged Snack? Yes/No

Sample 2
Bagged Snack? Yes/No

Sample 3
Bagged Snack? Yes/No

Sample 4
Bagged Snack? Yes/No

Sample 5
Bagged Snack? Yes/No

Domestic Over 800 Miles

Sample 1
Route? Morning or Afternoon or Evening?
Meal Served? Yes/No. Short description.
Snack Basket?

Sample 2
Route? Morning or Afternoon or Evening?
Snack Basket?

Sample 3
Route? Morning or Afternoon/Evening/. or Late Evening?
Snack Basket?

Sample 4
Route? Morning or Afternoon/Evening or Late Evening?
Snack Basket?

Sample 5
Route? Morning or Afternoon/Evening or Late Evening?
Snack Basket?

P-Tcon

Sample 1
Route? Morning or Afternoon/Evening or Red-Eye?
Snack Basket/Pre-Arrival?
Any other notes of relevance?

​​​​​​​Sample 2
​​​​​​​Route? Morning or Afternoon/Evening or Red-Eye?

​​​​​​​Sample 3

​​​​​​​Sample 4

​​​​​​​Sample 5

Polaris USA - Europe

​​​​​​​Sample 1
Menu?
Hot Towels?
First Meal Served? Yes/No. Short description.
Appetizer / Desert Info:
Snack Basket/Mid-Flight Snack?
Arrival Meal? Short Description.

​​​​​​​Sample 2
Menu?
​​​​​​​Hot Towels?
Appetizer / Desert Info:

​​​​​​​Sample 3
Menu?
​​​​​​​Hot Towels?
Appetizer / Desert Info:

​​​​​​​Sample 4
Menu?
​​​​​​​Hot Towels?
Appetizer / Desert Info:

​​​​​​​Sample 5
Menu?
​​​​​​​Hot Towels?
Appetizer / Desert Info:

Related thread: How bad does onboard catering need to get before UA invests in improving it?
​​​​​​​

Print Wikipost

General discussion of UA's inflight service (Domestic / Int’l, all cabins) {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2022, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by FlytheTail
If years means 2, then yes. But even as recent as 2019, Polaris offered an appetizer, a larger and more premium salad, selection of warm bread, and of course the cheese/sundae/sweet treat options for dessert (the latter of which is apparently slowly coming back).
I was speaking about the main courses (portion, selection, quality - it really hasn't changed in many years) but you're right about the other stuff. Thankfully, that's all coming back (far too slowly). To me, though, the most important thing is UA plating the meals nicely in those large bowls and adding a garnish. Makes such a difference.
Old Apr 26, 2022, 7:27 pm

Programs: United Premier Gold
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
It's really the same food they've had for years. If they would only plate it on all routes that would be a big start. The problem now isn't quantity and isn't always quality; it's just the nasty presentation.

Sorry for being unclear. I was specifically referring to presentation, the use of the same Chobani cups you get in economy etc. The lack of dishware is a bummer. I’ve seen some photos on this forum of sauce etc. smeared all over the dish. Not really the level of presentation expected — nor promised when Polaris became a “thing” when it launched.

Originally Posted by FlytheTail
If years means 2, then yes. But even as recent as 2019, Polaris offered an appetizer, a larger and more premium salad, selection of warm bread, and of course the cheese/sundae/sweet treat options for dessert (the latter of which is apparently slowly coming back).
Apologies for the double post. Can’t delete on mobile. But yes, this is what I was expecting. I last flew Polaris in Dec. 2019. My country of residence prevented non-citizens with legal residency from returning to the country if we left for almost a year in 2020 — so this upcoming trip is my first time on a non-domestic ANA flight since then. Sorry if I sound naïve; it’s not for lack of past experience.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 26, 2022 at 8:16 pm Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member
Old Apr 26, 2022, 8:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
I was speaking about the main courses (portion, selection, quality - it really hasn't changed in many years) but you're right about the other stuff. Thankfully, that's all coming back (far too slowly). To me, though, the most important thing is UA plating the meals nicely in those large bowls and adding a garnish. Makes such a difference.
I will gladly trade presentation. For me, its quality, quantity, presentation.
I'll be happy to take a sundae/petit four slopped on a paper bowl/plate vs a single timtam. Or an appetizer in a plastic tray vs none.
I remember when FA's would scoop ice cream into a bowl. sometimes it would look terrible. Still alot better than a mini biscuit.

But I understand, some easy to do tiny changes that may or may not cost more money can up the perceived value
Old Apr 27, 2022, 5:35 am

Programs: JAL Global Club & oneworld Sapphire, ANA SFC & Star Alliance Gold
Originally Posted by cczzll
I haven't done business on ANA, but will likely try it out if I make it back to the US again this year
I hope you enjoy ANA business as much as I have. My last ANA long haul was in Feb 2020 (ORD-NRT) and was my best international J flight in all my years of TPAC flying (since 1994).
Old Apr 27, 2022, 8:56 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond
Some of these entrees I am seeing in these pictures look no different then a Hungry Man tv dinner. Probabaly costs UA about the same too.
Old Apr 30, 2022, 9:23 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Winkdaddy
Some of these entrees I am seeing in these pictures look no different then a Hungry Man tv dinner. Probabaly costs UA about the same too.
That's unfair to Hungry Man dinners. Those got me through college. The Italian Ragu is inferior to those.
Old Apr 30, 2022, 10:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Winkdaddy
Some of these entrees I am seeing in these pictures look no different then a Hungry Man tv dinner. Probably costs UA about the same too.
The hungry man dinners had larger portion sizes, neater presentation and probably less sodium.

The delta, so to speak, between unacceptable, cheap lazy slop and an industry leading inflight meal service in the premium cabins is really not that wide in terms of cost, or effort. In fact, with a little forward thinking, United could take a clue from the hungry man concept, and redesign the plates to have a porcelain tray that is laid out with sized spaces for cold appetizers and desserts which can be pre-plated in the kitchen facility, then a gap space to fit in a hot plate which is heated in the oven. Then all the FA needs to do is drop the hot plate into the gap space to complete the presentation and deliver it to the customer. With the right design, it would actually look pretty nice and introduce some efficiency into the plating, serving and cleaning process.
Old Apr 30, 2022, 11:54 am

Programs: UA Plat, Hertz PC, Avis PC, Hyatt-ist, SPG/Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by mongobot
… UA1 SFO-SIN

UA's "flagship" route as given the UA1 flight number, one of the longest flights in the system, and the "beef, fish, or pasta" is all plopped down on a tray at once, no appetizer, and dessert is (frankly, sorry excuse for) a cookie that I could get from a vending machine where it's made to be shelf-stable for months. Plus, no hot mid-flight snack on a 16+ hour flight.

Meanwhile, on another carrier in the same alliance, you can "book the cook…," get a printed menu, and get meals in courses (and not on "dog-dish" casseroles) rather than cafeteria-style.

And yet, UA still seems to fill the seats. Even though the aircraft used is only 66% converted and could be swapped for one with fauxlaris. I'd really love to get some insight to what the thought process is at UA HQ. Is the motivation to have this level of soft product minimizing work for FAs so they can staff flights with the bare minimum and appease AFA by reducing the work of those FAs who are on the flight? Is it aggressively minimizing catering cost? Are they aware of what a flight on other *A airlines are like, or do they have no comparison in experience because they are using their employee flight benefits to fill the empty seats and only flying UA?

Come on, UA, you can do so, so much better.
Old Apr 30, 2022, 1:19 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus Premier 1K, Delta SkyMiles Diamond Medallion
Originally Posted by travelingman79
UA's "flagship" route as given the UA1 flight number, one of the longest flights in the system, and the "beef, fish, or pasta" is all plopped down on a tray at once, no appetizer, and dessert is (frankly, sorry excuse for) a cookie that I could get from a vending machine where it's made to be shelf-stable for months. Plus, no hot mid-flight snack on a 16+ hour flight.

Meanwhile, on another carrier in the same alliance, you can "book the cook…," get a printed menu, and get meals in courses (and not on "dog-dish" casseroles) rather than cafeteria-style.

And yet, UA still seems to fill the seats. Even though the aircraft used is only 66% converted and could be swapped for one with fauxlaris. I'd really love to get some insight to what the thought process is at UA HQ. Is the motivation to have this level of soft product minimizing work for FAs so they can staff flights with the bare minimum and appease AFA by reducing the work of those FAs who are on the flight? Is it aggressively minimizing catering cost? Are they aware of what a flight on other *A airlines are like, or do they have no comparison in experience because they are using their employee flight benefits to fill the empty seats and only flying UA?

Come on, UA, you can do so, so much better.
absolutely. Grandma’s cookies are a frito-lay joke !
BRING BACK THE SUNDAES
Old Apr 30, 2022, 1:46 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
So I am of the crowd that says the lie flat seat is what I truly want, and this is so, and did not catch the flight for the food but the food is somewhat important and when after getting off a UA flight to Europe and connecting to a LH flight and know I can look forward to a decent meal on the 2 hour LH flight there is something wrong with the food offerings for a premium product...

Agree with others, United can and should do better.
Old Apr 30, 2022, 2:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by MarkyMarc
Don't forget a Tim-Tam (and I do love them) or Moon Pie a dessert.
If only they would add Yoo-hoo to the catering. That would be a touch of real class.
Old Apr 30, 2022, 4:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by zombietooth
If only they would add Yoo-hoo to the catering. That would be a touch of real class.
Depends on what kind of "Yoo-hoo"...

David
Old Apr 30, 2022, 4:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

We also need to ditch illy. Too premium. Sanka will do.
Old Apr 30, 2022, 4:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Are these nasty cookies also served in economy class in place of ice cream?
Old Apr 30, 2022, 4:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by travelingman79
And yet, UA still seems to fill the seats.

I'd really love to get some insight to what the thought process is at UA HQ.
You answered your own question. They can fill seats, albeit with corporate contracts vs discretionary customers, so there is no incentive to do more than the absolute minimum.

Kirby and his minions only care about their bonuses, and their institutional investor buddies likely flipping the stock around on insider info. They don’t really care about the product, the brand, the reputation or customers - just look at the difference in management focus and attention with the leadership of NH, SQ, LH, QR etc. Companies who unlike United management, don’t claim their airline is the best in the world, they just deliver a consistent product that simply is the best.

Sundaes ain’t gonna save United - only new management with the right focus towards product and away from shareholders, can get the job done.

I recently read a trip report about “Patrizia”. She should be the norm, the standard, the expectation, but instead, she is so much a one of a kind phenomenon, I need to read a report about how amazing she is vs just experiencing her level of service quality on every flight, every day. That’s a bug, not a feature.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.