Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Mileage Plus Branded Credit Card and Checked Baggage Fees {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 11, 2022, 11:44 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is Mileage Plus Branded Credit Card and Checked Baggage Fees

UA site - Free checked bags for eligible United MileagePlus Chase credit cardmembers

First and second checked bags free for MileagePlus® Club and Presidential PlusSM card members

First checked bag free for MileagePlus Explorer cardmembers and cardmembers with certain other Chase credit cards
Terms and conditions
  • The primary Cardmember and one companion traveling on the same reservation are each eligible to receive their applicable standard checked bag(s) free. To receive the applicable standard checked bag(s) free, the primary Cardmember must include their MileagePlus account number in their reservation and use their qualifying United MileagePlus Credit Card from Chase to purchase their ticket(s).
  • The traveler must be a Cardmember at the time of check-in in order to be eligible for free checked bags.
  • One authorized user is eligible to receive the applicable standard checked bag(s) free only if traveling on the same reservation as the primary Cardmember and counted as the one traveling companion eligible for the benefit.
  • Eligible Cardmembers will receive their applicable standard checked bag free on flights operated by United or United Express; codeshare flights are not eligible.
  • Checked bags must meet weight and size restrictions or may be subject to additional fees. Learn more about our baggage policy.
  • Primary Cardmembers are eligible to receive applicable standard checked bag(s) free when they use their miles to book award travel on United-operated flights, as long as they pay for their award ticket taxes and service charges with their qualifying Card and include their MileagePlus account number in their reservation.
  • Primary Cardmembers who are already exempt from checked baggage service charges will not receive additional free checked bags.
    Premier members:
    Club or Presidential Plus Card members who receive two or more free checked bags through their Premier status will not receive additional free checked bags.
    Explorer Cardmembers and Cardmembers with certain other MileagePlus Chase Credit Cards will not receive a free checked bag in addition to the free checked bag(s) awarded through their Premier status.

For additional information on Premier benefits, visit www.united.com/premier.
    International travel:
    Club and Presidential Plus Card members will not get additional free checked bags if there are no first and second checked bag service charges applicable to their international travel itinerary.
    Explorer Cardmembers and Cardmembers with certain other MileagePlus Chase Credit Cards will not get an additional free checked bag if there is no first checked bag service charge applicable to their international travel itinerary.
  • Unpublished fares, such as priceline.com and Hotwire, are not eligible.
  • New United MileagePlus Chase primary credit Cardmembers will be eligible for their applicable free standard checked bag(s) 2 weeks after account opening.
    Offer subject to change without notice. Other restrictions may apply.
FAQs
Can I get both by status benefit and the credit card benefit?
No, the benefits do not stack. The best way to think about it is the first / second bag fees are waived, and you only have one "first" bag. Also addressed in above T&Cs.

If my ticket has a bag allowance doe the card benefit provide additional allowance?
No, the benefits do not stack. The best way to think about it is the first / second bag fees are waived, and if the ticket has no fee, the waiver provides no additional benefit, . Also addressed in above T&Cs

Will I get the checked-bag benefit on an UA issued award ticket if I pay the out-of-pocket costs (tax, TSA fee) with a qualifying Chase UA card?
Yes, assuming you meet the other requirements (cardholder's MP number is on the same PNR, etc.).

Is third bag fee at the original fee or charged at what was the first bag fee?
The higher bag fees are unchanged when first and/or second bag fees are waived.

Do Basic Economy fares change the bag waiver?
No - see Introducing Basic Economy
And MP branded Chase cardholders will be exempt from the BE carry-on & boarding group restrictions

If I am a Chase MP branded cardholder but used a different card to purchase the ticket, will I still get the bag waiver?
No
But some have found if you purchase E+ access with the Chase MP branded card, you will then received the bag waiver

If I cancel the card after booking but before travel, will I still get the waiver?
No, the T&Cs state the card must be active at the time of travel.

How do I get the checked bag fee waiver when checking in with a partner airline, such as a codeshare?
Checked bag fee waiver only applies when checking in with UA. Codeshare/partner airlines will not provide the checked bag waiver benefits based on being a primary cardholder of a Chase MP card.

What if I purchase the UA ticket on a third party site using the Chase MP card?
This is a YMMV situation. It depends on how the 3rd party handles its billings. Reports are the Expedia, Orbitz, Travelocity ... bookings will received the bag allowance waiver at check-in.

What if I forgot to use the Chase MP card for the original purchase?
Certain additional items, such as E+ access seem to trigger the bag waiver.
Recent reports suggest this no longer works.

I have a new Chase MP card, how can I tell UA knows this?
This takes a week or two to be fully acknowledged in the system

Go to https://www.united.com/en/us/account
At the top look for "Mileage Balance" and just below that "Exp. xx/xx/xxxx" with a "?" in a circle. Click on the "?".
A popup should mention the being a MileagePlus CC holder and your miles will not expire. This signifies the MP account and CC have been properly linked.

Print Wikipost

Mileage Plus Branded Credit Card and Checked Baggage Fees {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2013, 6:40 am

If I am the primary card holder, but my spouse has a card as well, can he travel alone and have a checked bag for free as well?
Old Mar 28, 2013, 10:06 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, Global Entry, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by BlueCat1105
If I am the primary card holder, but my spouse has a card as well, can he travel alone and have a checked bag for free as well?
If he used his card to pay for the ticket.

Originally Posted by cslovacek
No, you don't have to use the card to book the flight to get the free bag. As long as the credit card is associated with your frequent flier number, you are good to go.
That has not been my experience. I was refused a free bag check from IAD-BOS a few months ago because I did not buy the ticket with my United card (I just forgot about doing so). My card is associated with my FF number. Problem was solved when I moved over to the First Class/1K check-in line with my 1K husband (not traveling with me) and a sympathetic agent checked my bag for free.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Mar 28, 2013 at 10:20 am Reason: merge
Old Mar 28, 2013, 10:19 am

Originally Posted by lost*in*cyberspace
That has not been my experience. I was refused a free bag check from IAD-BOS a few months ago because I did not buy the ticket with my United card (I just forgot about doing so). My card is associated with my FF number. Problem was solved when I moved over to the First Class/1K check-in line with my 1K husband (not traveling with me) and a sympathetic agent checked my bag for free.
I tried asking around as much as I could and it looks like they are getting a little more strict with the baggage waivers - now making sure people are using the united card.
Old Mar 28, 2013, 11:44 am
21A

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.2.2; en-us; Galaxy Nexus Build/JDQ39) AppleWebKit/534.30 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/534.30)

Originally Posted by anilyst
Originally Posted by wazzuFreddo
I only had one time where the Explorer card didn't cover my bag out of about 5 or 6 times buying tickets with my company cc.

And the one time it didn't work, I just showed the check in agent my Explorer card and they zeroed out the bag charge.
What if you have the A3 FFP number instead of the UA MP number on the ticket ? I have both Explorer and Club card and am wondering if the bag fee will be waived off.
Use your MP number at checkin so the bag is free, then change to your A3 number before boarding. You have to do this using "edit passenger details" on the website; the kiosk won't let you change FQTV if you are an elite.
Old Mar 28, 2013, 4:19 pm

Originally Posted by lost*in*cyberspace
If he used his card to pay for the ticket.
Because this was asked on the AA cc board and answered differently, I'm going to use the wording used there in case I wasn't being clear in my question.

Does the priority boarding + checked bag waiver apply to a joint cardmember when the primary is not traveling?

IF the UA cc allows the joint cardmember to use their card and get a checked bag, I may just go with their card over the AA Citi one.
Old Mar 28, 2013, 7:55 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
If a single card account, only the primary cardholder (& companion) is eligible. If the primary is not traveling, then no one gets the benefit.

Does the priority boarding + checked bag waiver apply to a joint cardmember when the primary is not traveling? ...
no

Primary cardmembers and one companion on the same reservation can each check their first bag free on United-operated flights when purchasing tickets with their Explorer Card.
Old Mar 28, 2013, 8:06 pm

Programs: Hilton Plastic, Delta Silver Emeritus
Data point: My reservation showed one free bag. I applied for the Club card. Now the same reservation shows 2 free bags. Just having the card and not the credit card with which you paid seems to be the practical if not the official policy.
Old Mar 30, 2013, 7:47 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanuim/Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Gold, United Silver
Baggage Fees with United Explorer Card

I have the United Explorer Card and just purchased a ticket using a different credit card. On the receipt it shows First Bag $0, but underneath is a sentence that says the ticket must be paid for using a Mileage Plus Explorer Card.
Old Mar 30, 2013, 7:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Rewards - LTPP
not true, you can just show the card at the airport if it tries to charge you.
Old Mar 30, 2013, 8:08 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanuim/Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Gold, United Silver
I just bought a ticket on the United web site and used a Visa- not my United Explorer Card to buy the tickets. On the last page under Checking Bags for this Itinerary it has the $25 baggage fee crossed out and shows $0. However under that there is a sentence that says" MileagePlus Explorer Card members and one companion on the same reservation are each eligible for waiver of the service charge for the first checked bag. Must be a Mileage Plus Explorer Card member at time of check in and tickets must have been purchased using the card in order to qualify."

So wondering which is it.
Old Mar 30, 2013, 8:35 pm

Programs: American, SWA, United, IHG,Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by holocker
I just bought a ticket on the United web site and used a Visa- not my United Explorer Card to buy the tickets. On the last page under Checking Bags for this Itinerary it has the $25 baggage fee crossed out and shows $0. However under that there is a sentence that says" MileagePlus Explorer Card members and one companion on the same reservation are each eligible for waiver of the service charge for the first checked bag. Must be a Mileage Plus Explorer Card member at time of check in and tickets must have been purchased using the card in order to qualify."

So wondering which is it.
Until united and chase figures out how to track it it'll be free checked luggage with any card purchased. But I'm sure they're working on this as we speak. So don't be surprised if it shows $25 in the future.
Old Mar 30, 2013, 9:28 pm

Originally Posted by RedElmo
Until united and chase figures out how to track it it'll be free checked luggage with any card purchased. But I'm sure they're working on this as we speak. So don't be surprised if it shows $25 in the future.
+1. I've been reading tons of threads/posts about the baggage fee waivers and the different cards used to purchase the air tickets. Bottom line from what I read: the later the posts have been on FT, the more it seems as people are having a harder time getting free checked bags if not purchased with the Explorer card. You go back to the 2012 threads, and pretty much everyone had baggage fee waived when purchased using a non Explorer card.
Old Mar 30, 2013, 9:57 pm

Programs: American, SWA, United, IHG,Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
Ya I have a upcoming trip myself which wasn't purchased on the Explorer CC hoping they don't update their system anytime soon to cause me to lose $50. Only reason why I paid the $95 renewal fee this year. Since that basically made it $45 with the two free luggage.

Don't know why they require it to be purchased on the card. AA doesn't have that requirement.
Old Mar 30, 2013, 10:31 pm

Originally Posted by RedElmo
Ya I have a upcoming trip myself which wasn't purchased on the Explorer CC hoping they don't update their system anytime soon to cause me to lose $50. Only reason why I paid the $95 renewal fee this year. Since that basically made it $45 with the two free luggage.

Don't know why they require it to be purchased on the card. AA doesn't have that requirement.
I'm gonna end up applying for the card regardless. For my spending, I did the math and using the Explorer card for booked air tickets with free baggage still lets me earn much more than using some other card (like my CSP 3x pts or Freedom 5x on travel quarters) for air travel without free baggage.

Let us know the outcome!
Old Mar 30, 2013, 11:02 pm

If a free bag is very important and the person in question isn't at a Premier level, why don't they simply either credit their miles to Aegean airlines to reach Star Alliance Silver (free bag) in 4,000 miles (even a mileage run is worth it given status lasts three years) or if they fly infrequent enough, get an AMEX platinum card and use the $200 airline credit for the bags on the flight?

To be honest, this is one point where the Delta co-branded card would be better, since the allowances are available regardless of ticket purchase medium. I wish Chase/UA would allow the same, since it would increase interest in having the card gining more annual fees at a minimum and likely drive some additional business to UA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.