Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Mileage Plus Branded Credit Card and Checked Baggage Fees {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 11, 2022, 11:44 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is Mileage Plus Branded Credit Card and Checked Baggage Fees

UA site - Free checked bags for eligible United MileagePlus Chase credit cardmembers

First and second checked bags free for MileagePlus® Club and Presidential PlusSM card members

First checked bag free for MileagePlus Explorer cardmembers and cardmembers with certain other Chase credit cards
Terms and conditions
  • The primary Cardmember and one companion traveling on the same reservation are each eligible to receive their applicable standard checked bag(s) free. To receive the applicable standard checked bag(s) free, the primary Cardmember must include their MileagePlus account number in their reservation and use their qualifying United MileagePlus Credit Card from Chase to purchase their ticket(s).
  • The traveler must be a Cardmember at the time of check-in in order to be eligible for free checked bags.
  • One authorized user is eligible to receive the applicable standard checked bag(s) free only if traveling on the same reservation as the primary Cardmember and counted as the one traveling companion eligible for the benefit.
  • Eligible Cardmembers will receive their applicable standard checked bag free on flights operated by United or United Express; codeshare flights are not eligible.
  • Checked bags must meet weight and size restrictions or may be subject to additional fees. Learn more about our baggage policy.
  • Primary Cardmembers are eligible to receive applicable standard checked bag(s) free when they use their miles to book award travel on United-operated flights, as long as they pay for their award ticket taxes and service charges with their qualifying Card and include their MileagePlus account number in their reservation.
  • Primary Cardmembers who are already exempt from checked baggage service charges will not receive additional free checked bags.
    Premier members:
    Club or Presidential Plus Card members who receive two or more free checked bags through their Premier status will not receive additional free checked bags.
    Explorer Cardmembers and Cardmembers with certain other MileagePlus Chase Credit Cards will not receive a free checked bag in addition to the free checked bag(s) awarded through their Premier status.

For additional information on Premier benefits, visit www.united.com/premier.
    International travel:
    Club and Presidential Plus Card members will not get additional free checked bags if there are no first and second checked bag service charges applicable to their international travel itinerary.
    Explorer Cardmembers and Cardmembers with certain other MileagePlus Chase Credit Cards will not get an additional free checked bag if there is no first checked bag service charge applicable to their international travel itinerary.
  • Unpublished fares, such as priceline.com and Hotwire, are not eligible.
  • New United MileagePlus Chase primary credit Cardmembers will be eligible for their applicable free standard checked bag(s) 2 weeks after account opening.
    Offer subject to change without notice. Other restrictions may apply.
FAQs
Can I get both by status benefit and the credit card benefit?
No, the benefits do not stack. The best way to think about it is the first / second bag fees are waived, and you only have one "first" bag. Also addressed in above T&Cs.

If my ticket has a bag allowance doe the card benefit provide additional allowance?
No, the benefits do not stack. The best way to think about it is the first / second bag fees are waived, and if the ticket has no fee, the waiver provides no additional benefit, . Also addressed in above T&Cs

Will I get the checked-bag benefit on an UA issued award ticket if I pay the out-of-pocket costs (tax, TSA fee) with a qualifying Chase UA card?
Yes, assuming you meet the other requirements (cardholder's MP number is on the same PNR, etc.).

Is third bag fee at the original fee or charged at what was the first bag fee?
The higher bag fees are unchanged when first and/or second bag fees are waived.

Do Basic Economy fares change the bag waiver?
No - see Introducing Basic Economy
And MP branded Chase cardholders will be exempt from the BE carry-on & boarding group restrictions

If I am a Chase MP branded cardholder but used a different card to purchase the ticket, will I still get the bag waiver?
No
But some have found if you purchase E+ access with the Chase MP branded card, you will then received the bag waiver

If I cancel the card after booking but before travel, will I still get the waiver?
No, the T&Cs state the card must be active at the time of travel.

How do I get the checked bag fee waiver when checking in with a partner airline, such as a codeshare?
Checked bag fee waiver only applies when checking in with UA. Codeshare/partner airlines will not provide the checked bag waiver benefits based on being a primary cardholder of a Chase MP card.

What if I purchase the UA ticket on a third party site using the Chase MP card?
This is a YMMV situation. It depends on how the 3rd party handles its billings. Reports are the Expedia, Orbitz, Travelocity ... bookings will received the bag allowance waiver at check-in.

What if I forgot to use the Chase MP card for the original purchase?
Certain additional items, such as E+ access seem to trigger the bag waiver.
Recent reports suggest this no longer works.

I have a new Chase MP card, how can I tell UA knows this?
This takes a week or two to be fully acknowledged in the system

Go to https://www.united.com/en/us/account
At the top look for "Mileage Balance" and just below that "Exp. xx/xx/xxxx" with a "?" in a circle. Click on the "?".
A popup should mention the being a MileagePlus CC holder and your miles will not expire. This signifies the MP account and CC have been properly linked.

Print Wikipost

Mileage Plus Branded Credit Card and Checked Baggage Fees {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2013, 11:50 pm

Originally Posted by Greysword
If a free bag is very important and the person in question isn't at a Premier level, why don't they simply either credit their miles to Aegean airlines to reach Star Alliance Silver (free bag) in 4,000 miles (even a mileage run is worth it given status lasts three years) or if they fly infrequent enough, get an AMEX platinum card and use the $200 airline credit for the bags on the flight?

To be honest, this is one point where the Delta co-branded card would be better, since the allowances are available regardless of ticket purchase medium. I wish Chase/UA would allow the same, since it would increase interest in having the card gining more annual fees at a minimum and likely drive some additional business to UA.
Woah, why don't we credit our miles to Aegean you say? Because we (noobs & I assume a lot of people) had no idea! If everyone knew about this, wouldn't the Explorer card go out of business?

Anyway, that is excellent. So as long as I credit the miles of at least 1 Star alliance flight to Aegean every 3 years, then i'm always going to be Star Silver? Does Star Alliance Silver give free baggage to companions on same PNR? Thanks for the info!

And yes +1 about the Delta card.
Old Mar 31, 2013, 12:00 am

Programs: American, SWA, United, IHG,Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
What's Aegean!? Havent heard of a star alliance free baggage transfer to other star alliance partners. Please explain more. So 4000 miles in Aegean airline gets me silver? And gets me free luggage for all united airline flights? I just need to fly united and enter in my Aegean airline frequent flyer number instead? Sounds too good to be true.
Old Mar 31, 2013, 12:08 am

Originally Posted by RedElmo
What's Aegean!? Havent heard of a star alliance free baggage transfer to other star alliance partners. Please explain more. So 4000 miles in Aegean airline gets me silver? And gets me free luggage for all united airline flights? I just need to fly united and enter in my Aegean airline frequent flyer number instead? Sounds too good to be true.
It really does sound too good to be true! Sign up for Aegean Airlines now (you already get 1000 miles bonus), then when you fly United (or any Star Alliance airline), credit the miles to your Aegean FF #. When you hit 4000 miles (it looks like if you book econ W, S, T, L, K, G, you only earn half of your flown miles), you get Star Alliance Silver status! Star Alliance Status is status for all Star alliance airlines not just limited to one particular airline. The benefits of Star Alliance Silver is listed on their site but it is kind of unclear. In addition, your Star Alliance Silver Status never expires as long as you have activity (credit miles to Aegean) with Aegean once every three years (someone correct me if i'm wrong).

The only question I have is if my companion on same PNR will have the same allowance as I as Star Alliance Silver (I can't seem to find it on the net). Because if it doesn't, then maybe the Explorer card will still be of more use to me. More reading to do and please post when you can confirm all of this...

Last edited by SuperKirby; Mar 31, 2013 at 12:27 am
Old Mar 31, 2013, 1:57 am

Programs: AA EP | UA 1K
Okay i signed up for this card for the 30k bonus miles, btu then i read the fine print saying if you already have a Mileageplus visa, then you won't get it.

Is this true? i have a MileagePlus Select card from PMUA.... has anyone else gotten the bonus miles despite having an old MP visa?
Old Mar 31, 2013, 8:39 am

Programs: All
Do you need to have used the Explorer card when buy tickets to receive priority boarding? I'm curious because I upgraded from the MP to the MP Explorer Friday and need to purchase tickets Tuesday for a trip vacation in June. Since my Explorer card will not be here in time, I'll be using my Sapphire Preferred card and was thinking that I would use my Explorer card at check in to receive priority boarding.

Originally Posted by Col Ronson
Okay i signed up for this card for the 30k bonus miles, btu then i read the fine print saying if you already have a Mileageplus visa, then you won't get it.

Is this true? i have a MileagePlus Select card from PMUA.... has anyone else gotten the bonus miles despite having an old MP visa?
Hope not, I just upgraded from the old MP Select to the Explorer card.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Mar 31, 2013 at 12:13 pm Reason: merge
Old Mar 31, 2013, 11:21 am

Did more reading on this. A couple of caveats:

1. There is nothing in writing on where you get a free checked bag for your companion (Up to Aegean Airlines, NOT United). In addition, no confirmed stories and experiences on the internet either (and up to you to trust them if there is).

2. To qualify for the free checked bag (singular), you have to enter your Aegean miles each time you book a flight with United. If you want miles on your UA account, you have to first check in (with the Aegean FF#) then change at the gate to your UA FF#. From what I hear, some people had trouble changing their FF # at the gate, while some has not. Some had to call customer service in order to change to UA miles. Whatever the case, you cannot simply change your FF # online.

This is inconvenience to me (biggest catch is the no companion bag), although it can be such a nice FF hack. Anywhoo, hello Explorer Card once again!
Old Mar 31, 2013, 11:30 am

Programs: Hilton Plastic, Delta Silver Emeritus
Originally Posted by Cuttingboard
Do you need to have used the Explorer card when buy tickets to receive priority boarding? I'm curious because I upgraded from the MP to the MP Explorer Friday and need to purchase tickets Tuesday for a trip vacation in June. Since my Explorer card will not be here in time, I'll be using my Sapphire Preferred card and was thinking that I would use my Explorer card at check in to receive priority boarding.
Your boarding pass will print with Group 2 on it regardless of how you paid.
Old Mar 31, 2013, 12:04 pm

Ya Explorer card isn't a bad deal. But only if they didn't have the restriction of must use that card to purchase the tickets. AA and Delta doesn't have that restriction.
Old Mar 31, 2013, 12:33 pm

Ya Explorer card isn't a bad deal. But only if they didn't have the restriction of must use that card to purchase the tickets. AA and Delta doesn't have that restriction.
+1. But really not so bad. (Remember, this card is a steal for someone without status and not looking to gain status). I am high balling the ticket prices and Assuming 1pt/mile:1 cent ratio:

Two domes. RT tickets (w/ companion) with Sapphire Preferred on UR (3x): $2000 = 6000 points = $60 gained.
Baggage fees: $200 - $60 gained = $130 cost of baggage fees for two trips.

Same plane ticket with Explorer (2x) = $40 gained
Same bag checkin w/companion fee: $0 - $40 gained = -$40 cost of baggage fees.

Then one may declare that the $95 AF for Explorer is mainly used for the baggage fee whilst the $95 AF on CSP is for all the other perks/pts/benefits.

Alright so i'll add the fee.

Two RT's with companion baggage fee for MPE card: $0 - $40 gained + $95 AF = $55 cost of baggage fees for Explorer compared to $130 for CSP.

Using the MPE for purchased flight tickets is the better deal given the assumptions: No status w/ no intent to, you would've put your CSP points to MileagePlus anyway, and you usually check in at least 5 bags a year on domestic flights.

This is all said without even mentioning other perks of the MPE card.
Old Mar 31, 2013, 8:31 pm

Originally Posted by SuperKirby
It really does sound too good to be true! Sign up for Aegean Airlines now (you already get 1000 miles bonus), then when you fly United (or any Star Alliance airline), credit the miles to your Aegean FF #. When you hit 4000 miles (it looks like if you book econ W, S, T, L, K, G, you only earn half of your flown miles), you get Star Alliance Silver status! Star Alliance Status is status for all Star alliance airlines not just limited to one particular airline. The benefits of Star Alliance Silver is listed on their site but it is kind of unclear. In addition, your Star Alliance Silver Status never expires as long as you have activity (credit miles to Aegean) with Aegean once every three years (someone correct me if i'm wrong).

The only question I have is if my companion on same PNR will have the same allowance as I as Star Alliance Silver (I can't seem to find it on the net). Because if it doesn't, then maybe the Explorer card will still be of more use to me. More reading to do and please post when you can confirm all of this...
Agreed, no companion bag. However, this option would work well for those that won't hit Premier Silver (<25k miles or 30 segments) but need to fly for business and charge the flight to a company card. May also be ok for some personal travel, too.

For completeness, Star Alliance Silver benefits on UA are (subject to change):

Premier Access benefits

We continually strive to make your travels more convenient when flying on United, Copa Airlines and Copa Airlines Colombia.

From check-in to baggage claim, we provide premium travel services for eligible customers and offer the following where available:

Premier AccessSM check-in: designated airport check-in lines
Premier Access security lane: exclusive security lanes
Premier Access priority boarding: among the first customers to board
Premier Access priority baggage handling: among the first bags to be delivered

Premier Access is available to the following customers:

MileagePlus Premier® members
United First®, United Global FirstSM, United Business® and United BusinessFirst®
Copa Airlines Clase Ejecutiva customers
Star AllianceTM Gold and Silver members
MileagePlus Club and Presidential Plus credit cardmembers

Customers who are not included in one of the groups above may have the option to purchase Premier Access for a particular flight. A Premier Access purchase includes priority check-in, security lane access (where available) and boarding, but it does not include priority baggage handling. Premier Access is not available for purchase on flights operated by Copa Airlines or Copa Airlines Colombia.
In addition, there is one checked bag allowance at 50lbs (Link).

Please note, these are above and beyond the normal Star Alliance benefits, and are much more generous than the same level on US Airways.

IMO, not too bad for semi-infrequent travelers on UA (or other Star Alliance), as this provides the same benefits as a UA Silver except for the upgrades and E+ seating. Also, Star Alliance Gold has some additional sweet spot benefits (like 3 checked bags). Finally, if your family is all traveling a transcon, then each can get Aegean Blue (*Silver) benefits, which could nullify the card's issues.

Please see the sticky threads on the Aegean Miles & Bonus board for more info.
Old Apr 1, 2013, 7:55 am

Programs: All
Originally Posted by highops
Your boarding pass will print with Group 2 on it regardless of how you paid.
Thanks....with the Explorer card, do I receive access to Premiere Access lanes?
Old Apr 1, 2013, 7:58 am

Originally Posted by Cuttingboard
Thanks....with the Explorer card, do I receive access to Premiere Access lanes?
Not through security. Just group 2 boarding
Old Apr 13, 2013, 5:46 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanuim/Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Gold, United Silver
Is the free checked bag given with award tickets as wording said must pay for the ticket with your Chase Explorer Card.

I did do a dummy booking all the way thru with another Chase card and it did show me having to pay the luggage fee even though my FF# associated with my Explorer card was in the reservation.
Old Apr 13, 2013, 9:18 am

A few days ago I received an email stating as a reminder you have to buy your tickets with the united Explorer card in order to receive the free luggage benefit. It looked like it was a mass "promotional" type email and not one that was targeted.

I wonder if their system is getting upgraded soon to detect whether the tickets were purchased with the Explorer card or not before giving the free luggage benefit.
Old Apr 13, 2013, 9:33 am

A few days ago I received an email stating as a reminder you have to buy your tickets with the united Explorer card in order to receive the free luggage benefit. It looked like it was a mass "promotional" type email and not one that was targeted.

I wonder if their system is getting upgraded soon to detect whether the tickets were purchased with the Explorer card or not before giving the free luggage benefit.
Yep. They're implementing hard (at least trying to) since pretty much no one followed this rule last year...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.