Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2022 Let's Eat - Polaris Business

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2022, 6:53 am

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by econ
The Spicy Chicken is sadly becoming a distant memory. Enjoyed that one on several TATL/TPACs.
That was my go to dish - sadly with the change in catering I don’t think it’s ever coming back….
United747 likes this.
Old May 6, 2022, 7:22 am

Programs: MP - 1K, Hyatt - Platt, SPG - Gold
Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
That was my go to dish - sadly with the change in catering I don’t think it’s ever coming back….
Honestly, that chicken was legitimately great. United had something there... and of course they removed it. United Airlines: We're not satisfied until you're not satisfied.
cesco.g, PACLipper, rch4u and 3 others like this.
Old May 6, 2022, 9:31 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by juditha55
Flew SYD - LAX on 19 April and received the infamous Tim Tam for dessert (also no nuts just a packet of pretzels). I asked the FA if Economy had a Tim Tam as well or ice cream. She reported back that economy had a Tim Tam but Premium Plus had an ice cream bucket and brought me one. Yay! A passenger I met in the immigration line had been in Premium Plus and had been given a paddle pop. Would have preferred the paddle pop any day!
Breakfast had no options, just the green salty square and "take it or leave it". Returning on the 22nd LAX to SYD dinner had an ice cream bucket and there were two choices for breakfast.
I received a survey from United after my flight to the USA and "let it rip" with my thoughts on their "dining re-imagined". I had upgraded a cheap economy fare with pluspoints so whilst disappointed with the meals I just feel sick for anyone who paid the enormous price to fly in Business and received such a pathetic offering.
Wait, so did PP have the ice cream cup or the "paddle pop" or both??
I guess LAX-SYD's no dessert was a catering error or a recent cut.
I haven't been getting the survey lately, I just email 1kvoice with the same result
I use PP as well to upgrade, if I were paying, I'd never fly UA

Originally Posted by econ
The Spicy Chicken is sadly becoming a distant memory. Enjoyed that one on several TATL/TPACs.
Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
Originally Posted by nyr2299
Honestly, that chicken was legitimately great. United had something there... and of course they removed it. United Airlines: We're not satisfied until you're not satisfied.
I feel like the domestic "thai chicken" is a similar option:

Note, even in PE, I get a dessert
gioannis13 likes this.
Old May 6, 2022, 11:06 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by juditha55
Flew SYD - LAX on 19 April and received the infamous Tim Tam for dessert (also no nuts just a packet of pretzels). I asked the FA if Economy had a Tim Tam as well or ice cream. She reported back that economy had a Tim Tam but Premium Plus had an ice cream bucket and brought me one. Yay! A passenger I met in the immigration line had been in Premium Plus and had been given a paddle pop. Would have preferred the paddle pop any day!
Breakfast had no options, just the green salty square and "take it or leave it". Returning on the 22nd LAX to SYD dinner had an ice cream bucket and there were two choices for breakfast.
I received a survey from United after my flight to the USA and "let it rip" with my thoughts on their "dining re-imagined". I had upgraded a cheap economy fare with pluspoints so whilst disappointed with the meals I just feel sick for anyone who paid the enormous price to fly in Business and received such a pathetic offering.
Me too on the on the paddle pop! The ice cream desert on that flight in January was mango or something similar which I do not eat. But a paddle pop - now that would be most welcome (due to childhood memories).

Don't eat pretzels and do not take them on domestic flights. The pre-dinner drinks service on United with the warm nuts was also a treasured moment. I would put away my work and relax.

Very with you on the using of PlusPoints vs paying for the current slimlined Polaris experience. Whilst I have PlusPoints I use UA. Have a friend going to Europe for summer and they paid Premium Economy on Lufthansa. My friend has no status and the cost and service was a no brainer. I am a very loyal United/Continental customer of more than 35 years but the devolving into LCC means the prices should reflect this. I do choose LCC for some flights. In fairness Polaris is for the lie flat for me but the deterioration in the food and beverage service may be cost cutting too far.
Old May 6, 2022, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by TomMM
Anybody got a pre-Covid(2019) picture of SYD-LAX meals?
From December 2019:

Full review here (link to my blog)
Old May 6, 2022, 2:43 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.2MM / UC / AS Gold 75K / Bonvoy Plat / Hilton Diamond
LHR-SFO May 2022, 772

Great crew, but the food quality continues to deteriorate across all dimensions - variety, choice, quality, quantity, and presentation. I could add more, but it is repetitive to the rest of this thread. LHR is now catered by Newrest, not Gategroup.

PDB, followed by airborne cocktail and warm nuts. Friendly FA proactively offered a second ramekin of nuts.
White Wine choice was only two Sauvignon Blancs, with one bottle of Nicolas Feuillate champagne that they had to pass between the two aisles until it was done. There were no individual water bottles after those placed at seat due to a miscater.
Entree choices were Beef Tenderloin with mashed potatoes, Paprika Chicken with couscous and stewed apricot (below), or Ravioli with marinara.
Bread was so hard and dry that it cracked and crushed into dust - unusual, and there were no extras loaded, one roll per passenger. Chicken was very, very dry.

Not pictured was pre-arrival meal service, now a Hamburger instead of the trusty Beef Wellington, and the couscous/vegetable plate. Hamburger was not like(tastier) US version - dry hard bun. The Wellington was sorely missed.

The FAs are so over hearing the complaints, and I feel for them - but it is also causing a culture of just giving up. Meal pictured as served.

Old May 7, 2022, 1:59 am

Programs: JAL Global Club & oneworld Sapphire, ANA SFC & Star Alliance Gold
Originally Posted by greenpau
one bottle of Nicolas Feuillate champagne that they had to pass between the two aisles until it was done.

[snip]

no individual water bottles after those placed at seat due to a miscater.

[snip]

one roll per passenger.
Where is the face palm emoji?
Old May 7, 2022, 9:08 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Aeroplan 25k, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold
EWR > BER, May 2022

Sunday, May 1, 2022
UA 962 EWR > BER, 17:40 (5:40pm) EDT departure, Boeing 767-300ER

Pre-departure beverage, OJ/water/champagne proactively offered, in glassware.

After departure, additional beverage service and ramekin of warmed nuts -- I had a chardonnay.

DINNER: Choice of beef, salmon, or cheese ravioli (this last is what I had - very tasty and filling!). Served with a fresh-tasting salad, pretzel roll (room temperature), and ice cream cup for dessert all one one tray. All arrived uncovered.

BREAKFAST: options were quiche with sausage or French toast (I had quiche.) Served with fruit cup, packaged yogurt, croissant. Coffee and OJ as well.

Crew was excellent -- my aisle was served by purser Andrew.
Old May 7, 2022, 10:01 am

Programs: BA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by greenpau
LHR-SFO May 2022, 772

Great crew, but the food quality continues to deteriorate across all dimensions - variety, choice, quality, quantity, and presentation. I could add more, but it is repetitive to the rest of this thread. LHR is now catered by Newrest, not Gategroup.

PDB, followed by airborne cocktail and warm nuts. Friendly FA proactively offered a second ramekin of nuts.
White Wine choice was only two Sauvignon Blancs, with one bottle of Nicolas Feuillate champagne that they had to pass between the two aisles until it was done. There were no individual water bottles after those placed at seat due to a miscater.
Entree choices were Beef Tenderloin with mashed potatoes, Paprika Chicken with couscous and stewed apricot (below), or Ravioli with marinara.
Bread was so hard and dry that it cracked and crushed into dust - unusual, and there were no extras loaded, one roll per passenger. Chicken was very, very dry.

Not pictured was pre-arrival meal service, now a Hamburger instead of the trusty Beef Wellington, and the couscous/vegetable plate. Hamburger was not like(tastier) US version - dry hard bun. The Wellington was sorely missed.

The FAs are so over hearing the complaints, and I feel for them - but it is also causing a culture of just giving up. Meal pictured as served.
That's looks sad, flying LHR-EWR next month so I'm guessing that still has the reduced service too.

Last edited by Acid; May 7, 2022 at 10:07 am Reason: Noticed the dessert cup now
Old May 8, 2022, 4:53 pm

Programs: UA GS, SQ PPS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold
IAD-MUC. Choices were "beef" or "chicken" or "pasta." I passed on all, having had an edible meal in the Polaris Lounge before boarding, but the same miserable new standard from glancing around. No menus to be found, of course, because apparently those are the most significant vectors of Covid on flights where masks are not being enforced. The Glenfarclas remains the sole bright spot in on-board F&B, which means I'm sure it will soon be gone.

I've had enough of this to the point I just booked outside UA for two TPAC trips later this month — UA just lost $21k in revenue over crap F&B.
Old May 8, 2022, 5:13 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by Scifience
No menus to be found, of course, because apparently those are the most significant vectors of Covid on flights where masks are not being enforced.
Nah, just humiliating physical evidence
Scifience, goodeats21 and cczzll like this.
Old May 9, 2022, 6:52 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
Are they still doing the menu in the app on the trial flights? I'm ORD-LHR on Wednesday and I can't figure out where the menu is.
Old May 9, 2022, 8:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by dinoscool3
Are they still doing the menu in the app on the trial flights? I'm ORD-LHR on Wednesday and I can't figure out where the menu is.
I am on the same route tomorrow. No menu in the app either, at least that I could find.

I actually wasn't aware they were doing this. Are all ex-USA TATL menus identical still?
Old May 9, 2022, 10:59 am

Programs: AC SE100K / ALL Diamond
Flew AMS-SFO yesterday on my first time on United in several years. I had a stuffed chicken dish after takeoff, and a cheeseburger before landing. The stuffed chicken was just ok, the burger was not very good. I was also surprised United still serves everything on a single tray, no menu, etc.

It's interesting that they still claim the single-tray dining is for COVID reasons. I almost exclusively fly Air Canada, who returned to multi-course dining several months ago - and Canada is a lot more restrictive than the US in terms of COVID policy.
PACLipper likes this.
Old May 9, 2022, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by dinoscool3
Originally Posted by goodeats21
I am on the same route tomorrow. No menu in the app either, at least that I could find.

I actually wasn't aware they were doing this. Are all ex-USA TATL menus identical still?
Menus have not changed - beef, fish, or pasta.

The virtual menus would be posted on the intranet landing page for your flight, so not visible in advance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.