Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2022 Let's Eat - Economy Class (Worldwide) & Premium Plus (Domestic)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2022 Let's Eat - Economy Class (Worldwide) & Premium Plus (Domestic)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2022, 5:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by ualboston1k
Thanks team. UA's website says special meals like GF are returning in Q2. So should be fine for summer.

My concern is since the system says 'No Meal" there isn't even an option to order a special meal should I want one.
This is frequently wrong. There are meals LHR-BOS
MatthewLAX likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2022, 7:00 pm

It's an overnight flight, leaving BOS at 11 pm! That means you will want to go right to sleep after takeoff, and since it lasts only 6 1/2 hours (less with tailwinds), you won't get much sleep if you insist on waking up for the "breakfast" served about 5 hours after takeoff... You'll be exhausted upon arrival.

For that short route, better off taking the BA day flight that leaves at 7 am, and arrives around 6:30 pm. One meal and a nap, but no lost overnight sleep.

In other words, the presence/absence of a meal is no reason to choose this UA flight.
Old Mar 8, 2022, 7:01 pm

the flight will have meals
MatthewLAX likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2022, 7:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Can someone comment on offerings on Y TATL right now.

typicslly, wife and kids request AVML, which is said to be available Q2, but somehow I doubt that means April 1, which is when we are flying SFO-LHR. Wife is pretty much vegan, which I suspect doesn’t leave a lot of options without the special order available, but kids are vegetarian but not vegan. I know pre-pandemic one of the meal options was always a veggie pasta - anyone know if this is the case currently? Kids will definitely be fine with that, but just trying to make sure they will have that option beyond whatever we bring (we always have something a bit more than a snack).

while I definitely wish they had the special meal options, at minimum, just trying to know what we should expect.
Old Mar 11, 2022, 1:58 am

Originally Posted by emcampbe
Can someone comment on offerings on Y TATL right now.

typicslly, wife and kids request AVML, which is said to be available Q2, but somehow I doubt that means April 1, which is when we are flying SFO-LHR. Wife is pretty much vegan, which I suspect doesn’t leave a lot of options without the special order available, but kids are vegetarian but not vegan. I know pre-pandemic one of the meal options was always a veggie pasta - anyone know if this is the case currently? Kids will definitely be fine with that, but just trying to make sure they will have that option beyond whatever we bring (we always have something a bit more than a snack).

while I definitely wish they had the special meal options, at minimum, just trying to know what we should expect.
On April 1st - the economy offerings on SFO-LHR are orzo chicken or mushroom & spinach manicotti. Served with an apple wheat berry grain salad. There is a mid-flight snack which is either a chipotle turkey and cheddar on honey roll or apple & smoked gouda on honey roll.
emcampbe likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2022, 6:43 am

Originally Posted by AndyPatterson
It's an overnight flight, leaving BOS at 11 pm! That means you will want to go right to sleep after takeoff, and since it lasts only 6 1/2 hours (less with tailwinds), you won't get much sleep if you insist on waking up for the "breakfast" served about 5 hours after takeoff... You'll be exhausted upon arrival.

For that short route, better off taking the BA day flight that leaves at 7 am, and arrives around 6:30 pm. One meal and a nap, but no lost overnight sleep.

In other words, the presence/absence of a meal is no reason to choose this UA flight.
I'm considering booking award travel (which means I need to travel on UA) and am concerned my daughter with Celiac will have no food options. Correct that 11 PM is not meal time, but the return flight home is right during dinner hours.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 11, 2022 at 10:34 am Reason: Let's stay civil and stay focused on the issue
Old Mar 11, 2022, 11:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by starflyer84
On April 1st - the economy offerings on SFO-LHR are orzo chicken or mushroom & spinach manicotti. Served with an apple wheat berry grain salad. There is a mid-flight snack which is either a chipotle turkey and cheddar on honey roll or apple & smoked gouda on honey roll.
thanks for this. Just curious where you got this info, and if there is a place one can go to look this up. I know some foreign carriers allow you to look up the meals by flight info, but I’ve never seen that ability on UA.
Old Mar 17, 2022, 10:58 pm

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
Dinner EWR-LAX PP mid-February

Choices were chicken or pasta. (Shocking, I know. Always something new and different. )

Dinner. Was filling and tasted OK. Pretzel roll was somewhat warm. Ravioli was the other option.

Wine server, pretty much after I finished much of my main.

Service was provided only at meal times and was brusque at best. No beverage runs other than at meal times.
thejaredhuang likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2022, 11:36 pm

Tru Fru chocolate covered banana bits are really good. I imagined the freeze-fried banana to be like banana chips, but it's actually really airy and then it turns soft and juicy in your mouth and goes really well with chocolate. One bag's $5 total and essentially comes to $3.75 if you use the Chase UA card. But it's a small portion so I still thought it was a rip-off.

So I looked into ordering it online, and it turns out it's hard to beat UA's price.
For example, on Walmart.com, you have to buy bulk (x12) and it comes out to ~$43 with tax, which is ~$3.50 per bag and that's the bulk price.
Next time I will probably buy 3-4 bags to take home.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Apr 11, 2022, 11:01 am

Programs: UA 1MM 1K, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist, status-free on AA, AS, B6, DL, WN, Amtrak, etc.
Just had the current incarnation of the burger--with bacon, caramelized onions, cheese and BBQ sauce--and it's really good. The toppings added a sweet+savory combination that didn't need any ketchup or mustard. I'd have no problem ordering it again... which seems likely to happen, considering what full airplanes have been doing to my upgrade percentage.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Apr 11, 2022, 9:40 pm

Programs: UA
EWR-JNB

Chicken with orzo, same from last 3 or so years, still excellent IMO, one of my favorite dishes

unitedbusiness likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2022, 12:54 am

Programs: UA Plat, DL Plat, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hyatt Globalist
SFO to LHR in Y

Date: 4.15.22
Route: SFO to LHR
UA 901

Ordered the newly reinstated AVML and was very happy with it. Better than Polaris meals I’ve had lately.

Chickpea and Veggie Curry with a small pita bread and grain salad for Dinner

Pita with veggies and cookie for a mid flight snack

Same oatmeal from Polaris served with fresh fruit and bread roll.

Highly recommend! Loved that they served plain yogurt instead of the sugary stuff.
SPN Lifer, uastarflyer and lhrsfo like this.
Old Apr 17, 2022, 7:48 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by warreng24
Complimentary Meal Service is available in Economy Plus for the following:
  • Premium transcontinental service flights
Is this still accurate? I use to opt for the BoB anyways but it's nice to have a side of fruit and the little dessert.
Will be flying EWR-LAX and back soon and I know my chances of upgrade are nil. Maybe PP if I'm lucky. I'm guessing I should fill up in the PL regardless.
Old Apr 17, 2022, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by r_tsunami
Date: 4.15.22
Route: SFO to LHR
UA 901

Ordered the newly reinstated AVML and was very happy with it. Better than Polaris meals I’ve had lately.

Chickpea and Veggie Curry with a small pita bread and grain salad for Dinner

Pita with veggies and cookie for a mid flight snack

Same oatmeal from Polaris served with fresh fruit and bread roll.

Highly recommend! Loved that they served plain yogurt instead of the sugary stuff.
Have hot pre-arrival meals returned or was this just your special meal? Did you notice what your neighbors were served prior to landing?
Old Apr 19, 2022, 10:56 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
4/14 UA 953 ORD-MUC 1810-0945 787-8

Disappointing that there still aren't cocktails in Economy. Also the only beers were Stella or Michelob

Entrees were a vegetable stir fry (pictured) or a vegetable quinoa dish. I was really surprised it was two vegetables. This was pretty good but a chicken/beef/shrimp would have made it better

And breakfast rounds out the meal. United: we're barely even trying.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.