Community
Wiki Posts
Search

US westbound fuel stops (Late Dec 2021)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 25, 2021, 4:24 pm
Original Poster

US westbound fuel stops (Late Dec 2021)

UA 2303 is being proactively diverted to IAH, ostensibly for fuel. The ground staff in IAD is blaming it on high winds in San Diego……but considering the metars in SAN don’t support that assertion, it’s more like IMHO winds aloft that necessitate a gas n’ go in Houston.

if so, why do you suppose that UA prefers to do a 90 min diversion to Houston on Christmas Day, on the A320, as opposed to offloading some belly cargo in IAD, so as to onload more fuel and operate nonstop?
Old Dec 25, 2021, 4:42 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by IAATM

if so, why do you suppose that UA prefers to do a 90 min diversion to Houston on Christmas Day, on the A320, as opposed to offloading some belly cargo in IAD, so as to onload more fuel and operate nonstop?
Some cargo can't be offloaded due to contractual issues - and the A320 might have been the only plane with pilots available
Old Dec 25, 2021, 5:06 pm
Ted

Programs: UA 1P MM, HH G, Marriott G
Kind of something heard on the train from Oakland to Sacramento.

PA Announcement: The bad news is that we've stopped because the bridge ahead of us is raised for a ship to pass. The good news is that we've found out about it now....
samplat, nnn, uanj and 10 others like this.
Old Dec 25, 2021, 5:34 pm

Programs: UA-G MM, Priority Club Platinum, Avis First, Hertz 5*, Red Lion
UA 2303 is being proactively diverted to IAH, ostensibly for fuel. The ground staff in IAD is blaming it on high winds in San Diego……but considering the metars in SAN don’t support that assertion, it’s more like IMHO winds aloft that necessitate a gas n’ go in Houston.

The direct route has the jet headwinds in the 120-130 mph range so you would have to fuel up somewhere in Denver or before and a longer trip maybe or take a more southerly route avoid some winds, save some gas. Some of these wb transcons on the 75s used to take 6 hrs of flight time so this isn't that unusual. The 320s just don't have the 6 hr legs when the jet fires up.
Daze, SPN Lifer, milski and 2 others like this.
Old Dec 25, 2021, 5:50 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
If they could have unloaded some cargo and gone they would have. The very strong winds aloft would likely have required leaving quite a few passengers behind.
Old Dec 25, 2021, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
B6 is notorious for these kinds of fuel stops on A320s on their transcons and near-transcons when headwinds are high. Seems to be a function of that particular aircraft, not a function of any particular airline.
dw, Daze, uanj and 2 others like this.
Old Dec 25, 2021, 6:14 pm

Programs: DL 2 MM Unobtainum | UA 1.1MM Gold | MR Bonvoy Titanium

It’s not a diversion if it’s preplanned. It would be considered a fuel stop prior to departure.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Dec 25, 2021, 7:19 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
I'm guessing a similar story for UA354 BWI-SFO? Google etc. say "diverted to DEN" but from the event log at FlightStats there is a "Redirected/diverted" entry several hours before takeoff.

https://www.flightstats.com/v2/fligh...tId=1079491967

just caught my eye, as I'm booked on this flight in a few days. Looks like they got to SFO a bit under 2 hrs late, which I suppose isn't too awful all things considered.
Old Dec 25, 2021, 8:32 pm

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
SAN also has this problem of only having instrument landing system (ILS) on Runway 9 (west to east). The wind tonight will be strong enough SW with showers which can bring the ceiling and visibility down briefly so landing on Runway 27 (east to west) is not possible, and Runway 9 is not usable due to tail winds and wet runway. With such weather, extra fuel reserve for diversion is required and with the distance and head winds aloft, there's no room to satisfy these requirements.
dw, joshua362, SPN Lifer and 4 others like this.
Old Dec 25, 2021, 8:46 pm

UA1742 IAD-SFO (a 738) made unplanned stop in DEN today - guessing to refuel.
Old Dec 25, 2021, 9:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Been on a few mid-winter IAD-LAX flights that fought these headwinds. 6+ hours in an A319/A320 or 738/9 are/were interminable. Some of the worst were the end of day 10 pm depart runs. Fuel stop(s) just make them even longer.

David
Old Dec 26, 2021, 12:15 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, HHonors Diamond, National Exec, Hertz PC, Nexus
There's a good chance they cut the freight ahead of time. I don't know what UA's offload priorities are, but when I was a load master with America West, the only must-ride cargo items were comail (like company documents), AOG (aircraft parts), and human remains. We would offload passengers for weight before we'd remove a single bag.
lincolnjkc likes this.
Old Dec 26, 2021, 8:45 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by Zorak
I'm guessing a similar story for UA354 BWI-SFO? Google etc. say "diverted to DEN" but from the event log at FlightStats there is a "Redirected/diverted" entry several hours before takeoff.

https://www.flightstats.com/v2/fligh...tId=1079491967

just caught my eye, as I'm booked on this flight in a few days. Looks like they got to SFO a bit under 2 hrs late, which I suppose isn't too awful all things considered.
Today's UA354 (currently over Indiana) is also "diverting" to DEN.
Old Dec 26, 2021, 8:55 am

Programs: UA-G MM, Priority Club Platinum, Avis First, Hertz 5*, Red Lion
The jet continues to howl in a largely zonal flow.

Old Dec 26, 2021, 9:13 am

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Originally Posted by AirbusFan2B
UA1742 IAD-SFO (a 738) made unplanned stop in DEN today - guessing to refuel.
That's it. Looks like the IAD-DEN flight plan came up with a nearly 6-1/2 hour flight time for just the IAD-DEN leg!

Good day to fly eastbound!
wxguy, lincolnjkc and AirbusFan2B like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.