Community
Wiki Posts
Search

US westbound fuel stops (Late Dec 2021)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2021, 9:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
We get a similar thread most every winter. Fuel stops are also sometimes required on the narrowbodies westbound from Europe. And of course there can occasionally be large scale IDBs and/or cancels on the narrowbodies to Hawaii from the west coast.
kochleffel and mnhusker like this.
Old Dec 26, 2021, 11:39 am

Programs: UA Premier Platinum, DL Platinum
Originally Posted by prestonh
The jet continues to howl in a largely zonal flow.

Does this explain why IAD-SAN would have diverted to IAH and not DEN? I was surprised they'd haul well out of the way for a pit stop when Denver was almost right on the flight path.
Old Dec 26, 2021, 11:58 am

Programs: UA-G MM, Priority Club Platinum, Avis First, Hertz 5*, Red Lion
Originally Posted by ezefllying
Does this explain why IAD-SAN would have diverted to IAH and not DEN? I was surprised they'd haul well out of the way for a pit stop when Denver was almost right on the flight path.
The last couple of flights have taken a southerly route most likely due to strong winds aloft.

Old Dec 26, 2021, 12:53 pm

About 7 years ago I had to fly CLT-SFO. After sitting on the plane for almost 2 hours, we took off. We then flew south to Florida, hooked a right and flew west to California, took another right north to SFO. I think we were on that plane for over 8 hours. This was all to avoid storms.

But you ask why IAH and not DEN. Sounds like a lot of planes were going to DEN already. Maybe gas was more pleantiful in IAH or they saved 5 cents a gallon by using their IAH rewards card.
DELee and huey_driver like this.
Old Dec 26, 2021, 1:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
In addition to longer fight times and some diversions, this is leading to some very unusual flight altitudes.

Today's UA424 IAD-SFO :

and UA788 EWR-SFO :

Roughly halt the flight at FL240/FL260. Lower altitude increases fuel burn, although in this case presumably less than the effects of the wind at higher latitudes.
Old Dec 26, 2021, 2:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by Zorak
I'm guessing a similar story for UA354 BWI-SFO? Google etc. say "diverted to DEN" but from the event log at FlightStats there is a "Redirected/diverted" entry several hours before takeoff.

https://www.flightstats.com/v2/fligh...tId=1079491967

just caught my eye, as I'm booked on this flight in a few days. Looks like they got to SFO a bit under 2 hrs late, which I suppose isn't too awful all things considered.
Originally Posted by Zorak
Today's UA354 (currently over Indiana) is also "diverting" to DEN.
I saw this bird on FR24 while heading to DEN for my flight home. The app said a “customer issue”, while FLIFO showed no comments.
Old Dec 26, 2021, 3:10 pm

Programs: none
"proactively diverted, ostensibly for fuel."

??

What' the big deal? Pilots base their fuel consumption on aircraft performance, route and weather on EVERY flight. It's one of the first things we ever learn. (Somertimes weather changes) . You can trust that the people who plan and fly the planes have access to much more infomation than the average FT reader does, and they know what they're doing.
Old Dec 26, 2021, 3:20 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Originally Posted by ezefllying
Yes. They'd route where the headwinds are the lowest.

Six hours in a 100 mph headwind is like flying an additional 600 miles in still air.
ExplorerWannabe likes this.
Old Dec 26, 2021, 3:28 pm

Originally Posted by docbert
In addition to longer fight times and some diversions, this is leading to some very unusual flight altitudes.

Today's UA424 IAD-SFO :

and UA788 EWR-SFO :

Roughly halt the flight at FL240/FL260. Lower altitude increases fuel burn, although in this case presumably less than the effects of the wind at higher latitudes.
At standard heights going from ~38,000 to 24,000 ft of std altitude doubles the pressure from 200kpa to 400 kpa. How much that increases fuel burn at cruise idk.
Old Dec 27, 2021, 12:02 am

Programs: Alaska MVPG, Delta PM, AA EXP, Wannabe SkyWest 1K
UA 343, a 777, 3:45 take off to touch down SFO-IAD. Ground speed above 700 mph for a good portion of cruise.
Old Dec 27, 2021, 9:15 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat, AS MVPG
Originally Posted by PotomacApproach
UA 343, a 777, 3:45 take off to touch down SFO-IAD. Ground speed above 700 mph for a good portion of cruise.
Woof. UA1978 (EWR-SFO), a 777, was almost seven hours aloft yesterday after accounting for a go-around on approach to SFO (plane on runway...)
Old Dec 27, 2021, 10:06 am

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Originally Posted by PotomacApproach
Wow! Imagine how fast he could have made the Kessel run!

I hope he didn't descend to find dinosaurs where Washington should have been!
trooper, wrp96 and FreqFlyerCLE like this.
Old Dec 27, 2021, 11:09 am

Flying on united 746 which was EWR-LAS on a 757 which now has a fuel stop in Dallas..

confused why a 757 even with high winds can’t Make it to Vegas without a stop? Flown 757 west from Europe with high winds all the time…
Old Dec 27, 2021, 11:11 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jp12687
Flying on united 746 which was EWR-LAS on a 757 which now has a fuel stop in Dallas..

confused why a 757 even with high winds can’t Make it to Vegas without a stop? Flown 757 west from Europe with high winds all the time…
Better safe than sorry - especially with mountains on the way
ExplorerWannabe likes this.
Old Dec 27, 2021, 11:26 am

Originally Posted by jp12687

Because the upper level winds are in excess of 200 mph and the lower level winds down to 18000 ft or so of 40-80 kts headwinds extend from the gulf to the Canadian border. Nowhere else to fly really wb.
wrp96 and ExplorerWannabe like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.